/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Why can't it all go right at the same time?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why can't it all go right at the same time?

Originally posted by elmeroil View Post

I haven't broke 80 for 3 years and I've come close but I just can't bring it all together for a round which I know is so tough to do. I've played 16 rounds so far this season and my best score is 84.

I'm looking forward to it all coming together sometime this summer!
    16 rounds = ~ 60 hours on course.

How many hours practicing ? (Especially short game ?)

Analyze your rounds, where are you losing ~12 shots every time ?

That's what to practice.

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
      It's just putting too much mental pressure on yourself instead of just PLAYING. It's a good possibility that you may have broken 90 if you didn't know beforehand what you needed to do to get there over the two remaining holes.
      Lionel, played Copetown last Monday for 36, i wasn't using a scorecard and was using an app on my phone, I really didnt know what I shot on the front 9 until I put in the 9th hole score, total was 39... I JUST HAVE TO SEE IT!!! It went downhill after that 39 with 2 putts

It's like what the title says, you just can't have em all
      Cobra King F7
      Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
      Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
      Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
      Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
      Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Originally posted by imAnewbie View Post
        Lionel, played Copetown last Monday for 36, i wasn't using a scorecard and was using an app on my phone, I really didnt know what I shot on the front 9 until I put in the 9th hole score, total was 39... I JUST HAVE TO SEE IT!!! It went downhill after that 39 with 2 putts

It's like what the title says, you just can't have em all
        Nino, I firmly believe it's the "number" that gets into the golfer's head. When I had that round at RA, I definitely knew that I was playing well but I refused to add it up to find out just how well. Turned out that I had one bogie and no birdies (lipped out or burned the edge 6 times), but my short game was amazing (up & down 7 times). But I was determined to pay no attention to the numbers. That day, it worked like a charm.
        I wish I could bring that up again now, but I'm not playing and/or practicing daily any longer.
        U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Agree with everyone else for the most part, it's a state of mind, every shot try to execute to the best of your ability and the score will take care of itself. I've broken 80 three times in my life, first time fortunately wasn't a 79 to just squeak it in, was a 77, but damn it feels good knowing you have the stuff to get there. starting out this year I have been very consistent to the low 80's, throwing the odd 86 or 87 in there, but 81's 82's, they are all still good numbers, just have to relax and get that day where everything will work.

cheers,

Comment

Man i can relate to this so much. Just this past week i started the first 5 holes at even par (birdy on the first and bogey on the 4th), and i was almost certain that it would be the day i would break 80 because i was flushing every shot. Turns our i missed it by a few stroked because i looked to far ahead.

Next step, one hole at a time....
            What's in the bag?
            RBZ Tour 10.5
            RBZ Stage 2 3W
            RBZ Stage 2 3h
            RBZ HP Irons 4-AW
            Nike VR Pro 56 and 60 Wedge
            Odyssey Black TD 9 Putter

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
              It's just putting too much mental pressure on yourself instead of just PLAYING. It's a good possibility that you may have broken 90 if you didn't know beforehand what you needed to do to get there over the two remaining holes.
              I'm guilty of this. I need to get into the mindset of "just play".

Comment

In spite of all the responses that recommend not keeping track of the score while you play that doesn't work for me. Knowing that I am off to a good start actually relieves the pressure because I know how much contingency I have left for a good score. It is also important to know how to play the last few holes depending on the score.
                Having said that it is still important to play each shot as an independent game. Go through your routine and play each shot to the best of your ability.
                I do agree with the other posters who recommend keeping your stats so you can figure out what the real weak parts of your game are. For example my goal this year is to increase GIRs based on looking at last year's stats and seeing how close a correlation there is between GIR and scores.
                Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

Just finished my round and shot 87 today. The putting is killing me, 15 putts on the front 19 on the back and 3x3 putts. Also took a 7 on a par 3 which killed it all. Off to the putting green later.

Comment

Here's a good story for you guys about looking/reading into scores.

St. Andrews Old Course I was -2 through 5 holes. After sinking that last birdie my caddie gave me a look that i could only read as "You are playing amazing, let's keep this going." When i saw that look and read it so, i told him. "Don't get to excited, I'm sure the wheels will fall of soon." From that point on it got in my head of how well i was doing and as i expected the wheel started falling off. Wasn't so much looking at my score card, it was me keeping track of the bogeys and pars i was making after that point. To much "i need to make this shot to get a par" or "i need this for birdie".

End of the day, i finished up shooting an 84. Still kicking myself to this day wondering what i could have shot if i didn't get in my head about playing so well and just had fun being out there.
                    A wise Scot once said to me while wishing me well "Take care out there, hit it straight and not to often."

D - Cobra Amp
                    3W - NIke
                    4 to G - Cobra Amp
                    53 - Nike
                    59 - Trusy Rusty
                    Putter - Nike (left side)

Comment

Originally posted by elmeroil View Post
                      Just finished my round and shot 87 today. The putting is killing me, 15 putts on the front 19 on the back and 3x3 putts. Also took a 7 on a par 3 which killed it all. Off to the putting green later.
                      34 putts is two under par putting.

Though not many golfers hit 18 gir

With a more realistic target of ~10 gir, that would make the "putt-par" ~32 putts for a mid 70's round.

Clearly you are losing strokes elsewhere, i.e. what's causing you to miss the greens ?

If you don't realistically analyze your game, improvement will be ..... slow

Here's an experiment for you :

Imagine you were offered a million dollars to break 80 on a moderately difficult
                      course (like presumably the one you played today).

How would you play your round differently than you did today ?

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post
                        34 putts is two under par putting.

Though not many golfers hit 18 gir

With a more realistic target of ~10 gir, that would make the "putt-par" ~32 putts for a mid 70's round.

Clearly you are losing strokes elsewhere, i.e. what's causing you to miss the greens ?

If you don't realistically analyze your game, improvement will be ..... slow

Here's an experiment for you :

Imagine you were offered a million dollars to break 80 on a moderately difficult
                        course (like presumably the one you played today).

How would you play your round differently than you did today ?
                        I'm not a long hitter I have a surgically repaired knee so my balance can be tough to keep in check. I miss a lot of gir (often coming up just a bit short) so I definitely rely on chipping and putting. I'm sure if there was money on the line I would practice more. I just spent an hour on the putting green and I definitely don't practice enough. I can generally expect to make 30-33 putts but I am aiming to average 30 putts per round. My knee doesn't really affect my putting so I can make up strokes there.

Some would say with a crap knee the 70's aren't realistic but I don't agree. I know I will get there.

Comment

I'd take something going right just some of the time. My game has fallen off a cliff the past few weeks. At the start of the season things seemed in reasonable order from being away all winter. Now I can't hit a tee shot to save my life. It's not just one club that is bad. They all are. My HI has gine up by 3 strokes in the last 3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                            I'd take something going right just some of the time. My game has fallen off a cliff the past few weeks. At the start of the season things seemed in reasonable order from being away all winter. Now I can't hit a tee shot to save my life. It's not just one club that is bad. They all are. My HI has gine up by 3 strokes in the last 3 weeks.
                            Well I can't say it all went right tonight but it sure went a heck of a lot better than it has otherwise! I'm back baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                              Well I can't say it all went right tonight but it sure went a heck of a lot better than it has otherwise! I'm back baby!
                              You shouldn't have said that.

Comment

Originally posted by habdul View Post
                                Next step, one hole at a time....
                                After that, its one shot at a time

That's what we love about this game, there is no "perfect" round, there is always something you could have done better. I've been playing for 30 years and am usually between a 8-10 index.

My best round was a 1 under 71 at Crosswinds, but in order to do it, I hit 15 greens in reg and didn't miss a fairway. The maddening part, if there is such a thing, I was in front of the green in two on all the Par 5s and only parred them, if I get up and down on only two, I shoot 69 !!

Improve your short game and 70s will come more and more often.
                                Last edited by duffer_devon; Jun 4, 2015, 11:54 AM.
                                Take it one shot at a time

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X