Shorter Driver Shaft Help

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorter Driver Shaft Help

Hi,

I'm cheap and buy old, fixed shaft drivers mostly but last year picked up a Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta driver which has a removable/adjustable shaft.

I'm not in love with it - empirically it's not out performing either of my Adam's 9064 options, however I'd liked to try it at 43".

I'm wondering, can I just buy or have someone make me a 43" shaft with the right adaptor that I could easily swap in an out of this driver? Sorry, I'm really new to these adjustable shaft deals ;-)

I'm assuming I might need some tape or other on the head to manage swing weight by doing this?

P

Re: Shorter Driver Shaft Help

tell us more about your E8 Exotics driver, ie. spec's -loft, type of shaft, flex and length as it is now. That driver loft is very adjustable. Have you tried all the lofts?

My older fixed-head TE Exotics is 10.5*, with the then stock Aldila NV 65s at 45".
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
      tell us more about your E8 Exotics driver, ie. spec's -loft, type of shaft, flex and length as it is now. That driver loft is very adjustable. Have you tried all the lofts?

My older fixed-head TE Exotics is 10.5*, with the then stock Aldila NV 65s at 45".
      It's stock now so I suppose 45"ish". Aldila Rogue Silver in X-Stiff.. I like the shaft, just thinking I'd get another shaft with the right adaptor to see how well a 43" length would do for me.

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
        ...to see how well a 43" length would do for me.
        Just a thought, and what i'm experimenting with in my back yard ATM: just grip down by 2" and see what happens before you start spending cash, and go from there.

Comment

It's stock now so I suppose 45"ish". Aldila Rogue Silver in X-Stiff.. I like the shaft, just thinking I'd get another shaft with the right adaptor to see how well a 43" length would do for me.
          rogue silver is low launch -low spin,so unless you have the SS in excess of 105 it won't give you much.

Why not look at the Rogue Black,and start at 45".
          both of these shafts are butt trim.
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
            rogue silver is low launch -low spin,so unless you have the SS in excess of 105 it won't give you much.

Why not look at the Rogue Black,and start at 45".
            both of these shafts are butt trim.
            Swing Speed is ~115. I'm happy with a new shaft, just like to go short to see if it helps with dispersion.

Comment

Swing Speed is ~115. I'm happy with a new shaft, just like to go short to see if it helps with dispersion.

If you play a shape, check that you follow the setup for that shape every time.
              You want the dispersion pattern to assume a dominance,either left or right of the target line.
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

You can absolutely build the driver shaft with the same adapter to play 43. However, if you do this...the swingweight will be very very light....likely low C.

A better idea is to grip down 1/2 inch at a time while adding the appropriate amount of lead tape to the head. Once you find a length and weight you like...you can have a new shaft built with a tip weight and add hot melt to the head.

Basically experiment with a non premnant set up...when you find what you like...build it correctly.
                Titleist 915 D2
                Titleist 915 F
                Wishon 929 F
                Wishon 775 Hybrid
                PING i5 Irons
                PING Tour S Rustique 52*
                PING Anser 56*
                PING Glide ES 60*
                MannKrafted Rattler XL
                MannKrafted Midwave
                SGC 902 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by mcarrejola View Post
                  You can absolutely build the driver shaft with the same adapter to play 43. However, if you do this...the swingweight will be very very light....likely low C.

A better idea is to grip down 1/2 inch at a time while adding the appropriate amount of lead tape to the head. Once you find a length and weight you like...you can have a new shaft built with a tip weight and add hot melt to the head.

Basically experiment with a non premnant set up...when you find what you like...build it correctly.
                  Thanks that's what I wondered weight .. maybe will try with some tape..

Comment

Re: Shorter Driver Shaft

I read a 'home fitting' article recently on making adjustments to my driver. Ultimately cut it down an inch from 45.5" to 44.5" and was surprised how much of a difference it made at the range.

Last week I played 10 rounds down in Florida and was amazed by the results. Not only was I hitting more fairways (a LOT more) but I probably picked up 10-20 yards in length which was the biggest surprise.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X