Collapse

GOLF ADVISOR - TOP 10 ORLANDO COURSES

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLF ADVISOR - TOP 10 ORLANDO COURSES

Yes, yet another Orlando thread!! (Those who dislike them generally never get to go) - I'm heading for a boyz golf junket in late March and looking to narrow down my picks.

Anyway, Golf Advisor's 'Top 10' as of today:

http://www.golfadvisor.com/destinations/41-orlando-fl/

3 questions for those who have played in Orlando in the past 3-6 months:

1. Do you vehemently disagree with any of the picks?
    2. If so, why?
    3. How much did you pay, and was it in the ranges outlined on GA?

Final question
    :

Best course to play within 15 min. of MCO??

As always, greatly appreciate my fellow 'nutters'.

Cheers,

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Re: GOLF ADVISOR - TOP 10 ORLANDO COURSES

1. No
    2. n/a
    3. ChampionsGate Country Club, Sunday Jan 22: $49 Wide fairways that appeared to have recently been punched. Huge greens. Best greens
    so far - fast and smooth. Good bunkers. 4:00 for 18 and then played 9 hole replay in 90 minutes. We are a 3 some. Windy and rainy but we played.

Orange County National feels too artificial for me.

Southern Dunes is not on the list. It is good and tough. $99.

15 mins from MCO will only get you to Lake Nona (private). Just go to Nona Blue Tavern and you might run into GMac.

Comment

Final question

Google Maps is your friend

Rio Pinar - NE of the airport, flat, good layout, good greens, fairways lined with pine trees

Eagle Creek - probably the best nearby, good course all round

North Shore - flat, good layout, a variety of holes

Hunter's Creek - good choice if you're heading towards 192
      ----
      Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

Going in late March as well. Planning to play both OC courses (played them before and they are great). Will probably also play Disney Palm or Magnolia and haven't decided on the last.

Comment

I can only speak to Reunion Watson since I haven't played the other ones.

I liked Reunion Watson but it was not as good as Reunion Nicklaus in my opinion. I did think Reunion Watson was better than Reunion Palmer though.

We actually stayed on the resort so we got a discount on greens fees. But all 3 were excellent (Watson/Nicklaus/Palmer) and would recommend to anybody.

Great driving range and short game area too.

Comment

It's difficult to know if that's a paid list, but let's assume it's unbiased as most of those are right up there. But not sure how Championsgate gets the #9 spot, so its tough for me to believe the list.

Your best best is to search TGN for Orlando. So many of us have listed (unbiased) reviews of golf in Orlando that TGN should be your golf "advisor".

Agreed about the Watson course. I go to Reunion a few times a year and heading down again next week. Although, this time, I'm gonna make it my mission to play....Mission.

When asking about Orlando, here are some things we'll need to know (in order to let you know the "best" courses...
            - What area are you staying in?
            - How much time do you have, how many rounds?
            - How far are you willing to drive?
            - Handicap?
            - Budget?
            - What KIND of golf? For me, I dislike links style.

*Edit: Just saw the fine print at the bottom of the list... "Courses with the highest golfer ratings (minimum 10 reviews to qualify)". So it seems a lot of golfers loved Championsgate. I'd suggest then that they haven't played much golf in Orlando. Good courses there, but not good enough to make it #9. So the top ten list title is deceiving.
            Last edited by synergy; Feb 12, 2017, 02:15 PM.
            – Greg

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
              It's difficult to know if that's a paid list, but let's assume it's unbiased as most of those are right up there. But not sure how Championsgate gets the #9 spot, so its tough for me to believe the list.

Your best best is to search TGN for Orlando. So many of us have listed (unbiased) reviews of golf in Orlando that TGN should be your golf "advisor".

Agreed about the Watson course. I go to Reunion a few times a year and heading down again next week. Although, this time, I'm gonna make it my mission to play....Mission.

When asking about Orlando, here are some things we'll need to know (in order to let you know the "best" courses...
              - Handicap?
              - Budget?

*Edit: Just saw the fine print at the bottom of the list... "Courses with the highest golfer ratings (minimum 10 reviews to qualify)". So it seems a lot of golfers loved Championsgate. I'd suggest then that they haven't played much golf in Orlando. Good courses there, but not good enough to make it #9. So the top ten list title is deceiving.

I think you may have Champions Gate Country Club confused with the courses at the Omni (International and National). They have nothing to do with the country club course. It has a lone 18 and the clubhouse there is a trailer.

As for the list, I've played them all except #2, 3, and 6 (I tend to avoid the $100+ courses due to the value presented at other properties), but it looks pretty good to me. For me, it comes down to finding a course that I enjoy playing that won't break the bank. I find it hard to believe that Tranquilo will provide me 2-3x more enjoyment than OCN, but if money isn't a factor then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                Y
                http://www.golfadvisor.com/destinations/41-orlando-fl/

3 questions for those who have played in Orlando in the past 3-6 months:

1. Do you vehemently disagree with any of the picks?
                2. If so, why?
                3. How much did you pay, and was it in the ranges outlined on GA?

Final question
                :
                I played three of those ten in a visit down there and think that the rankings are reasonable. The Waldorf is probably overrated. It's tough, the greens are lightening fast, and service is top notch; however, the course didn't have any real character.

Bella Collina is great - bit of a drive, but so is Mission Inn. Bella's clubhouse is luxurious and relaxing - you'll need that before or after a round there as the course is completely wild.

If you're going to do Grand Cypress, I'd say try and fit in one on the new and one on the North and South; the East nine is horrid - doesn't fit in with the property and has holes littered with range balls thanks to its proximity to the academy.

Orange Lake Legends is an underrated gem next to Disney. You'll often find great deals there.

A 90 minute drive away is World Woods - both courses have been ranked in the top 100 you can play.

If you don't mind escaping the downtown/ Disney area, there is a lot of variety to be found along with some amazing deals. I doubt you'll complain too much about a $20 round with 6 tall boys for $12.

Were I to go again, I'd include a couple of Southern Dunes, Mission Inn, and a local like Dubsdread or Metro West. It depends on your preferences for types of courses and what you like in terms of atmosphere.

- Handicap?
                - Budget?

^ All great advice.
                Golfadvisor.com is a great resource and the rankings are based on actual reviews, not money, so it can be helpful.
                In the bag:
                R15 12° PXV 6.0
                SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
                Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
                Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
                Vokey SM5 54, 58
                Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by copter View Post
                  I think you may have Champions Gate Country Club confused with the courses at the Omni (International and National). They have nothing to do with the country club course. It has a lone 18 and the clubhouse there is a trailer.

As for the list, I've played them all except #2, 3, and 6 (I tend to avoid the $100+ courses due to the value presented at other properties), but it looks pretty good to me. For me, it comes down to finding a course that I enjoy playing that won't break the bank. I find it hard to believe that Tranquilo will provide me 2-3x more enjoyment than OCN, but if money isn't a factor then go for it.
                  Ah, I see. You are correct, thanks for that. Is the Country Club private? I've never seen it on GN or Tee Times USA and would love to see if it deserves the 9th spot.
                  – Greg

Comment

CG Country Club, not the orig ones. Country Club is awesome.

Comment

Ah, I see. You are correct, thanks for that. Is the Country Club private? I've never seen it on GN or Tee Times USA and would love to see if it deserves the 9th spot.

It's going to eventually be private (once they sell enough houses in their development and build a clubhouse). It was on GN every day when I was there a couple of weeks ago at rates between $50-70.

Comment

Booked through 'Tee Times USA'...

Love their service, and they make it simple by packaging it all together, you pay a bit more, but you get advance booking that is convenient (Especially when timing is tight between rounds, etc.), you also get a few deals around free lunches, re-plays, range balls, etc...

Anyway, our 7 round line-up over the 4 days:

1. Champions Gate National Mar. 23 (12:40PM)
                        2. Eagle Creek Mar. 24 (8:10AM)
                        3. North Shore Golf Club Mar. 24 (1:50PM)
                        4. Orange County National Panther Lake Mar. 25 (8:20AM)
                        5. Orange County Crooked Cat Mar. 25 (1:50PM)
                        6. Celebration Mar. 26 (7:50AM)
                        7. Grand Cypress The New Course Mar. 26 (1:50PM)

Booked a nice condo through VRBO w/pool centrally located, etc. Can't wait, hopefully weather cooperates over the time we're there!!

Cheers,

- Ian
                        TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                        TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                        TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
                        TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
                        TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
                        * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
                        TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
                        TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
                        TM TP5 Golf Ball
                        Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                        SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
                        Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
                          Booked through 'Tee Times USA'...

Love their service, and they make it simple by packaging it all together, you pay a bit more, but you get advance booking that is convenient (Especially when timing is tight between rounds, etc.), you also get a few deals around free lunches, re-plays, range balls, etc...

Anyway, our 7 round line-up over the 4 days:

1. Champions Gate National Mar. 23 (12:40PM)
                          2. Eagle Creek Mar. 24 (8:10AM)
                          3. North Shore Golf Club Mar. 24 (1:50PM)
                          4. Orange County National Panther Lake Mar. 25 (8:20AM)
                          5. Orange County Crooked Cat Mar. 25 (1:50PM)
                          6. Celebration Mar. 26 (7:50AM)
                          7. Grand Cypress The New Course Mar. 26 (1:50PM)

Booked a nice condo through VRBO w/pool centrally located, etc. Can't wait, hopefully weather cooperates over the time we're there!!

Cheers,

- Ian
                          Sorry to tell you now but my friends played Champions Gate National in January just before the PGA show and said it was in poor condition. Both Champions Gate International and Champions Gate Country Club were fine. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by copter View Post
                            It's going to eventually be private (once they sell enough houses in their development and build a clubhouse). It was on GN every day when I was there a couple of weeks ago at rates between $50-70.
                            I played the Country Club today on a Hot Deal for $79. Front nine was rather uninspiring links style (not my kind of course), but conditions were really good.

Once on the back nine, it was like a different course, hilly and much more interesting. Group ahead got an ace, on an 80 yard par 3. Why 80 yards, I don't know, but we felt gipped playing a stupidly short hole. I bogied it though, so see the point to it now.

Interesting that there were no yardage sticks. Sprinkler heads, but no 150 stakes. No GPS either, so that made it a fun round figuring things out. Hit the back of just about every green.

Clubhouse amenities consisted of a contrsuction trailer, but that had zero impact. Great course, so worth playing.
                            – Greg

Comment

I played the Country Club today on a Hot Deal for $79. Front nine was rather uninspiring links style (not my kind of course), but conditions were really good.

Once on the back nine, it was like a different course, hilly and much more interesting. Group ahead got an ace, on an 80 yard par 3. Why 80 yards, I don't know, but we felt gipped playing a stupidly short hole. I bogied it though, so see the point to it now.

Interesting that there were no yardage sticks. Sprinkler heads, but no 150 stakes. No GPS either, so that made it a fun round figuring things out. Hit the back of just about every green.

Clubhouse amenities consisted of a contrsuction trailer, but that had zero impact. Great course, so worth playing.

I used my GPS on the course so didn't notice a lack of yardage markers. As for the 80 yard hole, was it #11? If so, it played full length when I was there. However, the elevation on the green more than makes up for any lack of length. Almost a guaranteed 3-putt if not on the right tier.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X