/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most over-rated golf course in the Toronto area that you played in 2016.

Originally posted by DCR23 View Post
    I wasn't as impressed with Glen Abby, my expectations based on the price /exclusivity may have been high but that comes to my mind on this thread.
    I may feel different if I played it in stroke play, but the only time I can play is at the company tourney and its scramble.
    If you went to play Glen Abbey thinking it had any sort of "exclusivity," there's no way you were ever coming out of there impressed in any manner.

Comment

Originally posted by DCR23 View Post
      I wasn't as impressed with Glen Abby, my expectations based on the price /exclusivity may have been high but that comes to my mind on this thread.
      I may feel different if I played it in stroke play, but the only time I can play is at the company tourney and its scramble.
      Other than the valley holes, which are quite scenic IMO, I didn't find the course that impressive.

Comment

Played Sleepy Hollow this year and was quite disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
          Other than the valley holes, which are quite scenic IMO, I didn't find the course that impressive.
          I think it would be a great course at $80. But it's not.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
            I think it would be a great course at $80. But it's not.
            Agreed. But a lot of courses would be more appealing at 40 - 50% off the rack rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
              Agreed. But a lot of courses would be more appealing at 40 - 50% off the rack rate.
              Yeah, like Ballantrae
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                Big fan of St.Andrews Valley. Great test. My only knock on it would be the par 5's.

My choice for "overrated" or overpriced would have to be Angus Glen.
                +1, you really can't hit a driver on three of the par fives.

Comment

Originally posted by wrigley View Post
                  +1, you really can't hit a driver on three of the par fives.
                  About Angus Glen, the South course. Many of you have mentioned it. Is it because of the price or the course itself? I rather like the course. #4, 9, 10 are very good holes and their are several other good ones. Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny View Post
                    About Angus Glen, the South course. Many of you have mentioned it. Is it because of the price or the course itself? I rather like the course. #4, 9, 10 are very good holes and their are several other good ones. Just wondering.
                    I prefer #1 and #12. And have a love/hate relationship with #18.
                    #10 on Angus south reminds me of a a now lost hole on back 9 of the old Seaton course.

How many truly memorable holes are there at Angus? How many would you include on your 'dream' list of your favourite/best 18 holes?

Now factor in the price and the pace of play.

Comment

Angus was originally opened in the 90s to be a premium golf experience mainly catering to corporate events. It was the first such course opened in east Toronto and at the time it fulfilled a need. It had mainly private course conditions, first class customer service, a reasonably attractive/challenging golf course (south) and MOST IMPORTANLY had Kevin Thistle to promote/hype the experience. It succeeded exceptionally well and the Stollery family did very well indeed. In fact, the Cdn Open on the South was a great success even though John Rollins won it at about 16/17 under.

They "jumped the shark" when they built the North Course...a poor example of faux links that was too hard to maintain the way it was designed (sod wall bunkers, etc.) and they had to have it redone by Davis Love. That resulted in an even less attractive design that people didn't feel "special" on...and tournaments only wanted the North if the South wasn't available.

Fast forward a decade and the conditions are now spotty at best, the South is now a tricked up mess with the new ponds etc., the hype of Thistle et al is long gone, the prices are outrageous, and Gordon Stollery must be turning over in his grave.

Too bad...but they now deserve the most over-rated honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Golfgeek View Post
                        Angus was originally opened in the 90s to be a premium golf experience mainly catering to corporate events. It was the first such course opened in east Toronto and at the time it fulfilled a need. It had mainly private course conditions, first class customer service, a reasonably attractive/challenging golf course (south) and MOST IMPORTANLY had Kevin Thistle to promote/hype the experience. It succeeded exceptionally well and the Stollery family did very well indeed. In fact, the Cdn Open on the South was a great success even though John Rollins won it at about 16/17 under.

They "jumped the shark" when they built the North Course...a poor example of faux links that was too hard to maintain the way it was designed (sod wall bunkers, etc.) and they had to have it redone by Davis Love. That resulted in an even less attractive design that people didn't feel "special" on...and tournaments only wanted the North if the South wasn't available.

Fast forward a decade and the conditions are now spotty at best, the South is now a tricked up mess with the new ponds etc., the hype of Thistle et al is long gone, the prices are outrageous, and Gordon Stollery must be turning over in his grave.

Well said.

Comment

Don't want to thread jack but because of the Kevin Thistle lovers in this thread I thought I would mention this,
                          which BTW I did not notice anywhere else on here, but if it warrants a new thread maybe one of you would start one.

Kevin is now the VP of Business Development at Windmill Golf Group in Calgary.
                          If any are familiar with this you will know that this is Phil Mickelson's baby, a brand new Golf Course and Housing project out in Hampton Alta.
                          Seems like an excellent move for Kevin but means I guess we won't be seeing him anytime soon around these parts. Maybe though he could show up at the Toronto Golf Show at a Calgary Tourist booth.
                          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                            Don't want to thread jack but because of the Kevin Thistle lovers in this thread I thought I would mention this,
                            which BTW I did not notice anywhere else on here, but if it warrants a new thread maybe one of you would start one.

Kevin is now the VP of Business Development at Windmill Golf Group in Calgary.
                            If any are familiar with this you will know that this is Phil Mickelson's baby, a brand new Golf Course and Housing project out in Hampton Alta.
                            old news...

Originally posted by Spot View Post
                            Kevin Thistle has left his position at Toronto Hunt and is relocating to Calgary to become vice president of business development for the Windmill Golf Group, which includes several golf courses in the area, including the new Mickelson National, which begins construction this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Golfgeek View Post

Thanks for that reply. I understand the North course is not loved. To be fair I have not played Angus Glen lately. The recent ponds you refer to were likely mandated by new policies on water use at all courses but that doesn't excuse poor placement. I always felt these corporate golf havens would not appeal to most golfers based on price. Regardless of price I liked the South. To bad it's been changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                                I wouldn't say Ballantrae is over rated. I recall someone comparing their upside down saucer greens to that of Pinehurst #2.

I am kind of agreeing with Wooden Sticks being over rated.
                                Played on Wooden Sticks in their late fall special. It was a shot gun start as around 128 golfers showed up for that weekend deal. At the 9A par 3 hole they were selling $10 vouchers that could also be used in the Proshop. But as I managed to make the green from the teeoff I got a free round to be used by June 30th 2017. The catch is that it can only be used after 2.00 PM and as they registered my ID, unfortunately it cannot be transferred to any other golfer. So has anyone else won this free round and looking out for golf partners? Yes, this course is well overpriced, but I want to take advantage of this free round sometime in June.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X