What my TLT set looks like...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What my TLT set looks like...

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
    Dan, I would add soft stainless heads to those that should be be checked every 50 rounds or so .

The SMT cast iron heads were soooo soft , I recall Ben saying he bent one 9*
    Good point, some of the Wishon micro wedges also seemed very soft for a cast head and did bend quite easily. I guess part of the equation is how often you hit off of driving range mats.
    Regards
    Dan

True Length Technology TM
    Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
    True Frequency Technology TM
    - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
    - Master
    Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
    - Advanced / Professional
    Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
    - Class 'A'

Comment

Just booked an appointment with Dan for Thursday. Looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pinckr865 View Post
        Just booked an appointment with Dan for Thursday. Looking forward to it!
        Looking forward to meeting with you and I assure you that a TLT fitting and retrofit will do wonders for your game.
        Regards
        Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
        - Class 'A'

Comment

Dan, do you retrofit drivers, fairway woods and hybrids as well? Curious because these clubs don't really lend themselves to bending/lie adjustment.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, drivers, fairways and hybrids do get set-up to the math model. But you are right that not all these can be bent without structural failure.

My approach is to first measure the actual lie angle of these clubs and then apply these values to the math model so a corrected length can be discovered. At this point either shortening or lengthening (almost never lengthened) the shaft - is the reverse engineering approach I take. Sometimes a swingweight adjustment is required.

The math model applies differently to these 3 sets of club heads as the amount of downforce applied through the center of gravity (dynamic toe droop) is different than that of irons, so the formula is slightly different in each case.

Long story short, yes corrections are done and great improvement with center of face contact will happen. This - like the irons - will result in a more consistent ball flight as well as promoting a much more consistent setup and swing.
            Regards
            Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
            - Class 'A'

Comment

Once again Dan, thanks for your response.

Comment

Has anyone gotten a driver FW or hybrid TLT?

I understand what dans saying in that he can reverse engineer the formula to make it work without bending them (as most aren't bendable)

If that's the case could I not almost fit myself for length based on Howard Jones method from WRX

I will be booking a TLT fitting and retro for my irons and wedges soon. Just debating if I should bother with woods/hybrid?

Comment

You need to understand that what Howard uses as a fitting methodology and formula's to get to final lengths are not what I use. Howard is a very competent builder and fitter. but has not came up with the same procedure. The TLT methodology took years of trial and error before locking in the procedure that I promote.

I have done lot's of the reverse engineering approach and have nothing but positives in the feedback. Pretty much every hybrid I see is too long, some fairways and most drivers - also too long. Drivers can have over 6 degree of lie difference - company to company - and an upright driver will suit a tall player , and I look for flatter lies for shorter.

Hopefully some of the guys that have had hybrids, fairways and drivers TLT'd will comment.

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                  Has anyone gotten a driver FW or hybrid TLT?

I understand what dans saying in that he can reverse engineer the formula to make it work without bending them (as most aren't bendable)

If that's the case could I not almost fit myself for length based on Howard Jones method from WRX

I will be booking a TLT fitting and retro for my irons and wedges soon. Just debating if I should bother with woods/hybrid?
                  Regards
                  Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                  - Class 'A'

Comment

Yes I agree 100% Dan. So if you were fitting from scratch I understand. If I was coming for new clubs I'd be 100% confidant that you can find me a perfect fitting driver. However with retrofitting you can't do much about my lie in truth so that said... would I not be able to figure out optimal length via Howard's method in that post (for a driver that I already have). Obviously if it was a new build I understand what you're saying.

Comment

I am sure Howards method has merit and I expect it will generate more on center hits. If this is the approach you choose I am fine with it. I have not finished reading his post to the n'th degree but I do know Howard is a successful fitter - we just don't necessarily agree 100% on how to get there.

Testing and experimenting is something every player seems to go through, and the ultimate goal is to bring down our HC, and there are many ways of getting there.

Your optimum driver may not be the one you own, as not only loft, but flex will paly major parts of the equation. If these are wrong, then dialing them in to perform as well as that combination can - then it will help for sure.

If it doesn't work we can certainly meet and see if we can find a better solution. Budgets sometimes have to overrule wants.

Yes I agree 100% Dan. So if you were fitting from scratch I understand. If I was coming for new clubs I'd be 100% confidant that you can find me a perfect fitting driver. However with retrofitting you can't do much about my lie in truth so that said... would I not be able to figure out optimal length via Howard's method in that post (for a driver that I already have). Obviously if it was a new build I understand what you're saying.
                      Regards
                      Dan

- Developer / Owner

- Master
                      - Class 'A'

Comment

I am of the same oponion, I hit my current driver better gripping down 1 inch,would I cut it for that little bit ,not likely.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                          I am of the same oponion, I hit my current driver better gripping down 1 inch,would I cut it for that little bit ,not likely.
                          As the club gets longer and lower in loft the harder it is to hit

1 inch is a significant difference IMO.

I've always maintained most golfers would be benefit from using a 43.5 -44 inch driver
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Off to see dan tomorrow. Very excited.

Comment

Just got my retrofit irons back today. There is only a 1.5" length difference between my 4i and 58°.

Dan quickly identified major issues with my original set. I now have basically one posture for my irons. Thought this might be really strange and challenging going from a traditional set-up. Easily hit every iron in the bag at the range today. Love standing taller for all my shots. More arm freedom. Better also for my wonky back.

Earlier in the year I had taken the 4i out of my bag, after today’s range session it is now my favourite club. Hoping to give the irons a go this weekend. Great work Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
                                Just got my retrofit irons back today. There is only a 1.5" length difference between my 4i and 58°.

Dan quickly identified major issues with my original set. I now have basically one posture for my irons. Thought this might be really strange and challenging going from a traditional set-up. Easily hit every iron in the bag at the range today. Love standing taller for all my shots. More arm freedom. Better also for my wonky back.

Earlier in the year I had taken the 4i out of my bag, after today’s range session it is now my favourite club. Hoping to give the irons a go this weekend. Great work Dan.
                                God you have me excited!

Did you do woods too? And or hybrid or driver?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X