Collapse

Aldila TGI 120 Shaft Question

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aldila TGI 120 Shaft Question

Anyone have any experience playing the Aldila Tour Issue TGI120 stiff graphite iron shafts ? Was interested in how the flex compares to a steel iron shaft, currently playing PX 5.0, would these be similar ? Elbow and shoulder issues are making me look toward graphite... don't get along well with lighter shafts , tried the XCaliber Tour X 95g but was inconsistent with them. Any thoughts on expected ball flight ?
    Thanks
    John

Re: Aldila TGI 120 Shaft Question

I'm not sure about these as I've never heard the name before. However, a general rule of shafts can be applied. They will definitely dampen more shock than your PX (which are usually on the harsher side of feel for steel shafts). However, in terms of ball flight you are going at least +5g per shaft while going up a full flex in stiffness. While we can debate what flex truly means until we are blue in the face, if we take it at face value, then your expected shot shape should be lower, harder to turn over (i.e. more right if you are RH), and with less spin.

I extensively tried the Aldila RIP Tour 115 in an Adams XTD forged demo iron back a few years. If we consider this the continuation of this TGI line, expect a very penetrating ball flight with loads of control. It is a very tight shaft. Not stiff, just tight, meaning it stays with you for a long time. I'm not going to lie, they are pretty stiff. I have the 115g in my 50* wedge and it is definitely stiffer than the dynamic golds I have in my Nike wedges. The shafts feel very smooth, though, so you don't really notice how stiff they are. The accuracy and feel are what sold me.

Coles Notes: Heavier, stiffer, tighter tolerances with smoother feel should equate to a lower ball flight with less spin that you are going to have to work harder at to get the shaft to do what you want it to (i.e. load properly).

Comment

Thanks for the info, got them the other night , took the grips off and it turns out they are soft stepped 1x . Dry fit the 7i and it frequencied at 301CPM @ 36 3/4" length with grip off. Added a 48g grip came out just shy of D4 SW.

Comment

The RIP's are a continuation of the TGI . The TGI's are a constant weight shaft with progressively stiffer tip as the irons get shorter, so basically a flighted graphite set.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
        X