Collapse

Why did Johnny Miller quit golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Johnny Miller quit golf?

Can someone tell me why this guy quit golf? I was reading an article written by Miller and he gives excellent golf tips. Apparently, this guy was a superior iron player.

His stats from Golf Digest show (in his prime):

9 iron-125 yards
    6 iron-160 yards

Not really that far.

Re: Why did Johnny Miller quit golf?

Originally posted by unskinnybop99 View Post
    Can someone tell me why this guy quit golf? I was reading an article written by Miller and he gives excellent golf tips. Apparently, this guy was a superior iron player.

9 iron-125 yards
    6 iron-160 yards

Not really that far.

Anybody who watched him knows he was one of the greatest players to ever play.

I am pretty sure that he had a huge confidence problem with the putter that ended his carreer.

as for his distances........just remember that the balatta ball that he used was shorter and less accurate than todays balls

and the lofts on irons back then were weaker by a fair bit so his 9 iron would be the equivalent to a wedge today and the six iron to a probably the loft of btn a 8 and 7 iron.

Golf companies have made the lofts of their clubs progressively stronger to fool you into thinking that todays clubs hit the ball further.......but all they have done is change the number on the club from a 6 to a 7 iron.....you hit it the same distance
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

He got the Yips big time and just could'nt overcome it.
      When he won the ATT Peeble Beach,his last tour win,he only looked at the hole for 4 rounds.He also tried the Senior tour but his putter would'nt let him,it was full blown yips.

Comment

..probably one of the best iron players of all time..his final round 62 at
        Oakmont(US Open)was maybe the best round of all time..god he hit it
        close to the pin!!
        Last edited by northernpro; Dec 24, 2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

9 iron-125 yards
          6 iron-160 yards

Not really that far.
          JM got the yips and he claims he got them because of the heavy manual work he did when building his ranch.Supposedly he messed up his muscles and never recovered.I am a bit sceptical about this reason and think that his nerves just went on him for some reason.If you ever see JM interviewed he can get quite emotional.

Comment

Miller actually said on air that he used to get Andy Martinez (his caddy) to pace the course off in half yards cause he could control his distance that accurately.

I call BS but that's what the man said.
            Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

Found This Part of an Article.

Miller's 63 remains one of the most impressive rounds in the game's history. Although the course had been softened by rain, it's not as if the entire field was having it easy. There were just 24 scores in the 60s during the tournament. Only three broke 70 on the final day.
              Miller hit all 18 greens in regulation. His only bogey, at the eighth hole, came when he 3-putted, missing a 3-footer for par that still rankles him to this day. He missed just a single fairway.

Comment

He quit because his putting went south. The yips killed his scoring ability. As others have already said, he was one of the best ball strikers in the game. In his final victory on tour in 1994, he overcame (just barely) his putting woes at Pebble Beach. He was 46 years old.
                This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

9 iron-125 yards
                  6 iron-160 yards

Not really that far.
                  The MacGregor Tommy Armour 915 irons he used to win that week were extremely weak, with the PW set at 52*. He is acknowledged by most of his peers as the best ever mid-iron player.
                  In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                  Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                  TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                  TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                  PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                  TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                  Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                  TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by WILL View Post
                    Miller actually said on air that he used to get Andy Martinez (his caddy) to pace the course off in half yards cause he could control his distance that accurately.

I call BS but that's what the man said.
                    When he was on his distance control was great so it makes sense that he would want to know yardages down to that level of accuracy. It would add to his confidence. If you tell yuorself that you can hit the shot then you stand a better chance of hitting it well.
                    Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Comment

The man couldn't putt to save his life. He did an exhibition in Boise on the NWT a few year back and I wouldn't have put myself through that if I couldn't putt. He was using a belly putter and taking the stroke back then pushing through releasing(taking his hand off the putter) his hand well before impact.
                      Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
                      Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
                      Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
                      Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
                      Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
                      Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
                      Ping Hoofer

Comment

I wish JM was still playing though. He was definately one of the greats with tons of personality. Having said that, he's awesome in the booth. Brain to mouth filter? Meh, he's way better without one.
                        Canada's best golf instructor is Nick Starchuk.

Comment

His 63 at Oakmont in the final round of the 73 US Open is still the best ball striking round by anyone ever. On a super tough course he hit every green in regulation. He had 9 birdies - the longest birdie putt he made was like 8 feet. If he could putt like Tiger he would have shot 55. He hit like 5 approach shots inside 3 feet. And he did it with balls that were essentially crap.

At his best he was better than anybody ever. Unfortunately (for him) my wife is a better putter.

Those that saw that round will never forget it.

Comment

Will could kick his azz anyday with his Nike blades back in the bag...
                            BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
                            Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
                            There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

It is amazing how some of the best ball strikers ever, putting games never were or went south.

Hogan, Norman, Knudson, Miller...
                              Cheers,
                              Richard.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X