Collapse

Buyer Beware

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer Beware

A friend of mine, a 4 handicapper, just bought a set of Ben Hogan F-T-X forged irons from a major retailer. He wanted a "regular" shaft, which in the Hogan line, is the Apex 3.

After an indoor hitting session yesterday I borrowed his clubs to measure the frequency, length, swingweight loft and lie. Two things stood out. The swingweights were D 8.5, which is extremely "heavy." But most upsetting was that the frequency of the shafts were all "Ladies" flex, ie., 283 cpm's at 38.5" for the 5 iron.

I recognize that the only thing that really counts is the performance of the clubs, however, if one is going to spend $900 or so for a set of clubs, does it not make sense that the golfer should get what he orders? Unfortunatley, this happens very, very frequently. This is why I never, ever, buy off the rack clubs. Even if the company "custom fits" you, when you actually take delivery of the clubs, how do you know that you getting clubs that are made to your specs?

Re: Buyer Beware

The easy answer is unless you check swing weight and shaft flex at the retailer before you buy...you may never know what it is you actually purchased. Not to mention the vast majority of golfers wouldn't have a clue what swing weight is and how swingweight affects shaft flex and feel, not to mention ball flight / trajectory. It always amazes me to hear that the average golfer will never break 100 on a full size course playing by the real rules of golf (as most of you do not). When you keep this fact in mind it becomes obvious that most consumers know very little about that new 450cc driver that promises an extra 20 yards. Hey, 8 more weeks boys...can't hardly wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Grass Roots Tour
      It always amazes me to hear that the average golfer will never break 100 on a full size course playing by the real rules of golf (as most of you do not).
      Gee thanks..almost sounds like he's insulting a lot of TGN members here......
      Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

I guess the average "know-nothing-about-the-equipment-and-will-never-break-100" golfer is not the kind he wants to attract to his "Grass Roots Tour". After all, by his standards I reckon we're lucky we know which end of the club to hold (it's the shiny part, right? )

Alan

Comment

Much of what I have learned about golf clubs and fitting has come from books, hands on experience, sharing idea with those who know and more in recent years, from forums like these. Because most of us are passionate about the game and because there is so much misinformation out there, too many golfers buy equipment that is ill suited for their swings and pay way too much money for it.

Golfers are becoming better informed about the swing and equipment, however, buying new golf clubs becomes an emotional decision sometimes, so being armed with some basic knowledge has to increase the odds of getting suitable equipment.

While GRT may be abrasive and insulting, he is correct when he indicates that many golfers don't understand the affects of length, frequency, swingweight, etc., have on the performance of the club and many don't want to know. He also may be correct that most golfers do not play by the rules, however, my guess is that most do this inadvertently, not deliberately.

Before learning about clubmaking/fitting, I bought off the rack clubs(OEM's) for years. Now that I know a little about the other side, I have learned that personally fit clubs do wonders for the golfers game and his/her confidence. Poor assembly examples like the one in my original post above are not exceptional at all and it just annoys me to see golfers get ripped off for poor shaft fitting and assembly. In my perfect world all golfers would get custom fitted, pay less than at a major retailer and play better because of it.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X