/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Anyone play Mill Run Championship course this year?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone play Mill Run Championship course this year?

I am going there this Saturday for a practice round for an upcoming tourney on June 18th, has anyone been there this year. I have never played the course, looking for info, particularly green speed...slow or fast? plus any other tips.

Re: Anyone play Mill Run Championship course this year?

I play every year and usually enjoy it. The greens speed is average or a little higher but more true than most.

Front nine is open and you can scatter the ball and recover. The back nine is tree lined and narrow.

Tips, I have a couple.

On#2, their is water on the right and short of the hole which you cannot see easily from the fairway. Stay left side within 100 yards of the hole.

On #4, layup to full wedge distance unless you have a great wedge game. The green is shallow and hard, so stopping the ball is difficult. You will be tempted to go for the green with you driver but it's not a realistic option. You end up with a tricky half wedge and bogey.
    On #5, right and short is better than either left or long. Uphill par 3 and you cannot see most of the green from the tee.
    On #9, stay below the hole, even short of the green is better than the putt from above the hole.
    #10, see number 9. Layup towards the 150 yard marker, you will know what I mean when you see it. That will keep you away from the creek.
    #11, first time you play it you have no idea, slight fade with a 4 iron (190-210) is usually fine. IF you hit a perfect fade with a 3 wood (220-240yards.) you may be okay as well and wedge in. If you staighten it, it will get ugly in a hurry.
    Hope that helps.
    Pud.

Comment

Pud, thanks for the info, some good stuff there. Looking forward to playing the course, I have been wanting to try it for a few years but just never managed to get there. I will keep your tips in mind when I play this weekend. thank you!

Comment

Well I played it on the free ($4) day so the conditions were not the greatest.
        Pud, for the 5th, do you not think you would rather be short left instead of right?
        There is a tree blocking the green on the left side, but you can cut it a bit.
        6, they are not kidding, you can get to the green in two very easily. Take a peak at the green when you play 4 since they are connected, not shared.
        If the wind is up, playing 7 will be interesting, you can also see the green when teeing off on 6.
        For 10, you might want to add that if it is wet, you will be on this hole. It is right down on the marsh. Pud is dead on with his advice for this hole, nice sloping green back to front also.
        11 is strange and you would want to see this hole before you play it, even if you don't get out to play before the tournment.
        The fairway slopes from right to left on 15 down in the landing area, when you carry the fairway bunker it will also run a bit towards the green if you get the extra 15 yards of carry you will be loving life.
        17 a nice 3 wood will get you up to within a short wedge.

Also, I don't know if you saw this or not, but they have a hole-by-hole tour on the web site.
        "Golf's a grand game. It combines the skill of billards, with the mystery of gardening." David Merry

Comment

Mike, thank you for your info, always good to hear any opinions and tips when I have not been there. I have checked out the hole by hole tour but personal insight is more helpful.

Comment

I played it one of the opening days and played with a gentleman who was a member of the course. Greens were slow especially on uphill putts. Fairways were pretty good and thankfully the rough was low. According to the member, as the course dries up the greens are extremely fast and the rough is LOOOONG.......

Good luck on your Tournament...!
            ".......to Golf or not to Golf......What a stupid Question....."

Here today..........
            Callaway X-Forged Steel 5-PW
            Callaway Hybrids 3,4 & 5 Neutral
            Callaway Jaws 60 Wedge MD
            Nike SV Tour Wedge 56
            Callaway HX HOT ball

Comment

Originally posted by dks_34
              I played it one of the opening days and played with a gentleman who was a member of the course. Greens were slow especially on uphill putts. Fairways were pretty good and thankfully the rough was low. According to the member, as the course dries up the greens are extremely fast and the rough is LOOOONG.......

Good luck on your Tournament...!
              Fast greens I like, I have never been good on slower ones, they just do not fit my stroke, the LOOOONG rough I could live without, thanks!

Comment

I just find it so funny how the front 9 and back 9 seem like two different courses. THe first 9 is pretty wide open. YOu can spray your ball and not be punished too badly for it. The back 9 is a whole other story. you'll know exactly what i mean when you show up to number 10. Played it last weekend and shot 37 on the front and then 43 on the back .
                WITB:
                Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
                3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
                2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
                4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
                56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
                60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
                Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

Mill Run, the tale of two nines. This course plays different depending on which way the wind is blowing. I agree with the first review for #5 and keep the ball pin high right, rather than left, as there is a slope right to left that can help.

Always land the ball short of the green on #9 and let it bounce on. Otherwise you'll be chipping back down the green from behind.

#10, #11, #17, #18 will make or break your round. Focus on these four holes, play them well and you will score well. Have a strategy to play them and play them to your strengths. Even if that means playing them for Bogey because doubles or the dreaded others are not uncommon.

You will enjoy this course, one of the best in the GTA for the price.
                  Take it one shot at a time

Comment

Played 43 holes there a week and a half ago. Like most have said, the front 9 is open and feel free to grip it and rip it on most par 4's. Its open enough to still GIR from the next fairway . The front 9 fairways and greens aren't as in good a condition as the back and the back 9 is definately tighter. Tree lined fairways will make you think about club choice. Greens are in rather good condition. GPS carts. Enjoy your day!
                    "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
                    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
                    Winston Churchill

Comment

Wow guys, thank you for the fabulous tips. Your hole-by-hole analysis would have really helped me out when I played there last year! hehee I didn't do too well although the front 9 was not as bad. But I will definitely remember this advice when I play there again this season.
                      You may contact me with general questions about the forum.
                      Advertising requests should be emailed to advertise@torontogolfnuts.com.
                      Contact us to organize a TGN golf day/TGN tournament at your golf course, email events@torontogolfnuts.com.
                      Thank you to all our members and sponsors for your continued support. Looking forward to a brand new golf season.

Comment

Played Mill Run yesterday for the first time. It's a decent enough track I suppose.. the back nine anyways.
                        One complaint I had though was the condition of the greens.
                        Anytime you hit a high nine iron into a green from 128 out or hit an easy wedge in from 100 out and the ball lands on the front and ends up rolling off the back.. that's a problem.

That happened to all of us in the group..

On the par 3 16th.. you had to land the ball short of the green and even then it took a bit of luck to hold and not end up in the back fringe.

Comment

Thank you to all for your info, this is not a serious tourney, not for the Canadian Open or anything like that but it is always good to have some idea of the way the course plays.

Comment

played there last week, and fairways had many brown patches....mill run's front nine and a few holes in the backnine are pretty forgiving..you should be able to find your ball if u slice or pull your ball.....

greens speed in imo were avg or maybe a tad slower than avg...but conditions of the green weren't up to par imo....good luck in the tourney.
                            Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

Hey Greywolf...I have played there since it opened. I can provide you with some detailed course info if you need. Greens are not too fast but are very firm for approaches. Front nine is open, and not overly difficult. Back nine will make or break your round, club selection is definitely the most important factor to shooting a good score on the back nine. Let me know.....

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X