Collapse

The Golf Industry - Looking for Advice

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Golf Industry - Looking for Advice

If you want to go into the golf business - do it.

My best guess is, as with any career a person chooses, there will be a long list of people that never made it and realized the original choice they made.

Most of the people that never made it likely never had what it took for the profession anyways.

Talented employees will get noticed no matter where they start.

I would think between proshop, F & B, GM, Admin and Turf plus all the various companies that supply and or cater to these people there should be a job out there somewhere............

Comment

Originally posted by fins & skins View Post
      Most of the people that never made it likely never had what it took for the profession anyways.

Talented employees will get noticed no matter where they start.
      Except you see an alarming amount of people leave the industry, even when reaching very good, established positions at established clubs. I'd wager maybe 10% of the people who start in the industry one way or another (school, intern position at an OEM or low level club position) are still in the industry 10 years later. I can think of 6 of a graduating class of 27 8 years later in my program (took 2 of them 5+ years just to play in). 3 still live at home in their mid-late 20's now.

Its not a matter of not having the talent, its realizing the massive financial short comings you are in as you age and want to think about things like owning a house, kids and time for family and the best of all, being able to retire...

All tough to do when making $15-20Kish (salaried not including lessons) until you hit a prime Associate job in Toronto ($50k ish at top clubs, very few positions), because outside of the GTA you won't make more then $750 a week (Associate range and at the very top end) unless you go West.
      Last edited by Gwelfgulfer; Jun 19, 2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately it is true. Golf course employees are woefully underpaid.
        Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

You would have to think outside the box and come up with a niche concept to market if you want to make any significant money.

Comment

Unfortunately you all remain fixated on one small segment of an industry that is actually quite large.

Nowhere did the OP indicate that he wanted to get into the life of the golf pro. he wanted to be in the industry which is so much larger then that one segment.

Comment

i make a pretty good buck as an assistant super. can't speak for the pros.

i'll top out at 80-100k being super at a higher end semi/private course.

Comment

Originally posted by fins & skins View Post
                Unfortunately you all remain fixated on one small segment of an industry that is actually quite large.

Nowhere did the OP indicate that he wanted to get into the life of the golf pro. he wanted to be in the industry which is so much larger then that one segment.
                In the end money talks, not fixated on one particular area as the good paying jobs are still far and few between. Maybe you are fixated on being established in the industry for a prolonged period of time vs. The current potential.

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post
                i make a pretty good buck as an assistant super. can't speak for the pros.

i'll top out at 80-100k being super at a higher end semi/private course.
                Even less jobs then pros in that area, also more specialized in terms of education.
                Last edited by Gwelfgulfer; Jun 21, 2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
                  In the end money talks, not fixated on one particular area as the good paying jobs are still far and few between. Maybe you are fixated on being established in the industry for a prolonged period of time vs. The current potential.

Even less jobs then pros in that area, also more specialized in terms of education.

I'm not in the industry at all. I have spent enough time at a golf course to see the amount of people that come and go from one to know that there are a pile of jobs if not directly in the sector, that among other things cater to the sector.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for all the detailed responses. I wanted to touch most specifically on what fins & skins mentioned, as he's bang on. I'm definitely not looking to be a golf pro or anything like that. I'm a pretty **** golfer at the moment, I just happen to love the game.

What I'd be far more interested in, were I to change, would be something more tied to marketing, advertising, media production, that kinda thing.

I have an Hons.BA from UofT and 5 years experience as a project/production/account manager at a mid-size marketing and advertising agency (wear a lot of hats), and my primary charge has been overseeing and executing on high end retail-focused executions for high end fashion and sporting apparel/goods brands. All this to say that that is where my expertise lies, and I was far more interested in opportunities that may exist, broadly, within that realm. I hope that makes a little more sense?

But thank you all for the largely depressing (though certainly informative) responses this thread has generated a lot more action than I anticipated and I appreciate, and will continue to appreciate, everyone's input.

Comment

There is a small firm in Toronto that just signed the PGA as a client. I can't say which one it is, but a little research you should be able to figure it out. THey were hiring in the spring as well.
                      Good Luck.
                      NSST golf
                      Never the same swing twice!!

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
                        I get your love of the game, but if you think working in the industry will translate into more playing time, you are sadly mistaken.
                        ^^^^ good advice from racmbs above and I know he speaks the truth about no time for golf. I only see him out 5-6 times a week at Sleepy....

..............LOL of course I am joking.
                        In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                        Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                        Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                        Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                        Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                        Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                        Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                        --------
                        Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...