Collapse

Eagle's Nest

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle's Nest

I played Eagle's Nest today with my buddy. I ate there last Wednesday (17) for my birthday -- the food was awesome. On par with restuarants in New York, London, and Las Vegas. Pricey, but worth it. We ate overlooking the 18th green and I wondered what I would be like to play. That's when my wife said, why don't you play it next Sunday. Here's my report.

The warm up area is below par. My Dad was a member of clublink and my friend I played with is. The 'mat' area was all chewed up and the bunkers around the chipping green were hard and watered - nothing like what layed out on the course.

They asked us our skill level at the first tee which was nice -- you don't want someone who can't play tee-ing off from the gold/black/eagle tees. I usually play white, my friend usually plays black - so we played gold as a compromise. Honestly - it was a little further than I would have liked - but a good challenge. Had we been pressed by the group behind I would have moved up a tee.

The fairways/greens/bunkers were all in great shape. I found a couple of bunkers and I was about an 80% getting out of bunkers.

The wind, ah the wind. If they are trying to mimick Scotland, and I've been there (family), they did a pretty good job. It was mighty windy. I think on one hole that was a 129 yards I pounded out an 8 iron that came WAY WAY WAY short. Fun!

Now the big question: is it worth $175 regular play? No. is it worth $125 12pm weekend play? Uhmmm... if the warm-up area was in better shape and the cart girls came around more often.

For that kind of money, I'd rather play Glencairn after 2pm for $75.

Is is great golf yes? Is it worth full pop - no. I think I prefer Angus Glen.

Here are some pictures.

Re: Eagle's Nest

Larmet: It is always important to consider price when thinking about a golf course, but I find it tough to take into consideration cart girls and the condition of a practice facility in late August.
    Eagles Nest is without doubt the best modern golf course to be built in Canada in nearly 40 years. Glencairn, while a worthwhile effort, does not compare. That said, for 75 bucks, it might make more sense for the budget conscious.
    It'll be interesting to see how the $125 fee this coming weekend goes over....
    Golf blog: canadiangolfer.com/g4g

Comment

Originally posted by larmet
      I played Eagle's Nest today with my buddy. I ate there last Wednesday (17) for my birthday -- the food was awesome. On par with restuarants in New York, London, and Las Vegas. Pricey, but worth it. We ate overlooking the 18th green and I wondered what I would be like to play. That's when my wife said, why don't you play it next Sunday. Here's my report.

The warm up area is below par. My Dad was a member of clublink and my friend I played with is. The 'mat' area was all chewed up and the bunkers around the chipping green were hard and watered - nothing like what layed out on the course.

They asked us our skill level at the first tee which was nice -- you don't want someone who can't play tee-ing off from the gold/black/eagle tees. I usually play white, my friend usually plays black - so we played gold as a compromise. Honestly - it was a little further than I would have liked - but a good challenge. Had we been pressed by the group behind I would have moved up a tee.

The fairways/greens/bunkers were all in great shape. I found a couple of bunkers and I was about an 80% getting out of bunkers.

The wind, ah the wind. If they are trying to mimick Scotland, and I've been there (family), they did a pretty good job. It was mighty windy. I think on one hole that was a 129 yards I pounded out an 8 iron that came WAY WAY WAY short. Fun!

Now the big question: is it worth $175 regular play? No. is it worth $125 12pm weekend play? Uhmmm... if the warm-up area was in better shape and the cart girls came around more often.

For that kind of money, I'd rather play Glencairn after 2pm for $75.

Is is great golf yes? Is it worth full pop - no. I think I prefer Angus Glen.

Here are some pictures.
      Good review and one that I think is quite fair. My only problem is that Glen Cairn is not $75 ever - you need a member, who has paid an initiation. Those initiations, even though you don't need to pay any portion of them, is paid by your father/friend. Not the same thing as a public club, especially one with a $10,000,000 club house. Someone's gotta pay for that...

I'm the type that enjoys a course which has a wide variety in the types of shots you have to play. Eagles Nest is one of these. Courses that always have me grabbing for the same 4 or 5 clubs bore the hell out of me, but I don't find that to be the case at EN.

Once again, that was a very fair review, IMO.

Albert
      Albert

Oh yeah, sticks:
      driver - TM 510 TP
      3 wood - TaylorMade V-steel with some purple shaft
      3-pw - Mizuno MP-37
      52* - Nike SV
      56* - Cleveland 588
      putter - Yes! Emma
      home course - somewhere near London... maybe...
      website - www.akrus.ca

Comment

Originally posted by akrus
        Good review and one that I think is quite fair. My only problem is that Glen Cairn is not $75 ever - you need a member, who has paid an initiation. Those initiations, even though you don't need to pay any portion of them, is paid by your father/friend. Not the same thing as a public club, especially one with a $10,000,000 club house. Someone's gotta pay for that...
        True, but I would have thought that with just over 11,000 members (according to OSC supplied documents) someone MUST know a member! Fortunately I do. Although he hasn't invited me out very often! *******.

I can't wait until it become a member of LastMinuteGolfer! Ha.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
        X