Collapse

Dan's True Length Technology

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dan's True Length Technology

I now have a seat on the TLT bandwagon -> just picked up my set from Dan today.

I have been working on my game very hard over the last few years and want to take my game to the next level. Along with committing to ongoing winter lessons and indoor range practice ( simulators and golf-dome ) , I wanted to return to a bit more forgiving club. I had been following Dan's TLT chat over the last few years ( along with single-length threads ) both at TGN & WRX. The principles of TLT make perfect sense to me, so I decided to go down that road.

For the past 2 seasons I have been gaming Mizuno MP-4 blade/MB clubs with Steelfiber i110cw X-stiff shafts, and they took my game to another level. I LUV that set ! Prior to the MP-4 , I gamed MP-53 for 2 seasons and was always very happy with them too.

So for my TLT build I found a great set of gently used MP-53 3-PW , along with 3 Nike VR Pro forged wedges (50/54/58 ).

I visited Dan a few weeks ago, "dry-tested" several of his TLT sets of varying lengths in his backyard. Dan has several test sets of PW-7i-4i to get a feel for the length/posture you feel most comfortable with. I have his TLT "Series 7" build. For shafts, I went with KBS Tour V 125, soft-stepped 1x. I naturally hit a high ball, so wanted a shaft to keep the flight a bit down. I am fine hitting X100, PX, & C-Taper shafts, so something heavier /stout is fine by me. Grips are blue Lamkin UTX Wrap mid-size, and I had Dan build up the lower hand.

I took them to my local golf dome this afternoon, and was hitting them fine for first go-round. Swing feel from club-to-club is very consistent. Dan builds with progressive swing-weights ( ie 3i=D0 ... PW=D3.5 ) , along with measuring each shaft for flex consistency. I will have to wait until the spring to get some on-course time and see how my targeting and gapping is. But I am committing to them 100% for my winter lessons & practice time. My experiences with Dan were nothing but excellent. I will surely have Dan build my wife (5'2") a set as she gets back into the game in 2016.

- Andy
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
    Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
    Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Great stuff. I miss my TLT and ponder a return to that system often. Like you said.... It makes perfect sense.
      Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
      Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
      Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
      Hybrids: Cobra T-Rail 25*
      Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
      Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
      Putter: SGC WB Northwood
      Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by jburns View Post
        Great stuff. I miss my TLT and ponder a return to that system often. Like you said.... It makes perfect sense.
        Better get back on that wagon Jeff. I'll never switch back to a more conventional system.
        Titleist 915 D2
        Titleist 915 F
        Wishon 929 F
        Wishon 775 Hybrid
        PING i5 Irons
        PING Tour S Rustique 52*
        PING Anser 56*
        PING Glide ES 60*
        MannKrafted Rattler XL
        MannKrafted Midwave
        SGC 902 Custom

Comment

Can a non TLT set me retrofitted to the TLT specs? Also, does Kona Golf do as good a job as Dan?

Originally posted by mcarrejola View Post
          Better get back on that wagon Jeff. I'll never switch back to a more conventional system.

Comment

Originally posted by synergy300 View Post
            Can a non TLT set me retrofitted to the TLT specs? Also, does Kona Golf do as good a job as Dan?
            In many cases yes, a set can be retrofitted . It only becomes a challenge when you require a series in which the lie angles require significant bending and push the limits of the clubhead.

Call Jim and speak to him. IMO he's an excellent builder and very knowledgeable on the TLT fitting system.
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by synergy300 View Post
              Yes most sets can be retrofit. I have no problem recommending Jim. He has studied the system and has a sound understanding of all the applications.
              Regards
              Dan

True Length Technology TM
              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
              True Frequency Technology TM
              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
              - Master
              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
              - Advanced / Professional
              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
              - Class 'A'

Comment

I was out yesterday Dec 24 for my first outing with my TLT's, and it was my 1st outing since Nov 18. So between the new clubs, the rusty game, the very windy weather, and nearly 4:45hr round ... I generally sucked !

The only issue I had with the TLT set was in the short irons, in that they are much longer than what I have always been used to, specifically my SW + LW. I hit most all of my shots with PW-to-LW fat. Need to retrain my posture so that I don't need to bend over so much anymore. It will take time & trust.

That said, I am a guy who uses his LW for everything inside 80 yards, playing pitches & chips, utilizing technique and ball placement to get it done.

Guessing ahead, I feel I may not be able to adapt to such a long LW & SW for the shots I have learned to play. So I may end up chopping those 2 clubs down to my preferred lengths and tweak the lies accordingly. For me, I view 3i-to-GW as full-shot clubs, no need for finesse'ability as far as my game/style is concerned.

All-in-all, I was very happy with the consistent feel of the clubs, 9i up my 4i.
                I hit lot of long irons yesterday due to the high winds.

~ Andy
                Last edited by ARL67; Dec 25, 2015, 02:47 PM.
                🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                  I was out yesterday Dec 24 for my first outing with my TLT's, and it was my 1st outing since Nov 18. So between the new clubs, the rusty game, the very windy weather, and nearly 4:45hr round ... I generally sucked !

The only issue I had with the TLT set was in the short irons, in that they are much longer than what I have always been used to, specifically my SW + LW. I hit most all of my shots with PW-to-LW fat. Need to retrain my posture so that I don't need to bend over so much anymore. It will take time & trust.

That said, I am guy who uses his LW for everything inside 80 yards, playing pitches & chips, utilizing technique and ball placement to get it done.

Guessing ahead, I feel I may not be able to adapt to such a long LW & SW for the shots I have learned to play. So I may end up chopping those 2 clubs down to my preferred lengths and tweak the lies accordingly. For me, I view 3i-to-GW as full-shot clubs, no need for finesse'ability as far as my game/style is concerned.

All-in-all, I was very happy with the consistent feel of the clubs, 9i up my 4i.
                  I hit lot of long irons yesterday due to the high winds.

~ Andy
                  Some people adapt quickly, some it takes a bit.

You have to remember that you have been playing with a different fit set of clubs for what 10/20/30/40 years . Your body , eye and mind are accustomed to the posture you had with you old wedge length and lie.

As you say, for full shots you will now be using the same posture for each of your 8 or 9 irons, not 8 or 9 different postures. I think once you adjust you will find it reduces variability and eventually lead to greater consistency.

Comment

I had the same issue with the shorter irons,I didnt give them a real effort but thats just me,make the effort and prove me wrong andy .

Comment

Just as a confirmation - those short irons won't always feel too long as they currently do. Your lob was only 35 inches in length which was pulling you down. Many players play with great success squatting - but the reality is - after you get your body use to standing athletic - this will become the new norm.

I am confident that these 2 clubs (sand and lob) will begin to feel normal as they are the same length and lie as you PW and AW - which do not feel foreign. Please be sure to give it at least my 5 game rule - before you even consider shortening these two clubs.

There is huge history into the success of TLT and the athletic stance it drives you into, but just like said above - you have been pulling yourself out of position for years and this has become the norm.

As a golfer there are still times you need to choke down slightly - I do it as well as all my better players, but there will be a time when you understand why the 4 wedges are the same length and lie - and it will translate into a more consistent ball flight with improved directional control.
                      Regards
                      Dan

True Length Technology TM
                      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                      True Frequency Technology TM
                      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                      - Master
                      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                      - Advanced / Professional
                      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                      - Class 'A'

Comment

No doubt we have ingrained decades of bad habits.
                        I beat tens of thousands of balls at driving ranges, ingraining bad swing mechanics. Lessons early on would have been a vastly wiser move than aimlessly beating balls.
                        🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​

Comment

I play TLT and do not mind the short irons being a bit longer than what I was used to. . As a matter of fact as a result skulled shots do not happen as often or hardly ever. I tried the Nicklaus method below but not my cup of tea or should I say a lot more practice would be needed in my case.

Take a look at the 1:25 mark

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          Last edited by Tintin; Dec 26, 2015, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
                            Just as a confirmation - those short irons won't always feel too long as they currently do. Your lob was only 35 inches in length which was pulling you down. Many players play with great success squatting - but the reality is - after you get your body use to standing athletic - this will become the new norm.

I am confident that these 2 clubs (sand and lob) will begin to feel normal as they are the same length and lie as you PW and AW - which do not feel foreign. Please be sure to give it at least my 5 game rule - before you even consider shortening these two clubs.

There is huge history into the success of TLT and the athletic stance it drives you into, but just like said above - you have been pulling yourself out of position for years and this has become the norm.

As a golfer there are still times you need to choke down slightly - I do it as well as all my better players, but there will be a time when you understand why the 4 wedges are the same length and lie - and it will translate into a more consistent ball flight with improved directional control.
                            Although I didn't come see you Dan I 100% agree with everything you say here.

I went out on a limb and decided to have my 9-LW built same length and lie early this year. I always felt like I had to bend and squat too much with my scoring clubs and I couldn't be happier. I struggled to hit wedges on line and found myself standing up through the shot consistently. I was more confident hitting a 7i close than a SW which didn't make the game very enjoyable especially when hitting the driver well.

Being somewhat tall I liked over length irons but the long irons started to become a little much and Underlength sets were great until I got to the scoring clubs.

Now I'm a 1/4" under and 9-LW matching and don't think I'll ever go back.

They felt a little off due to Swing weight for a few swings then it was like riding a bike. I can still choke up if I need to hit specific shots but have found it to be a great help overall.

Now that I'm in Hampton essentially every other week I may just have to come see you and get a proper TLT set built this year
                            Last edited by oNe16tH; Dec 26, 2015, 04:15 PM.
                            Ping G430lst 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
                            Titleist TSI2 15 Tensei Pro Orange 80tx
                            Titleist TSI2 20.25 Tensei Pro Orange 90tx
                            Titleist T100s KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
                            Titleist SM8 KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
                            L.A.B Golf Directed Force 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by oNe16tH View Post

I went out on a limb and decided to have my 9-LW built same length and lie early this year.

Being somewhat tall I liked over length irons but the long irons started to become a little much and Underlength sets were great until I got to the scoring clubs.

Now I'm a 1/4" under and 9-LW matching and don't think I'll ever go back.
                              Good for you.

Harry ( TourIQ) who is as knowledgeable about club building and reducing variability as anybody anywhere has advocated this here for a long time.

I've too have always preferred keeping my 4 wedges the same spec. If you carry 4 wedges and a 9 , you now have 5 scoring clubs that are the same which reduces inconsistency.

Single length and TLT have a lot to offer in terms of encouraging much greater consistency. TLT provides the best of both worlds keeping a somewhat conventional build allowing the fit to be built with most iron heads yet provides the enhancements to keep you in the same and best athletic posture to improve ball striking consistency.

The next set I'm going to build myself is going to be single length set in the 4 wedges, 8 and 9 irons at 36 inches and either a TLT Build or single length at a 37 inches for the 5,6,7

Comment

Hey Weirfan,
                                I spent some time with Bryson Dechambeau and his "team" at the US Open and it was really interesting understanding everything they did to create his set.
                                The question that I have for you or anyone else trying a single length set, is how do you handle the head weight issue? Obviously, standard weight heads will produce wonky swing weights and shaft flexes.

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                                Good for you.

Harry ( TourIQ) who is as knowledgeable about club building and reducing variability as anybody anywhere has advocated this here for a long time.

I've too have always preferred keeping my 4 wedges the same spec. If you carry 4 wedges and a 9 , you now have 5 scoring clubs that are the same which reduces inconsistency.

Single length and TLT have a lot to offer in terms of encouraging much greater consistency. TLT provides the best of both worlds keeping a somewhat conventional build allowing the fit to be built with most iron heads yet provides the enhancements to keep you in the same and best athletic posture to improve ball striking consistency.

The next set I'm going to build myself is going to be single length set in the 4 wedges, 8 and 9 irons at 36 inches and either a TLT Build or single length at a 37 inches for the 5,6,7

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X