Collapse

should I switch irons?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I switch irons?

I am currently gaming the original x hot pros 5-pw which I like but my handicap this yeah has sky rocketed from a 12.5 to a 16.5. Just wondering if I would notice a difference switching to the RSI1 5-pw? would they be easier to hit and more forgiving on mishits?
    Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
    3W - Taylormade M4
    5 wood - Callaway X Hot
    4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
    Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
    Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Re: should I switch irons?

Try a lesson first.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

A bad swing is a bad swing regardless of what clubs you use. You probably have a fault that has creeped into you swing. I would get that looked at first or try and figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
        I am currently gaming the original x hot pros 5-pw which I like but my handicap this yeah has sky rocketed from a 12.5 to a 16.5. Just wondering if I would notice a difference switching to the RSI1 5-pw? would they be easier to hit and more forgiving on mishits?
        looking for irons to fix your hc is not a good idea,trust me i have had a good selection of irons trying,fix your swing= save money.

Comment

I guess I should have clarified. I'm not looking for the irons to fix my swing or be the magic cure. I am currently getting lessons. My thought was I'm a 16 capper playing x hot pro's. I could probably benefit from something a little more forgiving.
          3W - Taylormade M4
          5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

It's the indian, not the arrow.

Have you figured out which part of your game that caused the the extra strokes? If you're currently taking lessons right now, then give it time to sink in. You won't see results right away, especially if its something new to your swing.
            Cobra King F7
            Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
            Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
            Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
            Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
            Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

your iron lofts are very strong.(5-24*) The low tungsten backweight is supposed to overcome that. However if the shaft is too stiff for you it won't help.
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Hi hammy1983, I'm about a 10-12 capper and just went from Titleist 712 AP1's to the Callaway Xhot pro's and have found the Xhot pro's just as forgiving. But more importantly, I found the shaft on the Xhot pro's much better than the 712 AP1's. The Xhot pro's do have a slightly smaller head and slightly smaller sweet spot so if you did go to a "more regular" size clubhead, it might help. But the good advice on the many responses is clear ... finding the fault that crept into your swing and getting that addressed would be best. Cheers.

Comment

thanks for the advice guys!

majority of issues are happened with way too many putts per round and with the driver. putts is flat out not taking my time and the driver is a bit of everything. slight over the top, improper grip and hips/shoulders wide open causing me to hit 200 yard slices. I'm actually hitting more greens in reg this year but when I get in trouble with the driver off of the tees its really bad... my par 3 performance is actually on par with last year.
                  3W - Taylormade M4
                  5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

Hello,
                    Anyone looking for an extra player this weekend? I live downtown and don't have a car so I would need a ride. This is my second year playing (I am not a good golfer but I do know the etiquette and have played several courses already. I would play scramble not to slow down your game) I really love the game but won’t have a car this weekend and don't want to miss out!

Comment

majority of issues are happened with way too many putts per round and with the driver. putts is flat out not taking my time and the driver is a bit of everything. slight over the top, improper grip and hips/shoulders wide open causing me to hit 200 yard slices. I'm actually hitting more greens in reg this year but when I get in trouble with the driver off of the tees its really bad... my par 3 performance is actually on par with last year.
                      Don't worry pare, just be patient you'll put them altogether. It's funny when I started hitting my driver again I've been hitting more fairways (weird) and will have wedges to mid irons for approaches BUT won't hit GIR, and when I do hit GIR i more likey will 3 putt haha that's golf for you! The app I use when I play keeps track of bunkers/girs/fairways hit, when fairways # is low, my putting is around 1.6- 1.8, when I hit more fairways my putting is around 2.0 or more LMAOOOO
                      Cobra King F7
                      Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
                      Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
                      Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
                      Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
                      Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

I guess I should have clarified. I'm not looking for the irons to fix my swing or be the magic cure. I am currently getting lessons. My thought was I'm a 16 capper playing x hot pro's. I could probably benefit from something a little more forgiving.
                        You will lose 1 club distance/club if you switch............their 6 iron has the same loft as most other 5 irons. I agree with everyone else. find out where you are losing shots and fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                          You will lose 1 club distance/club if you switch............their 6 iron has the same loft as most other 5 irons. I agree with everyone else. find out where you are losing shots and fix that.
                          I believe his problem is he can't get it up because they are too strong.
                          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

based on this feedback not sure why you are even contemplating an iron swap. You clearly know where your focus should be. don't go out and buy a putter either. Do your lessons include putting? Sounds like the irons aren't the issue. Focus on the flat stick and the driver. Your teacher should have no issues working on a plan to help both of these areas. good luck.

Comment

thanks for all the input guys. yesterday I played 36 holes. First 18 was a struggle. massive slices, kept losing everything left (I'm left handed) shot a 95. Then about a quarter of the way through my second 18 I figure out what a proper finish should feel like. ended up shooting an 83.
                              3W - Taylormade M4
                              5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard