X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Short Side Chip from Deep rough

Originally posted by dlam View Post
    20 yards or 20 feet away?
    I been playing standard chip and roll if there's enough green to work with. and the fringe is short infront of the green for 20 yards.
    20 feet is really tough. I think the flop would be tough unless I had at least 10 yards(30 feet) The flop is a shot I like to hit hard and get under so lie is imprtant to me.
    I been using more of a "pop" stroke with the heel of my PW up and using a putting stroke motion and works great if the ball sits down and have only 20 feet without heavy rough to work with.
    It was 20ft total with 15ft of heavy rough and 5ft of green to the pin. Oh and the green past the pin was not that long! I agree with you a flop attempt would have flown well past and probably rolled into the rough on the other side of the green.

Comment

Originally posted by HacknSlash View Post
      It was 20ft total with 15ft of heavy rough and 5ft of green to the pin. Oh and the green past the pin was not that long! I agree with you a flop attempt would have flown well past and probably rolled into the rough on the other side of the green.
      1) Flop - a bit harder to gauge distance, risk of blading or leaving it short, very small window to land the ball - can't land it in the rough as it won't get out, can't land it more than 1 foot on otherwise you'll be way past, and by your account, maybe the rough on the other side. Even if you land it perfectly, it will still likely roll past as a flop out of rough won't have much spin, so 2/3 air, 1/3 roll is likely the best one can hope for.

2) Hybrid - the more rough the ball has to go through the harder it is to gauge how much power to give it, risk of not getting it on to the green and risk of sending it through, but removed risk of blading it. Gotta practice this one as the longer shaft and bouncy club face take a bit of feel to get used to.

3) Chip it, Something like a bump and run - just chip it with a GW or SW? Land it in the rough where you think it will still bounce out on to the green, but long enough that it won't stay in the rough. Whether you land it 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 feet from the edge of the green depends on how you read the rough (wet, dense, tall, etc.). Landing it in the rough should take some speed off the chip, right? If you decide say 2 feet off the green in the rough is the landing spot where if it takes a bad bounce in the rough it'll at most be 10 feet past or only 1 foot on to the green, well that's not so bad - you did short side yourself afterall.

4) Goshawk's suggestion of playing it like a bunker shot.

5) Any other creative or zany idea you have - putting, 7 iron, driver, niblick...

In my opinion, based on the description of the situation, 3 is what I would personally attempt as it is the safest play of shots I'm comfortable with of those mentioned. The risk with a chip landing in the rough I find, is that the ground under the rough around the green can often be lumpy, and less often but sometimes, your shot will take a funny bounce (left, right, stop, etc.), and that's where doing your best to evaluate the best landing spot is the key to that shot. The hybrid chip is something I use sometimes, typically when I'm 1-3 feet in the rough and the green is downhill and my goal is to JUST get the ball on the green and let the slope do the rest.

Good luck.
      Last edited by mit006; Oct 3, 2014, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I use my Hubie Green technique for this - SW, played off the back foot, hands waaaaay forward, so clubface is almost but not quite vertical.

Sharp descending blow lets the heavy head get through the grass, and the ball pops up with a tiny - not much - bit of backspin. Good thing is, ball flies relatively straight and you will hit a lot of pins and hole the occasional one.

Comment

I like the "chop" for this shot. Clubhead straight up and down, sticking it into the ground at the ball without any follow through. I practice it a fair bit and find the ball comes out dead.
          I like big putts and I cannot lie
          You other putters can't deny
          That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
          You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

^^^ what he said.
            I open my 60 degree and gently chop down on the back of the ball, leaving the club stuck in the ground. Ball pops up and very little roll.
            🍍 2023 WITB πŸβ€‹
            Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
            Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
            Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
            Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
            Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
            ​
            Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip​
            Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by TheOldCaddy View Post
              I use my Hubie Green technique for this - SW, played off the back foot, hands waaaaay forward, so clubface is almost but not quite vertical.

Sharp descending blow lets the heavy head get through the grass, and the ball pops up with a tiny - not much - bit of backspin. Good thing is, ball flies relatively straight and you will hit a lot of pins and hole the occasional one.
              Originally posted by The Troll View Post
              I like the "chop" for this shot. Clubhead straight up and down, sticking it into the ground at the ball without any follow through. I practice it a fair bit and find the ball comes out dead.
              These are the two priceless instructions - THANK you so much for sharing this. Just superb. With the "shaft lean forward" technique, I also use a LW sometimes, to get a bit higher shot (because the face gets quite de-lofted from the shaft leaning forward so much).

Many thanks and cheers !
              Last edited by veryold; Oct 5, 2014, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X