No announcement yet.
Collapse

Masters Green Jacket Found at Toronto Thrift Store in 1994 Now Up For Auction

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters Green Jacket Found at Toronto Thrift Store in 1994 Now Up For Auction

WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Re: Masters Green Jacket Found at Toronto Thrift Store in 1994 Now Up For Auction

Cool, bizarre story
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Re: Masters Green Jacket Found at Toronto Thrift Store in 1994 Now Up For Auction

Pretty cool. I seriously need to start hanging out at the thrift shops. I'd have kept it and have it framed for my den.

Comment

I seriously doubt that it was a 'Masters' jacket (i.e. awarded to a winner), but instead the jacket probably belonged to a Toronto-based member of ANGC.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
          I seriously doubt that it was a 'Masters' jacket (i.e. awarded to a winner), but instead the jacket probably belonged to a Toronto-based member of ANGC.
          That's what I'm assuming, since my understanding is that there is nothing about the jackets that would distinguish a Masters winner's jacket from a member's. But the auction house, which specializes in golf items, bills it as an "authentic Masters jacket," which, I would think, they'd have to have some way of backing up, for legal reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
            That's what I'm assuming, since my understanding is that there is nothing about the jackets that would distinguish a Masters winner's jacket from a member's. But the auction house, which specializes in golf items, bills it as an "authentic Masters jacket," which, I would think, they'd have to have some way of backing up, for legal reasons.
            It would go really well with that stale sandwich of yours.
            Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
              I suspect that the people at the auction house did not make a distinction between a 'Masters' jacket and a 'member' jacket.

Comment

With no name in it trying to determine Member or Champion would be hard.
                WITB
                9.5 Nike Covert
                15 TM Rocketballz
                3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
                52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
                TM White Smoke

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                  I suspect that the people at the auction house did not make a distinction between a 'Masters' jacket and a 'member' jacket.
                  That's the thing, though; as an auction house that specializes in golf memorabilia, you'd think they'd know that Masters winners receive the same jacket that members wear, so if they're billing it as an "authentic Masters jacket," then a) there's something that distinguishes it as being that of a Masters winner, or b) they're just slapping the name "Masters" on it without knowing one way or the other.

And if the latter ... they're misleading people who are potential bidders, and presumably doing so knowingly.

Of course, the other possibility is that even though they specialize in golf memorabilia, they did not know that Masters winners receive members jackets, and they also did absolutely nothing to verify its authenticity, because the slightest amount of work in that regard would have given them the information needed.

Any way you slice it, the auction house doesn't come off looking good unless it really is a Masters-winner's jacket.

Comment

I heard Gary Players was hard on cash a while back. Maybe the jacket belonged to him.

Comment

Just read that it sold for $139k.........!!
                      Ping G410 10.5*
                      Taylormade M6 3W
                      Callaway Diablo Edge 5W
                      TaylorMade P790 4 - PW
                      Ping Glide Stealth 50*
                      Ping Glide Stealth 54*
                      Cleveland 588 RTX LW 58*
                      Scotty Cameron Select GoLo

Comment

Originally posted by srichard View Post
                        Just read that it sold for $139k.........!!
                        I looked that up and it's true.

Then I learned something else. A model wore the jacket on the cover of "Golf International" Magazine in 2007.

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

Members are not allowed to take their jackets off the property. Winners are allowed to for the first year. Could lend credence to the winner theory?
                          What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                          TM Rescue 17*
                          TM M2 4-AW
                          TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                          Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse