X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TGN golf course rating

Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
    ^^^^

I agree with all 3 points wholeheartedly.
    Call it TGN Faves as opposed to best of anything

Comment

A agree 100% with both of the above posts.

Comment

If I base my rating system by looking at my 2 favourite courses in the Province:
        Beacon Hall
        Muskoka Bay

And my favorite public course in the GTA:
        Eagles Nest

My rating would weight the following:
        -Quality of the golf course design
        -Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning
        -Variety and Challenge of holes
        -Visual appeal
        -Service and facilities
        -Practice facilities
        -overall experience

IMO when it comes to the "best" value isn't a factor that I consider in the rating, at $200 a pop, none of the above courses can be said to be a good value play.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

There are some very good points being made on here and it tells me ratings on most criteria are very subjective. One man's Augusta is another man's Annandale. Maybe that's why the results of other surveys don't always make a lot sense as it depends on personal perspectives.

Comment

I think that a lot of TGN'rs are 'overthinking' the process....it's only a 'snapshot' of a moment in time....i.e., things change.

Let's see how it unfolds, but let's not wait forever

Good on Dave for putting forth the initiative
            Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
              I think that a lot of TGN'rs are 'overthinking' the process....it's only a 'snapshot' of a moment in time....i.e., things change.

Let's see how it unfolds, but let's not wait forever

Good on Dave for putting forth the initiative
              I would suggest the OP forget about it personally, unless the end result is strictly for a value based rating for GTA courses.

Golf Advisor works in this way and it generally works well. They look at:
              - Off Course Amenities
              - Value
              - Pace of Play
              - Staff Friendliness
              - Course Layout
              - Course Conditions.

These criteria all tell the golfer whether a course is worth playing, not if the course is one of the best.

The reason I suggest this is because a user based rating system for ranking the best courses in Ontario and the GTA has been done many times before and always fails. Letting the average user rate for the best course ends up with crazy results that nobody takes seriously and really have no use. It would take a lot of time and have no value in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
                I would suggest the OP forget about it personally, unless the end result is strictly for a value based rating for GTA courses.
                Thanks Debbie Downer/Dream Crusher
                Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
                  Thanks Debbie Downer/Dream Crusher
                  Debbie Downer (Rachel Dratch) meets Santa Claus (Jack Black) on Christmas Eve, 1978, after he comes sliding down the chimney, then sits on Saint Nicholas' la...

Comment

Originally posted by AverageJoe View Post
                    I would suggest the OP forget about it personally, unless the end result is strictly for a value based rating for GTA courses. Golf Advisor works in this way and it generally works well. They look at:
                    - Off Course Amenities
                    - Value
                    - Pace of Play
                    - Staff Friendliness
                    - Course Layout
                    - Course Conditions.
                    These criteria all tell the golfer whether a course is worth playing, not if the course is one of the best.
                    The reason I suggest this is because a user based rating system for ranking the best courses in Ontario and the GTA has been done many times before and always fails. Letting the average user rate for the best course ends up with crazy results that nobody takes seriously and really have no use. It would take a lot of time and have no value in the end.
                    ^^^^^
                    Must say I tend to agree with you, it's an overwhelming task, and unless done in a very simple form like I suggested previously, where people can just add to a pre-formatted spread sheet.
                    TGNers can already search and find course reviews under the "Golf Courses Section already on here, or create a thread for courses not previously listed.
                    Another alternative would be to just go to Golf Adviser Ontario and TGNers add their views to the peoples' already there. NB they only have the five categories, which should be enough.
                    Ontario Golf: Ontario golf courses, ratings and reviews
                    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                      ^^^^^ Another alternative would be to just go to Golf Adviser Ontario and TGNers add their views to the peoples' already there. NB they only have the five categories, which should be enough.
                      http://www.golfadvisor.com/course-di.../8342-ontario/
                      Here are the criteria that they use:
                      1. Off-Course Amenities
                      2. Value
                      3. Pace of Play
                      4. Staff Friendliness
                      5. Course Layout
                      6. Course Conditions

I am starting to believe that is value may be so subjective that instead just the course fee should be listed or there should be different categories based on green fees. (Under $40, $40 to $80, $80 to $120 or something similar).
                      Staff friendliness is a criteria that I am willing to omit.
                      However I believe that practice facilities do need to be rated, for instance does the course have a range and if so is it a full or short range and is it grass or mats?

Comment

Here is another thread on golf course rating

Chat about your favourite, best and worse Toronto golf courses. Share experiences or ask questions about Golf Courses and Country Clubs in the GTA, Ontario, Canada, or top golf travel destinations.
                        Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
                        Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

A golf survey designed by "committee". Yeah, this will get off the ground in my lifetime . Criteria is getting far too granular, so in order to decide what to define, maybe we ought to talk about HOW the data will be used.

Would it be intended for the new golfer deciding where to play?
                          Will it be for tourists?
                          Will it be for west end guys wanting to play east, and vice versa?
                          Will it be for TGNers to get out and play new courses?

As a public golf whore, I've played every public course within an hour radius, and have my own built-in rating system, so not sure how a Golf Nut like me would need such a list. I do like it, but curious to know why.

Once you know the why, you can then build or write software to meet that need.
                          – Greg

Comment

Is this a solution looking for a problem?

We have this nifty TGN thing here where one can get all the info they want for practically any course in southern Ontario and then some. We have golf rankings in Score, Canadian golf Magazine, Golf, Golf Advisor, Golf Digest, travelling golfer, Ontario golf News...

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
                              Here is another thread on golf course rating

http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=110508
                              An interesting thread.

My "design" above, in which you could personally adjust the weight of each criteria and re-sort the list to meet your own tastes addresses some of the challenges. If you don't care about the clubhouse, weight it at zero. Make conditioning worth 25 points. Whatever!

One of my biggest complaints about user ratings of stuff on places like Amazon, is that some people rate things very low because the delivery was late or the product arrived damaged. That doesn't make it a bad product.

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                              maybe we ought to talk about HOW the data will be used.

Would it be intended for the new golfer deciding where to play?
                              Will it be for tourists?
                              Will it be for west end guys wanting to play east, and vice versa?
                              Will it be for TGNers to get out and play new courses?
                              Once you know the why, you can then build or write software to meet that need.
                              My take on it, from the OP, is that the various annual lists we see always have some real oddities that we strongly disagree with. So this rating would be done BY the much smarter members of TGN FOR the members of TGN. In that way, it would be a list that better matched our ideas of what good and bad courses are.

Ideally, it would be locked and tied to TGN userids so we wouldn't get any riff-raff.

Given that we never disagree about anything here, I think it stands a real chance!

Actually, it sounds like a lot of work.

I used to read music reviews in audio magazines that rated both the quality of the performance and the quality of the recording separately. It could be a great performance with lousy sound, but that's okay if that's what you want.

Maybe a similar simple approach would work for golf: Quality of the course (layout, scenic, challenge, walkable) and quality of service (clubhouse, marshals, starter, conditions, pace).

edit - I'd also rate the practice facilities. That's a whole separate thing.
                              Last edited by Ignatius Reilly; Dec 29, 2016, 09:44 AM. Reason: we're talking about practice?
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
                                not sure how a Golf Nut like me would need such a list. I do like it, but curious to know why.
                                People want to compare/validate their opinions with other folks that have had similar empirical experiences...same reason Tripdadvisor and Yelp are popular. To paraphrase Sally Field "You like me. You really, really like me". The problem with this site is statistically there's likely not enough active users to get a good sample size. The numbers will get skewed by the Osprey fanboi votes.

I'd take the results with a grain of salt anyway, considering TGN users voted Kawartha Dairy as the best ice cream.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X