Club length driver/3 wood

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club length driver/3 wood

Hi all.

I know I could do a search on this topic as it's been been discussed before, but I wanted to get a fresh perspective on this.

Given the high MOI drivers (and woods) these days, I'm curious to know if you are playing your driver and FW woods a little longer than in the past.

My FT-i LCG and 906F4 woods are currently sitting at stock length and I'm considering chopping an inch of the driver and a half inch off the woods.

I've also read that trimming the butt end of a shaft decreases a clubs MOI. Anyone know anything about that?
    Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
    Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
    Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
    5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
    Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
    X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
    X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
    Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
    Titleist ProV1x

Re: Club length driver/3 wood

[quote=laxgolf]Hi all.

I know I could do a search on this topic as it's been been discussed before, but I wanted to get a fresh perspective on this.

Given the high MOI drivers (and woods) these days, I'm curious to know if you are playing your driver and FW woods a little longer than in the past.

My FT-i LCG and 906F4 woods are currently sitting at stock length and I'm considering chopping an inch of the driver and a half inch off the woods.

I've also read that trimming the butt end of a shaft decreases a clubs MOI. Anyone know anything about that?[/quote]

correct.....making a club longer increases the MOI but the impact is not great

adding weight to the head of a club has a greater influence on increasing the clubs MOI

here is something that you are probably looking for:

I am too lazy to re-type so cut and pasted it from my notes on MOI

MOI is influenced by driver head weight. Each 1 gram of head weight added to your driver will increase the MOI by approximately 35 g-cm2. Most driver heads today weigh 200 grams or a bit less. Most drivers are also 45” long, or even longer. Manufacturers target swingweights to D-0 or D-1. For the last six years, we’ve been on a campaign to improve driver performance. Here’s our recommendation:

We add eight to twelve grams of weight to your driver head The head weight will now be 208-212 grams and the MOI will increase by 280-420 g-cm2. If your driver is average it will measure about 4600 g-cm2. With 400 extra “whatever units” it will be up to about 5000 g-cm2. That’s more than the brand new SUMO.

At the same time, we’re going to cut at least an inch off of your shaft. We may need to trim from the tip to stiffen the shaft to make up for the extra head weight. The inch we cut off will decrease swingweight by six points. But each two grams of additional head weight adds back one swing weight point. So, it’s a wash. You get a shorter driver, with higher MOI that you’ll hit straighter and maybe farther. Swingweight stays the same.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I have been cutting my drivers down to 44 or even 43.5 inches with little distance loss but big gain in control. My experinece so far.

Comment

Something you could try without cutting down your clubs is to remove the grip and add some two-sided tape under the bottom half of the grip towards the clubhead, removing some of the taper out of the grip.. That way, when you grip down (choke up) on the club to a shorter length, the feel in your hands are the same (same diameter).

Did that jibberish make sense?
        "The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Samick
          Something you could try without cutting down your clubs is to remove the grip and add some two-sided tape under the bottom half of the grip towards the clubhead, removing some of the taper out of the grip.. That way, when you grip down (choke up) on the club to a shorter length, the feel in your hands are the same (same diameter).

Did that jibberish make sense?
          The golf ho in me probably won't touch the length of the driver since I can see myself going to the FT-9 sometime in the next year. Maybe I'll just go Anthony Kim-style and choke down an inch.

Since I don't tend to replace FW's often, I'll be keeping the Titleist FW's in the bag for awhile so I have no issues chopping them down a half inch. The stock swingweight is D6 on one and D5 on the other. Taking a half inch off them isn't a big deal as the clubs will fall in line with the rest of my set.

[quote=Weirfan]
          Originally posted by laxgolf
          Hi all.

I've also read that trimming the butt end of a shaft decreases a clubs MOI. Anyone know anything about that?[/quote]

correct.....making a club longer increases the MOI but the impact is not great

adding weight to the head of a club has a greater influence on increasing the clubs MOI

here is something that you are probably looking for:

I am too lazy to re-type so cut and pasted it from my notes on MOI

MOI is influenced by driver head weight. Each 1 gram of head weight added to your driver will increase the MOI by approximately 35 g-cm2. Most driver heads today weigh 200 grams or a bit less. Most drivers are also 45” long, or even longer. Manufacturers target swingweights to D-0 or D-1. For the last six years, we’ve been on a campaign to improve driver performance. Here’s our recommendation:

We add eight to twelve grams of weight to your driver head The head weight will now be 208-212 grams and the MOI will increase by 280-420 g-cm2. If your driver is average it will measure about 4600 g-cm2. With 400 extra “whatever units” it will be up to about 5000 g-cm2. That’s more than the brand new SUMO.

At the same time, we’re going to cut at least an inch off of your shaft. We may need to trim from the tip to stiffen the shaft to make up for the extra head weight. The inch we cut off will decrease swingweight by six points. But each two grams of additional head weight adds back one swing weight point. So, it’s a wash. You get a shorter driver, with higher MOI that you’ll hit straighter and maybe farther. Swingweight stays the same.
          Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'd be sending back to Callaway to get it back up to the correct SW. Maybe they'll just think it's easier to just reach into the FT-9 bin rather than rebuild the club.

Probably not.
          Last edited by laxgolf; Jan 26, 2009, 01:29 PM. Reason: Automerged posts
          Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
          Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
          Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
          5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
          Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
          X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
          X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
          Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
          Titleist ProV1x

Comment

[quote=laxgolf]The golf ho in me probably won't touch the length of the driver since I can see myself going to the FT-9 sometime in the next year. Maybe I'll just go Anthony Kim-style and choke down an inch.

Since I don't tend to replace FW's often, I'll be keeping the Titleist FW's in the bag for awhile so I have no issues chopping them down a half inch. The stock swingweight is D6 on one and D5 on the other. Taking a half inch off them isn't a big deal as the clubs will fall in line with the rest of my set.

Originally posted by Weirfan

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'd be sending back to Callaway to get it back up to the correct SW. Maybe they'll just think it's easier to just reach into the FT-9 bin rather than rebuild the club.

Probably not.
            correct sw???

if you want to cut the club shorter you can do this without changing anything else and try it......

if you want an increase in MOI, you can still add weight to the head and not make changes elsewhere and try that....however as indicated above changes elsewhere might be helpful and needed

to increase the sw you can have it reshafted with a heavier shaft....or add weight to the head ( several ways to do this as you know....through lead tape, shaft tip pins and adding a tungsten slurry mix after drilling into the sole of the head or through the bottom of the hosel ( if you take the shaft out)

it all depends on the end goal

pesonally I would suggest that you bring it to a good and qualified clubmaker rather than send it to Callaway....
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by compugeek
              I have been cutting my drivers down to 44 or even 43.5 inches with little distance loss but big gain in control. My experinece so far.
              Did you add weight to get the swing weight back up?
              I check some drivers on my swing weight scale and they are D4 so you could cut a half inch and end up D1.
              In your experience does it make it play a little stiffer?
              Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
              Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
              Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
              Ping G400 4H - 22*
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan
                Did you add weight to get the swing weight back up?
                I check some drivers on my swing weight scale and they are D4 so you could cut a half inch and end up D1.
                In your experience does it make it play a little stiffer?
                Play my Driver at 44"....Yes, had to add some rat glue to the head to get it up to the desired D3 SW.

Comment

Originally posted by TORAIDER
                  Play my Driver at 44"....Yes, had to add some rat glue to the head to get it up to the desired D3 SW.
                  Did it feel any stiffer, I would imagine cutting from the butt would have a very small if any affect.
                  Thinking of doing it to a Callaway FTI LCG I just picked up for $4.00
                  Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                  Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                  Ping G400 4H - 22*
                  Ping G400 5 - UW
                  Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                  Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Did it feel any stiffer, I would imagine cutting from the butt would have a very small if any affect.
                    Thinking of doing it to a Callaway FTI LCG I just picked up for $4.00
                    Technically speaking...it should be a touch stiffer when you first cut it down, but then by adding the weight, softens it back up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Samick
                      Technically speaking...it should be a touch stiffer when you first cut it down, but then by adding the weight, softens it back up a little.
                      I'm thinking of taking a half inch off it so I think I would only need to replace about six grams or 3 SW points.
                      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                      Ping G400 4H - 22*
                      Ping G400 5 - UW
                      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

I'm thinking of taking a half inch off it so I think I would only need to replace about six grams or 3 SW points.
                        I did that with my old Launcher 460 and it was the best move I ever made. Little lead tape on the head and it was one of the best sticks I have owned.

Comment

I agree with the geek. I decided to move to 43.5" and go to a 11 degree loft on my new driver.
                          Just got back from Santee and I noticed that I may have lost 5 yards ( I feel this is due to the change from a 9 degree to the 11).

Fact is I wore out a couple of golf balls!!. Hit a lot of fairways and I was really confortable hitting the driver. Made my quota pts 2 out of 5 times.. only guy that cashed!!
                          I am hooked on fairways now!!

Comment

You might find that you are futher ahead just to have them re-shafted.
                            But you'll have to really like them allot to justify the cost

Comment

Since I had Swaainer cut down my driver from 45" to 44", I've seen an immediate increase in my accuracy with little to no loss of distance. I played last week in Houston, and hit approximately 60% of my fairways compared to about 35% the last season I played a full season (2007). And my misses were mostly a few yards from the fairway, and once was too long (dogleg, ran out of runway!). It just seems a lot more consistent now.
                              U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X