Collapse

First time getting fit

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time getting fit

Hi all, this is my second year of golf and I'm starting to really get into it. I shoot around 85 from the white tees on most public courses. I'm using hand-me-down taylormade super steel irons right now (a model from 2000) and I'm finally thinking about putting money into a nice set of irons.

I have a few concerns though.

I've never had lessons, so I know there is lots of room for improvement in my swing. However, I already drive 260 and hit my 7 165 and I think my swing speed is about 95 mph. If what I've read is right, then I'm right where I need to be for a stiff flex. I don't see myself getting much faster than that, just hopefully a bit more fundamentally correct.
    My question is, should I wait until I get lessons and hopefully a better swing before getting fit? Or is getting fit more focused on your height/arm length?

And if they tell me I need a 1.5* flat lie angle and thats it, should I spend the extra money and order brand new clubs and get their specifications or is buying used clubs and getting them adjusted somewhere just as good?

I realize this is a long post and I appreciate if you've read it all. Anything helps. Thanks.

Re: First time getting fit

2nd year and shooting 85. I'd say stay with what you got and sign up for lesson that address specific areas in your game.

Comment

Originally posted by dekker View Post
      2nd year and shooting 85. I'd say stay with what you got and sign up for lesson that address specific areas in your game.
      Agree with that, use what you have get lessons and see what your teacher thinks ..JMO

Comment

What's your iron ball flight like? missing left?
        TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
        TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
        TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
        Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
        Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
        100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I was at golf town using the ping colour fitting club thing they have. I measured my wrist to floor to be 32" and I'm 6'0, so that puts me at purple dot (1.5* flat). I've never hit a club better than that purple dot 7 iron. I have a problem with hooking the ball as I get to my longer irons. I think this is because the heel hits the ground first and closes the face on me. Its my ability to get into 150 yards or less off the tee that lets me shoot 85.

But ability doesn't fit much in club fitting besides shaft flex? Its more the height and wrist to floor?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
            What's your iron ball flight like? missing left?
            Yes, exactly this. Not so bad with my PW and 9, but 7 iron + I have a problem with a hook. Its either that or a push right.

Comment

Originally posted by Musicman14 View Post
              Yes, exactly this. Not so bad with my PW and 9, but 7 iron + I have a problem with a hook. Its either that or a push right.
              Everything does lead me to believe your short irons are too upright - possibly all your clubs. Length's could be in queation as well. Length and lie are directly related and both need to be correct to your best address position. Take a look at my site for a better understanding.

I'm a strong believer in getting the player in their best athletic address position for every club, regardless of their stature.

To your question about new or used - New Custom will have lower tolerances and will be built correctly where everything is geared toward you. Retrofit works if the clubs are workable, but things like shaft alignment, flex etc don't get considered. You have to live with the tolerances of the manufacturer for certain uncontrolable specifications.

I'm just out in Hampton so please call if I can help.
              Appointment only.
              Last edited by TLT Dan; Jun 25, 2011, 08:31 PM.
              Regards
              Dan

True Length Technology TM
              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
              True Frequency Technology TM
              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
              - Master
              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
              - Advanced / Professional
              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
              - Class 'A'

Comment

Okay, Thanks.

So say I get fit now to a set of clubs.
                If by next year I take some lessons and my swing is better, will my clubs no longer be the right fit for me?

Thanks so much for all your help btw.

Comment

If by next year I take some lessons and my swing is better, will my clubs no longer be the right fit for me?
                  They will still "fit" you unless your swing is seriously modified. Worst case you pull your shafts, set new ones and sell the old here on the BST.
                  WIT PING DLX cart bag:
                  Titleist 910 D3 8.5° Proforce V2 XS
                  PING G10 15.5° PING TFC 129 S
                  Titleist 910H 21° Diamana Ka'li S
                  PING i15 black dot Z-Z65 +1 S 4-PW
                  Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl 52°, 56°, 60° 2 dot
                  Titleist ProV1x
                  Putters:
                  Bettinardi Signature Model Two D.A.S.S/F.I.T. 35"
                  Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB5*SS D.A.S.S 34"
                  TaylorMade Rossa TP by Kia Ma Daytona 35"
                  Odyssey Teron XG White hot 34"

Comment

Thanks a lot you guys have been so much help.

Comment

First time getting fit

My question is, should I wait until I get lessons and hopefully a better swing before getting fit? Or is getting fit more focused on your height/arm length?
                      You are progressing quite fast and this adds enjoyment of the game. Other than having TM irons from 2000 you don't tell us much more else about your sticks. You think you need S flex, so are your TM's S flex now? Forget the big box retailers if you want real knowledge, a better fit, value and performance.

A ton of stuff to consider like do you even have the right set makeup for your 14 clubs. Working with a top clubfitter and clubmaker can be a golden opportunity. Quite frankly I wouldn't take lessons with ill fitted equipment. Starting with a box of heads can yield a superior fitting rather than being limited by already assembled clubs.

Don't overlook getting more distance with the driver and more accuracy with the short game weapons (wedges and putter). The majority of golfers play with a putter which is totally ill fitted and far from being right.

People rarely outgrow clubs after a year even with a swing change, not that a lie adjustment cannot correct. Normally the fitting is wrong to begin with then with a swing change it gets magnified. If the fit and build is not optimized then you have not received the best value for your $'s.

Are you a leftie or a rightie?
                      Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                      Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                      Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                        You think you need S flex, so are your TM's S flex now? A ton of stuff to consider like do you even have the right set makeup for your 14 clubs.
                        My TM's are actually regular flex, but I've hit S flex clubs and find them much better. My current set up is 9.5 Driver, 15* wood, 19* hybrid, 24* hybrid, 5-pw, 50*, 54*, 58*, putter.

Forget the big box retailers if you want real knowledge, a better fit, value and performance.
                        I was planning on going to the mizuno fitting coming up at the scarborough GT... that's a bad idea?

Are you a leftie or a rightie?
                        I'm a rightie.

And I should consider getting just heads and having those adjusted opposed to pre built clubs?

Thanks so much, that's very helpful.

Comment

Okay, Thanks.

So say I get fit now to a set of clubs.

Thanks so much for all your help btw.
                          See, my method of fitting is to get you in your best athletic address position which will help your swing develop correctly. Playing with ill fit clubs will cause you to make swing corrections to suit the club.

Everyone benefits from playing out of their best address position. Adjustments affect your consistency and limits your ability to develop correctness to your game. Sometimes a small lie adjustment - down the road, becomes necessary, but the length should remain correct. This however is a seldom occurance with a TLT fitting. The only concern is flex as you may increase swing speed dramatically as you improve (or mayby not), but the flex is a consideration during the fitting and what your goals are.
                          Regards
                          Dan

True Length Technology TM
                          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                          True Frequency Technology TM
                          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                          - Master
                          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                          - Advanced / Professional
                          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                          - Class 'A'

Comment

My TM's are actually regular flex, but I've hit S flex clubs and find them much better. My current set up is 9.5 Driver, 15* wood, 19* hybrid, 24* hybrid, 5-pw, 50*, 54*, 58*, putter.

I was planning on going to the mizuno fitting coming up at the scarborough GT... that's a bad idea?

I'm a rightie.

And I should consider getting just heads and having those adjusted opposed to pre built clubs?

Thanks so much, that's very helpful.
                            There's nothing wrong with going to that fitting. It's free and it will give you a chance to try some great clubs with the help of the Mizuno rep.

One thing to keep in mind, you are playing an older set of clubs and if you move to a comparable set of current clubs, you're going to likely find them to be bigger with a thicker top line. Some people care about that, others don't.

As well, keep an eye on the BST here once you've decided - there's lots of good deals to be found.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                            TM SLDR 10.5*
                            TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
                            TM Rescue 22*
                            4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
                            Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
                            Ping Ketch
                            Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

The Ping fitting system is a starting point. That would be used to get the basis of the start of the fit. You then use that in conjunction with what you are looking to accomplish flight wise to find your optimal fit.

Your fit can change in the future, specifically after some major swing over hauls. Now without seeing your swing it is difficult to say if lessons will change your fit or not. It is quite easy to be a good ball striker with a fundamentally flawed swing, which could be changed by a teaching professional. If you are willing to make the changes to help your game progress to the next point.

That being said, the shaft flex should not change drastically after the fitting, along with the club length. What would most likely change would be the lie angle. Now if you were to purchase a set of clubs that are somewhat soft, (forged or some high end cast) these can easily be adjusted in the future to suit your new swing.

It is quite possible for the lie to change quite a bit from swing changes, heck I changed 3* in one season from working on my swing and getting into a better swing plane.

Not at all.

It is a great start to learning about your fit. The Mizzy system is a great system to get the information you are looking for.

As for a comment about getting fitted at the Big Box stores, I take exception to that. Many of the staff members at the Big Box stores are more than qualified to help. Many of them have much more knowledge than they are given credit for. I personally know some who have more fitting and building knowledge than many of the "professional builders" who frequent the forums.

You are more than welcome to come visit me at any point at GT Markham East and ask as many questions as you want.

As for the knowledge of staff members are the Big Box stores, it can be hit and miss, but that is what training and experience is all about. You can pick up who knows their stuff just by talking with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff
                              WITB:

Stage 2 Tour / Accra CB 55 M4
                              Stage 2 Tour 16.5 / Accra Tour Z LS 65 M4
                              Adams A12 Tour 3,4 / Accra Dymatch RT S3 M4
                              Miura 501 CB / Accra Hybrex M4
                              Titleist TVD Wedgeworks
                              Scotty Cameron Tour Rat
                              Scotty Cameron Knuckelhead
                              Ball: Lethal

Comment