Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Tour Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Feb 13, 2017, 03:05 AM   #51
ARL67
Tour Pro

Default Re: Let's Go Mike Weir- Official thread

I'm going to print up some T-Shirts -> "Make Mike Great Again"
Titleist 915HD 17.5* with Diamana S+ 70S
Mizuno MP-53 4-PW with KBS Tour V 125, TLT built by Dan
Nike VR Pro 50/54/58 with KBS Tour V 125, TLT built by Dan
TM Ghost Spider 33" SuperStroke Slim 3.0
ARL67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2017, 08:56 AM   #52
Bosco
Tour Pro

Deep down i do like Mike as a golfer but the last time that i really found myself cheering for him was at the presidents cup in 2007....that was a long time ago. Nobody likes it when their sports heroes start to fade. Its part of the rollercoaster of being a sports fan
Old Feb 13, 2017, 06:45 PM   #53
Mr22putt
Scratch Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerguy1961 View Post
I have been around him several times at the Canadian Open and he is not the friendliest of players. Lots of other players are much better with the crowds than MW.
Considering an entire nation is rooting for him....one would think he'd reciprocate and be nicer to the fans.

I've seen his aloofness enough times at tournaments.

At Pearson in 2014.....Weir, Delaet & Hearn were waiting for their luggage after their flight from Montreal (the Canadian Open).
Not too many recognized them.
Weir was on his own, but was smug to the few that said hi to him.
Delaet and Hearn were with their families, but yet had no issues saying hi and smiling or posing for selfies when people asked....these two get it.

I'd rather root for Brooke and the other Canucks who appreciate their fans.
Mr22putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2017, 09:11 AM   #54
Pimento Cheese
Tour Pro

I've heard many people say that Weir is unfriendly or aloof with fans. (I've also heard the opposite, but that doesn't cancel out the negative.)

But I've also heard that he's tremendously introverted, and the kinds of stories I've heard about him being unfriendly are consistent with someone who is very introverted: he avoids autographs, doesn't really talk to a lot of fans, and often seems to "snub" people. He's pleasant with other golfers, especially ones he knows well, but not so much with strangers coming up to him. As far as I know that's the extent of it -- I don't hear much about him giving people lip or being an aggressive a-hole. It sounds like his transgressions are matters of avoidance rather than confrontations.

Whether any of the above is accurate or not, I don't know -- I've never met him. I've only heard what others have said. So maybe the "introverted" thing is BS -- excuse-making from fans.

But if that's the case -- if he is simply introverted and uncomfortable with fans -- that can be jarring for golfers, since we're used to friendliness when we play. (Come to think of it, introverts seem rather rare on the golf course.)

All of what I've written in this post could be nonsense, of course; I'm just throwing it out there.
Pimento Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2017, 09:39 AM   #55
Ignatius Reilly
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
I've heard many people say that Weir is unfriendly or aloof with fans. (I've also heard the opposite, but that doesn't cancel out the negative.)

But I've also heard that he's tremendously introverted, and the kinds of stories I've heard about him being unfriendly are consistent with someone who is very introverted:
I have no idea if he is or not, but as an introvert myself it's the exact behaviour I would expect.

One aspect of the Myers-Briggs concept of introversion is that crowds are exhausting - and that's not helpful for playing good golf.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:35 AM   #56
dkedad
Tour Pro

I go with the "introverted" scenario
I'd be gun shy too if I had an encounter with a fan like the one he had at the Canadian Open in 2004;

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/mike-weir-cold
Old Feb 15, 2017, 02:30 AM   #57
hammy1983
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento Cheese View Post

But I've also heard that he's tremendously introverted, and the kinds of stories I've heard about him being unfriendly are consistent with someone who is very introverted: he avoids autographs, doesn't really talk to a lot of fans, and often seems to "snub" people. He's pleasant with other golfers, especially ones he knows well, but not so much with strangers coming up to him. As far as I know that's the extent of it -- I don't hear much about him giving people lip or being an aggressive a-hole. It sounds like his transgressions are matters of avoidance rather than confrontations.

Whether any of the above is accurate or not, I don't know -- I've never met him. I've only heard what others have said. So maybe the "introverted" thing is BS -- excuse-making from fans.

But if that's the case -- if he is simply introverted and uncomfortable with fans -- that can be jarring for golfers, since we're used to friendliness when we play. (Come to think of it, introverts seem rather rare on the golf course.)

All of what I've written in this post could be nonsense, of course; I'm just throwing it out there.

It would be different if he just avoided the autographs or just didnt talk. OK fine. The issue is he is smug about it. Gives dirty looks, snappy responses. He has a few players he's ok with but for the most part he is know by other players and caddies as a smug person. Mr's delaet for example... is not that talkative with the public but doesnt come off smug. Even robert allenby is more approachable than MW. But as much as I dont like him... I still find myself hoping he gets out of this rut and starts playing better.
Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2/Taylormade OS Daytona
hammy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 02:57 AM   #58
SkyMark
Low Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy1983 View Post
It would be different if he just avoided the autographs or just didnt talk. OK fine. The issue is he is smug about it. Gives dirty looks, snappy responses. He has a few players he's ok with but for the most part he is know by other players and caddies as a smug person. Mr's delaet for example... is not that talkative with the public but doesnt come off smug. Even robert allenby is more approachable than MW. But as much as I dont like him... I still find myself hoping he gets out of this rut and starts playing better.
It's not uncommon for introverts to be perceived by others, especially extroverts, as aloof and arrogant. Maybe that's the case here, I don't know. But I hope he gets his golf game figured out, or moves on to the next phase of his life.
SkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 04:44 AM   #59
Pimento Cheese
Tour Pro

Quote:
I'd have to actually see/hear examples of the dirty looks or snappy responses. "Smug" is an observer's perception and makes assumptions. But it's tough for me to comment without witnessing, other than to say "introvert" is not the same thing as "quiet" or even "shy."
Pimento Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 09:17 AM   #60
Mr22putt
Scratch Golfer

I'm not buying the introvert angle....and no one is pure 100% introvert....people are a blend of introvert/extrovert.

I think Lexi Thompson is a natural 'introvert'....was sheltered being home schooled and then turned pro at 15.....so if if she is shy,etc....she still comes across very likeable and approachable to her fans, etc.
Same with Annika....she was so shy as a teen...she'd throw a tournament so she would not have to give a winner's speech...after she won her 1st event in 1995...the USWO...she was so rattled...she was bedridden for a couple of days....now with fame.....she has changed....now we can't get her to shut-up and she's really bad in the broadcast booth.

We all make decisions in life...Mike has decided to be aloof and smug to people and fans....oh well...it's his decision and his life.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 04:57 PM   #61
slightdraw
Scratch Golfer

I was directly involved in a corporate event in 2003 when Weir, Adam Scott, Vijay, Fred Funk and CH3 all came to the course I worked at to play with Bell execs. Weirs demands, not requests, demands were as follows before he arrived. A paid duty officer at the front entrance in case people tried to sneak on and see him play, a list of all people who will be on the property that day, employees, golfers, maintenance staff, nobody is allowed to ask him for his autograph while he is on the property, no employees can speak to him, wanted easy pins, and a plain clothes officer walking with his group, even though it's a private course and nobody knew he was there. The other pros made many comments that he thinks he is Tiger Woods and how sad it was that we were in Canada and he refused to sign autographs, that's not an introvert that's a *****, I learned all I needed to that day, I hope he continues to embarrass himself out there and eventually retire.
slightdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:36 PM   #62
just123123
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightdraw View Post
I was directly involved in a corporate event in 2003 when Weir, Adam Scott, Vijay, Fred Funk and CH3 all came to the course I worked at to play with Bell execs. Weirs demands, not requests, demands were as follows before he arrived. A paid duty officer at the front entrance in case people tried to sneak on and see him play, a list of all people who will be on the property that day, employees, golfers, maintenance staff, nobody is allowed to ask him for his autograph while he is on the property, no employees can speak to him, wanted easy pins, and a plain clothes officer walking with his group, even though it's a private course and nobody knew he was there. The other pros made many comments that he thinks he is Tiger Woods and how sad it was that we were in Canada and he refused to sign autographs, that's not an introvert that's a *****, I learned all I needed to that day, I hope he continues to embarrass himself out there and eventually retire.
WOW, that sounds bizzare. Makes you wonder if he's had some bad experiences or.... he's just like a ****
Utility(s): TM Superfast 18*
Irons: Cally Big Bertha 7-AW
Wedge: Cleveland Forged 588 60*
Putter: STX Sync 4

What's In The Bag FLA:
Driver: Talyormade M2 9*
3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15*
Utility(s): TM Superfast 18* Cobra 26* 32*
Wedge: Cleveland 56* 60*
just123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:24 PM   #63
Habcentric
Tour Pro

If I added my own Mike Weir encounters in here it would feel like I was piling on, so I'll refrain from that. I think he should pack it in and maybe try the Seniors' tour whenever that time comes. Rooting for him now is beyond useless.
Habcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:12 PM   #64
Mr22putt
Scratch Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightdraw View Post
1) I was directly involved in a corporate event in 2003 when Weir, Adam Scott, Vijay, Fred Funk and CH3 all came to the course I worked at to play with Bell execs. Weirs demands, not requests, demands were as follows before he arrived. A paid duty officer at the front entrance in case people tried to sneak on and see him play, a list of all people who will be on the property that day, employees, golfers, maintenance staff, nobody is allowed to ask him for his autograph while he is on the property, no employees can speak to him, wanted easy pins, and a plain clothes officer walking with his group, even though it's a private course and nobody knew he was there. The other pros made many comments that he thinks he is Tiger Woods

2) and how sad it was that we were in Canada and he refused to sign autographs, that's not an introvert that's a *****, I learned all I needed to that day, I hope he continues to embarrass himself out there and eventually retire.
1) You worked at Hamilton G&CC (the 2003 Cdn Open venue) or maybe St. Georges or The National or Magna to make it easier for the Toronto based Bell execs?

2) Yes...this sums it up....Weir acting this way for his home country fans...I can only imagine how stand off he'd be playing in the US with more aggressive fans.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 01:29 AM   #65
rgk5
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr22putt View Post
1) You worked at Hamilton G&CC (the 2003 Cdn Open venue) or maybe St. Georges or The National or Magna to make it easier for the Toronto based Bell execs?

2) Yes...this sums it up....Weir acting this way for his home country fans...I can only imagine how stand off he'd be playing in the US with more aggressive fans.
I have much worse stories from 2006 at the HG+CC but that one is typical.
#1 Callaway GBB 9.5*, Kuro Kage R
#2 Tourstage 705 455 10.5*, GD BB11 O1W Black S
Taylor Made V-Steel 15*, Stock MAS S
Srixon H45 19*, Kuro Kage R
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-pw, DG Pro R300
Nike Engage 50*, 56*, 60*, DG-S200
Bettinardi BB1`35"

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"
rgk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 02:15 AM   #66
hammy1983
Tour Pro

Well if there is a positive... he treats most the same because other players and caddies view him the exact same. I've had the privilege to drive a lot of players and caddies and I asked them did I just catch mike on a few off days? the answer was always no. Its unfortunate because I really wanted to cheer for him. So many PGA tour players are beyond nice with very few bad apples.
Most of the general public does not know what mike is like and despite how he is, he was still one of the best golfers, has grown the game tremendously in canada and given hope to those who are not long bombers. A *** or not... he has a major and and 7 other PGA tour victories.
Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
Old Feb 17, 2017, 02:41 AM   #67
just123123
Tour Pro

Quote:
Well if there is a positive...

Most of the general public does not know what mike is like and despite how he is, he was still one of the best golfers, has grown the game tremendously in canada and given hope to those who are not long bombers. A *** or not... he has a major and and 7 other PGA tour victories.
Best Canadian golfer of all time?
Utility(s): TM Superfast 18*
Wedge: Cleveland Forged 588 60*

What's In The Bag FLA:
Driver: Talyormade M2 9*
3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15*
Utility(s): TM Superfast 18* Cobra 26* 32*
Wedge: Cleveland 56* 60*
just123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 03:44 AM   #68
wrigley
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by just123123 View Post
Best Canadian golfer of all time?
Yes, if winning money was the criteria. But I would add George Knudson and Sandra Post Marlene Stuart Streit in the mix also.
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 03:53 AM   #69
hammy1983
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Yes, if winning money was the criteria. But I would add George Knudson and Sandra Post Marlene Stuart Streit in the mix also.
exactly. I sure than are many names that can compete with best canadian golfer ....throw in Mr Norman. If your referring to PGA tour results I'd put Mike slightly ahead of Knudson based on a major victory. Knudson was close though.
Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
Old Feb 17, 2017, 05:10 AM   #70
bogey5
Tour Pro

Like most I was thrilled when a canuck won the Masters. But my limited experience at a couple of events where his charity was a major beneficiary didn't leave me as a fan of the person. Seems to me that his chances of a PGA win at this stage are not much better than Dave Barr's.
bogey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 05:27 AM   #71
Lob wedge
Tour Pro

My Son (about 11 at the time) and 2 other juniors played 9 holes with him (I caddied for the kid) at a private function put on by Taylor Made and it was fantastic. He put on a clinic afterwards for some members and stayed and talked answered questions for hours on the lawn. Was a great day. Ive followed and supported him since he was on the Canadian tour and will continue to do so until he retires. Great story and I really dont understand why people spend so much negative energy on disliking someone they don't even know.
Lob wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 05:56 AM   #72
Johnrw
Club Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lob wedge View Post
My Son (about 11 at the time) and 2 other juniors played 9 holes with him (I caddied for the kid) at a private function put on by Taylor Made and it was fantastic. He put on a clinic afterwards for some members and stayed and talked answered questions for hours on the lawn. Was a great day. Ive followed and supported him since he was on the Canadian tour and will continue to do so until he retires. Great story and I really dont understand why people spend so much negative energy on disliking someone they don't even know.
So you encountered one really good experience and now your chastising others. It's nice you added a positive spin, but I have no idea how you know people spend "so much time" when you know them probably as well as you know Mike.
Johnrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 07:50 AM   #73
thunderbolt
High Handicapper

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/cor...ark-dark-dark/

Not saying it's an issue like this, but you never know what's going on in someone's head...
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 08:21 AM   #74
hammy1983
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/cor...ark-dark-dark/

Not saying it's an issue like this, but you never know what's going on in someone's head...
Depression is ruthless and scary. I've spent a few years of my life confused, pondering thoughts, suffering etc. In no way possible is that an excuse to be mean to others.
Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
Old Feb 18, 2017, 06:38 PM   #75
TourIQ
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Mike's Stats

Driving distance 240, that's not a typo
Driving Accuracy 50%
Greens in reg , 6
He would be lucky to be competitive on the Champions Tour.

How does a pro get to a driving distance of 240 yards average, heck many LPGA ladies hit it further?
Did he have 6 too many coaches and as many swing changes who/which messed up his swing and confidence, or physical ailments to deal with, or both?

There is no denial that Mike is the most decorated Cdn Golfer with a Green Jacket and multiple wins on tour, but no excuse for being entitled, a demand to be treated like a rock star, and for being an arse around his fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
I have no idea if he is or not, but as an introvert myself it's the exact behaviour I would expect.

One aspect of the Myers-Briggs concept of introversion is that crowds are exhausting - and that's not helpful for playing good golf.
FB and I was invited to a private gathering to meet one-on-one for a few minutes with Moe Norman and he treated us both very respectful, and Moe was not comfortable around adults.

The 'I' in Myers-Briggs stands for Introversion (inner world of ideas and images) vs. Extraversion (outer world of people and things). Don't confuse Introversion with shyness or reclusiveness, as they are not related. I know several people with Introversion tendencies per M-B personality type, and they are extraverts when dealing with teams or larger gathering of people.

Weir's problem (speculative of course) is he thinks others are beneath himself. Tough way to go through life.

Last edited by TourIQ; Feb 18, 2017 at 06:56 PM.
TourIQ is offline   Reply With Quote