Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  


Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > The 19th Hole
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 15, 2017, 08:33 AM   #1
brady93
Duffer
 
Join Date: Aug 1, 2010
Location: GTA
Posts: 10
Default North or South Caroline Golf

A buddy and I are trying to plan a golf trip in March and drive from Toronto down to Carolina for a weekend.

The Leafs play in Raleigh on March 11 so we were kinda looking at that weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions on golf packages that are good and affordable down there?

THANKS
brady93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 09:05 AM   #2
Jeffc
Tour Pro
 
Jeffc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 16, 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 12,929
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

long drive for a weekend.

check out eatsleepdrinkgolf - one of the sponsors of the site. He can set you up
__________________
MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!
Jeffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Big Shooter
Tour Pro
 
Big Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 3, 2005
Location: South Central North York!
Posts: 30,332
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
long drive for a weekend.

check out eatsleepdrinkgolf - one of the sponsors of the site. He can set you up
Maybe from Bytown, not from The 6ix!

We did a northern Alabama-run, Thursday to Sunday (played 4 rounds) in mid-November! (with stops in Nashville & Cincinnati on the way back)

To the OP, I would aim to play in NC.....perhaps Tot Hill Farms (south of Greensboro) or The Neuse (southeast of Raleigh) are 2 of my faves
__________________
"It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under"--Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Jeffc
Tour Pro
 
Jeffc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 16, 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 12,929
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shooter View Post
Maybe from Bytown, not from The 6ix!

We did a northern Alabama-run, Thursday to Sunday (played 4 rounds) in mid-November! (with stops in Nashville & Cincinnati on the way back)

To the OP, I would aim to play in NC.....perhaps Tot Hill Farms (south of Greensboro) or The Neuse (southeast of Raleigh) are 2 of my faves
that's why they invented planes

not much further and not a drive I'd want to do for a weekend. But that's just me.
__________________
MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!
Jeffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 01:12 PM   #5
kich
Tour Pro
 
Join Date: Jun 12, 2010
Location: scarborough
Posts: 3,098
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

You do realise its about 15 hrs to get there?
kich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:23 PM   #6
crunch27
Tour Pro
 
crunch27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: St. Thomas
Posts: 2,959
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Plan a trip to Pinehurst, Raleigh is only an hour away. Best trip my son and I had was a few days in February with 3 rounds in Pinehurst, 1 round at Tobacco Road of course and then a game at Raleigh to see our buddy, Joe Thornton with the Bruins then, but the highlight was the last NASCAR race at The Rock (Rockingham). What a great track. You can plan a fairly cheap trip to Pinehurst with some quality courses. Definitely include Tobacco Road. The Legacy is good, as is Beacon Ridge and Seven Lakes and Southern Pines. Not much night life in Pinehurst, but the city of Southern Pines is close by. Have dinner and a couple Guinness at Dugans Pub in Pinehurst.
__________________
Ping Rapture 7.5* Driver, Aldila VS 65-S
Ping Rapture 17* 5 Wood, Aldila VS 85-S
Ping Rapture 21* & 24* Hybrids, Aldila VS 80-S
Ping S56 Irons, 5 to PW, KBS-S
Ping Glide, 52/12*, 56/13*, 60/12*, CFS-Wedge
Ping 36" Nome 355 Putter, Super Stroke 2.0
Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 04:29 AM   #7
Big Shooter
Tour Pro
 
Big Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 3, 2005
Location: South Central North York!
Posts: 30,332
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch27 View Post
highlight was the last NASCAR race at The Rock (Rockingham). What a great track.
Agreed, I did that back in 1993. My first "live" NASCAR experience . It was WILD!
__________________
"It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under"--Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:29 AM   #8
parskiandhutch
Tour Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 15, 2012
Posts: 1,617
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

If you're driving for a weekend, then from a time spent in car point of view I think NC is the better option since it's closer. You should look at flying out of Niagara Falls NY (Spirit or Air Allegiant)
parskiandhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 07:29 AM   #9
brady93
Duffer
 
Join Date: Aug 1, 2010
Location: GTA
Posts: 10
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Im 22 years old and trying to have a budget lol.... we were thinking like a Thursday-Monday kinda weekend.. the drive should be manageable.
brady93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 07:32 AM   #10
brady93
Duffer
 
Join Date: Aug 1, 2010
Location: GTA
Posts: 10
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

That all sounds awesome... Ill definitely check out those courses. Not a huge NASCAR fan, but the 4 rounds of golf and then see the Leafs play would be unreal... and of course the pints.

Any recommendations for accommodations?
brady93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 07:37 AM   #11
AverageJoe
Tour Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 12, 2009
Posts: 1,874
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady93 View Post
Im 22 years old and trying to have a budget lol.... we were thinking like a Thursday-Monday kinda weekend.. the drive should be manageable.
You always HAVE a budget, you just don't always stick to it

Take the first day and drive to Winston Salem. It's 10 hours and you are there.

Golf at Tanglewood Park, Tot Hill Farm, Oak Hollow (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) in whatever order you want.

10 hours home Monday.

Courses are really good and really cheap.

If you want extra courses to play in the area also try Oak Valley and Meadowlands.

Again, all these courses are cheap but comparable if not better in many instances to a $100 course here in the GTA.
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 08:42 AM   #12
ace in the hazard
Tour Pro
 
ace in the hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 31, 2010
Location: Downtown
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
You always HAVE a budget, you just don't always stick to it

Take the first day and drive to Winston Salem. It's 10 hours and you are there.

Golf at Tanglewood Park, Tot Hill Farm, Oak Hollow (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) in whatever order you want.

10 hours home Monday.

Courses are really good and really cheap.

If you want extra courses to play in the area also try Oak Valley and Meadowlands.

Again, all these courses are cheap but comparable if not better in many instances to a $100 course here in the GTA.
You've peaked my interest and I was just thinking of shooting south for a quick trip to tide me over until spring. I'd fly into Charlotte (I can get direct points flights there for cheap) and then rent a car to drive. Where would you recommend staying? In Winston/Salem?

Tx
__________________
What's in the TMX Stand Bag?

10.5 SLDR w Diamana Flowerband X-flex
SLDR 15* 3W
TM Rescue 17*
SLDR 5H
TM M2 4-PW
CG15 52/60
Rossa Monza Corza
ace in the hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 08:58 AM   #13
AverageJoe
Tour Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 12, 2009
Posts: 1,874
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace in the hazard View Post
Where would you recommend staying? In Winston/Salem?

Tx
Hey Ace,

If flying into Charlotte, you have other options in terms of areas (i.e. Pinehurst) but there are also other courses along the way to and from your eventual destination. Actually, you can do a loop coming up from Pinehurst to Raleigh then across to Winston Salem and back to Charlotte and that offers a crazy amount of really good golf courses to choose from. It all depends on how much driving you do and don't want to do.

But if you are going to Winston Salem, I'd stay around Hanes Mall which is 10 minutes from Tanglewood Park and Oak Valley. I always stay in the Fairfield Inn or Springhill Suites which are both very good and usually never more than $100 p/n (I collect Marriot rewards too ). It's a good area, with a good mall, lots of places to eat and easy access to the highway.

You will need to drive a little bit to some of the other courses (mostly within 20-25 minutes other than Tot Hill which is about 45) and the value cannot be beat.
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 09:08 AM   #14
Weirfan
Tour Pro
 
Weirfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 9, 2005
Posts: 17,952
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady93 View Post
Im 22 years old and trying to have a budget lol.... we were thinking like a Thursday-Monday kinda weekend.. the drive should be manageable.
Toronto - Raleigh is on average about 12 hours, I've done it in 11with good weather and avoiding traffic in the DC area.

with two young guys sharing the driving ( and napping) you can leave Wed night ( just plan so you avoid the DC area morning rush) and get there to play golf Thursday morning and probably get 36 in if not too tired. another 36 Friday, 18 before you go to game 18 Sunday and be home late Sunday night. 6 rounds.



In March the weather will be good enough to play most places on the way down and there are lots of good courses that you could play. I would recommend stopping in the Kingsmill Virginia area on your way ( about 9.5/10 hrs)

March can be busier in the Carolinas so you might want to book in advance also motels that along the 95 can be busy.

Enjoy !
__________________
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "
Weirfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 02:36 PM   #15
crunch27
Tour Pro
 
crunch27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: St. Thomas
Posts: 2,959
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady93 View Post
That all sounds awesome... Ill definitely check out those courses. Not a huge NASCAR fan, but the 4 rounds of golf and then see the Leafs play would be unreal... and of course the pints.

Any recommendations for accommodations?
Check with the girls at Tobacco Road Golf and Travel and they could put a package together for you. Or the folks over at Talamore Resort.
__________________
Ping Rapture 7.5* Driver, Aldila VS 65-S
Ping Rapture 17* 5 Wood, Aldila VS 85-S
Ping Rapture 21* & 24* Hybrids, Aldila VS 80-S
Ping S56 Irons, 5 to PW, KBS-S
Ping Glide, 52/12*, 56/13*, 60/12*, CFS-Wedge
Ping 36" Nome 355 Putter, Super Stroke 2.0
Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2017, 05:12 PM   #16
ace in the hazard
Tour Pro
 
ace in the hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 31, 2010
Location: Downtown
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Hey Ace,

If flying into Charlotte, you have other options in terms of areas (i.e. Pinehurst) but there are also other courses along the way to and from your eventual destination. Actually, you can do a loop coming up from Pinehurst to Raleigh then across to Winston Salem and back to Charlotte and that offers a crazy amount of really good golf courses to choose from. It all depends on how much driving you do and don't want to do.

But if you are going to Winston Salem, I'd stay around Hanes Mall which is 10 minutes from Tanglewood Park and Oak Valley. I always stay in the Fairfield Inn or Springhill Suites which are both very good and usually never more than $100 p/n (I collect Marriot rewards too ). It's a good area, with a good mall, lots of places to eat and easy access to the highway.

You will need to drive a little bit to some of the other courses (mostly within 20-25 minutes other than Tot Hill which is about 45) and the value cannot be beat.
Great info tx.
__________________
What's in the TMX Stand Bag?

10.5 SLDR w Diamana Flowerband X-flex
SLDR 15* 3W
TM Rescue 17*
SLDR 5H
TM M2 4-PW
CG15 52/60
Rossa Monza Corza
ace in the hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 03:37 AM   #17
bcampb00
Scratch Golfer
 
bcampb00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 6, 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 479
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirfan View Post
Toronto - Raleigh is on average about 12 hours, I've done it in 11with good weather and avoiding traffic in the DC area.

with two young guys sharing the driving ( and napping) you can leave Wed night ( just plan so you avoid the DC area morning rush) and get there to play golf Thursday morning and probably get 36 in if not too tired. another 36 Friday, 18 before you go to game 18 Sunday and be home late Sunday night. 6 rounds.



In March the weather will be good enough to play most places on the way down and there are lots of good courses that you could play. I would recommend stopping in the Kingsmill Virginia area on your way ( about 9.5/10 hrs)

March can be busier in the Carolinas so you might want to book in advance also motels that along the 95 can be busy.

Enjoy !
F
Another option from Charlotte is to drive 3 hours tomKiawah. Great deals til end of month

http://www.kiawahresort.com/golf-or-gourmet-escape
bcampb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 05:11 AM   #18
Big Shooter
Tour Pro
 
Big Shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 3, 2005
Location: South Central North York!
Posts: 30,332
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcampb00 View Post
F
Another option from Charlotte is to drive 3 hours tomKiawah. Great deals til end of month

http://www.kiawahresort.com/golf-or-gourmet-escape

...and the Florida border is just another 3 hours past that!
__________________
"It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under"--Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
Big Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 06:00 AM   #19
wrigley
Tour Pro
 
wrigley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 9, 2005
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 1,108
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcampb00 View Post
F
Another option from Charlotte is to drive 3 hours tomKiawah. Great deals til end of month

http://www.kiawahresort.com/golf-or-gourmet-escape
OP said he is on a budget, Kiawah Resort would blow your budget big time!
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 06:15 AM   #20
crunch27
Tour Pro
 
crunch27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 18, 2006
Location: St. Thomas
Posts: 2,959
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

On a budget.....3 rounds/2 nights for $194 on Tobacco Road Golf and Travel. Courses are Tobacco Road, great and The Legacy and Seven Lakes, both good.
__________________
Ping Rapture 7.5* Driver, Aldila VS 65-S
Ping Rapture 17* 5 Wood, Aldila VS 85-S
Ping Rapture 21* & 24* Hybrids, Aldila VS 80-S
Ping S56 Irons, 5 to PW, KBS-S
Ping Glide, 52/12*, 56/13*, 60/12*, CFS-Wedge
Ping 36" Nome 355 Putter, Super Stroke 2.0
Ping "Latitude" Carry Bag
Nikon Laser 500G Rangefinder
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2017, 06:21 AM   #21
Leftygolfer30
Toronto Ryder Cup Member
 
Leftygolfer30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 25, 2006
Location: Whitby
Posts: 16,761
Default Re: North or South Caroline Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch27 View Post
On a budget.....3 rounds/2 nights for $194 on Tobacco Road Golf and Travel. Courses are Tobacco Road, great and The Legacy and Seven Lakes, both good.
Excellent deal.
__________________


WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
TM SLDR 10.5*
TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
TM Rescue 22*
4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
Ping Ketch
Ball: What's on sale?
Leftygolfer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carolina, vacation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Terms of Service / Privacy