Handicapping Rule Change

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Handicapping Rule Change

Originally posted by rulie View Post
    I was referring to the GAO/Golf Canada public player members, not public golf clubs.
    Ah. Sorry.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
    TM SLDR 10.5*
    TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
    TM Rescue 22*
    4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
    Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
    Ping Ketch
    Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Public players are assigned to a "club" and that club is required to have a handicap committee.
      I have no idea how that would actually work.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
        I have no idea how that would actually work.

Comment

Thanks. I am familiar with being able to post scores.

I should have been more specific in my comment by referring to peer review. How does that work?

Comment

I had an unusual round yesterday. Showed up early and usually there are a few guys that play together early (after frost). However, yesterday there was just me so I decided to go out and play myself. Nobody around to hold up so I thought I would play the back tees - which I do a couple of times a year when I need to be humbled.

Strangely, I became quite comfortable at the long tees and played quite well. Probably helps that I have been practicing a few swing changes lately. I think I just concentrated on every shot cause the course is quite difficult from the back tees (7050 yards, rating 74 ish, slope 149). Anyway, shot one of my best scores in a while (80) which based on my 10 ish handicap is one of my better recent scores.

I feel slightly guilty that I couldnt enter this score on my handicap because I was playing alone. Granted one score doesnt mean much but two or three like this could meaningfully distort my handicap and players would suspect I was a sandbagger.

Still don't like the Golf Canada decision to exclude solo rounds...

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
              Thanks. I am familiar with being able to post scores.

I should have been more specific in my comment by referring to peer review. How does that work?
              I guess Rulie did not understand question given that it is over six months now,
              or, wait, maybe he is just baffled by it.
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Shadow wrote: " ... hypothetically, when a public player checks in ... it is noted in [the] system that [he] has registered for a round .... Then, if a score is not entered ... the system automatically records a differential ...."
                I agree that that would be a good system, but it is presently just hypothetical, as Shadow notes.

Rulie wrote that "Public players are assigned to a "club" and that club is required to have a handicap committee" but I believe that that's not correct.

Comment

Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post
                  I had an unusual round yesterday. Showed up early and usually there are a few guys that play together early (after frost). However, yesterday there was just me so I decided to go out and play myself. Nobody around to hold up so I thought I would play the back tees - which I do a couple of times a year when I need to be humbled.

Strangely, I became quite comfortable at the long tees and played quite well. Probably helps that I have been practicing a few swing changes lately. I think I just concentrated on every shot cause the course is quite difficult from the back tees (7050 yards, rating 74 ish, slope 149). Anyway, shot one of my best scores in a while (80) which based on my 10 ish handicap is one of my better recent scores.

I feel slightly guilty that I couldnt enter this score on my handicap because I was playing alone. Granted one score doesnt mean much but two or three like this could meaningfully distort my handicap and players would suspect I was a sandbagger.

Still don't like the Golf Canada decision to exclude solo rounds...
                  You shouldn't feel guilty as you are abiding by the rules as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                    I guess Rulie did not understand question given that it is over six months now,
                    or, wait, maybe he is just baffled by it.
                    Maybe you should show some initiative and look it up instead of just asking questions here and expecting others to tell you. You will learn more by finding answers for yourself.

Comment

Maybe you should show some initiative and look it up instead of just asking questions here and expecting others to tell you. You will learn more by finding answers for yourself.
                      Do a double take, I was not asking any question so nothing to look up.
                      Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

That's correct. Golfers must abide by this solo round prohibition, notwithstanding the cynicism that underlies it.

Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post
                        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by QuentinJJ View Post
                          Well, I did say "slightly" guilty. Brings to mind an annoying quirk to the new system though. Imagine a golfer is going through a rough patch in his or her game. Takes a few weeks off, sees an instructor and implements a few swing changes. Practices extensively, then implements them under game conditions in a series of solo rounds. Changes take effect and golfers confidence soars. Enter tournament with an inflated cap. Win prizes. Irritate fc's. Have fc's complain on ton about sandbaggers shooting net 59. All legal?

Comment

Well, I did say "slightly" guilty. Brings to mind an annoying quirk to the new system though. Imagine a golfer is going through a rough patch in his or her game. Takes a few weeks off, sees an instructor and implements a few swing changes. Practices extensively, then implements them under game conditions in a series of solo rounds. Changes take effect and golfers confidence soars. Enter tournament with an inflated cap. Win prizes. Irritate fc's. Have fc's complain on ton about sandbaggers shooting net 59. All legal?
                            Or what if the golfer did all you say yet didn't play any solo rounds just practiced and took lessons to improve for 2-3 weeks is it still sandbagging ?

Or the player who never warms up before he plays rounds but before playing in competitive events does a full warm up including, chipping, putting and bunker practice ?

The rounds when away and maybe a few drinks are consumed?
                            The rounds played while injured?

These all can lead to differentials in scoring that impact handicaps. Hard to control every variable that influences scoring especially when a golfer doesn't play many rounds.

Some tournies I have played in , like the Wyndance member guest that has large sums of money at stake, will penalize golfers based on criteria like:
                            Number of tournament scores entered
                            Number of scores entered
                            Date of last score entered
                            Etc
                            Last edited by Weirfan; Oct 28, 2016, 03:29 PM.
                            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

You are only guilty if you deliberately manipulate the system. You didn't plan on playing alone, or having one of your best rounds of the season from the back tees!

Comment

I've been invited to a member/guest and I don't belong to GAO and therefore don't have a legit 'cap.

I recalled this thread, and it went through a number of turns, so I just want to understand what my options are.

I play 50% solo rounds. Am I right in thinking those cannot be entered?

I play 25% "cottage" rounds with wife, family and once-a-year hackers.

I play 25% with friends who are decent regular(ish) golfers. 2 have dropped their club memberships in the past couple of years, and the rest have always been public golfers. Only 2 friends remain members of clubs. Am I correct in reading that only GAO/club members can attest rounds now?

I have no problem joining GAO, but I'm not sure it's going to actually solve the problem.

Any advice?
                                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                                ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X