Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Club Fitting
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Jan 14, 2017, 06:03 AM   #76
ManFromMoffat
Tour Pro

Default Re: Driver Fitting Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Good article but as Tour IQ mentionned it should have done with graphite shafts. There is very little wobble if any in most steel shafts

Exactly

Agreed. Iron Byron testing would be best. I read somewhere that SST had purchased an IRON Byron for testing. Fact remains though. I would not play with an unbalanced golf ball nor with a club that behaves like this:

Agree re: Iron Byron. Human testing doesn't make sense, unless n = a large number.

Reading on this thread and at http://tutelman.com/golf/index.php and after watching your video and ones like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrGk45slao, it strikes me that FLOing is the way to go and that this is a very inexpensive way to do it (PDF): http://www.golfmechanix.com/prod_detail.asp?p=030405.

Taking it further, your video demonstrates things so vividly that I don't even think a laser is required. One could just use a slotted plane made out of foam that one would want to see the shaft oscillate within.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 07:24 AM   #77
bl8d
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
Agree re: Iron Byron. Human testing doesn't make sense, unless n = a large number.

Reading on this thread and at http://tutelman.com/golf/index.php and after watching your video and ones like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrGk45slao, it strikes me that FLOing is the way to go and that this is a very inexpensive way to do it (PDF): http://www.golfmechanix.com/prod_detail.asp?p=030405.

Taking it further, your video demonstrates things so vividly that I don't even think a laser is required. One could just use a slotted plane made out of foam that one would want to see the shaft oscillate within.
yes, FLO is the way.
FLO is easily tested on site on any wood you are considering purchasing.

with both hands hold down only the grip and let the rest of the club hang over the edge of a table, with the clubface parallel to the ceiling.
Raise the front of the grip off the table and lightly slam it down to start the shaft oscillation.

I suggest you try this on all the woods you have at home to see where you stand now.

Exotics 10.5 Aldila NV65S
Exotics 15 CB2 Aldila NV65S
Exotics 18 Fujikura 68S
TM 300 forged- PX flighted
TM Tour 55. 59 -S90
Cal i-Trax
bl8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2017, 09:30 AM   #78
ManFromMoffat
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl8d View Post
yes, FLO is the way.
FLO is easily tested on site on any wood you are considering purchasing.

with both hands hold down only the grip and let the rest of the club hang over the edge of a table, with the clubface parallel to the ceiling.
Raise the front of the grip off the table and lightly slam it down to start the shaft oscillation.

I suggest you try this on all the woods you have at home to see where you stand now.
Thanks, I will try. I'll also see if I can clamp ~ 6" into a Workmate (and hold the Workmate down) and see if that works.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 03:16 AM   #79
Tintin
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManFromMoffat View Post

Taking it further, your video demonstrates things so vividly that I don't even think a laser is required..
You're right. They all are nice little toys but not necessary. You can use the actual club. If you feel the need to use a laser pointer you can get one from the dollar store and just use it with scotch tape or a rubber band and attach it to the back of the hosel. Only problem imho with the FLO method is that it does not give you the hard and soft planes. There 2 FLO planes 90* from each other. Unless you have a way to measure both FLOs you will not know how to align the softest plane(NBP) to the target(preferred method)
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2017, 04:13 AM   #80
TourIQ
Tour Pro

Laser Holder for FLO:
Glue (epoxy) 2 wooden cloths pins together back to back and up and down (opposing).
One end on the tip of the shaft, one end to hold the laser - now set to find FLO.
TourIQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2017, 03:25 PM   #81
danscustomgolfshop
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
You're right. They all are nice little toys but not necessary. You can use the actual club. If you feel the need to use a laser pointer you can get one from the dollar store and just use it with scotch tape or a rubber band and attach it to the back of the hosel. Only problem imho with the FLO method is that it does not give you the hard and soft planes. There 2 FLO planes 90* from each other. Unless you have a way to measure both FLOs you will not know how to align the softest plane(NBP) to the target(preferred method)
Yes, this is the advantage of having a frequency machine. I too do use FLO as my final alignment. I know there is a lack of, or limited amount of proof positive that this does help, but it just seems to me to be so logical that avoiding it (not performing FLO) - for the little time it takes - would be a bad judgement.

When you freq and FLO as many shafts as I do, you see an awful lot of strange and undesirable oscillations - with very random patterns. As a set this randomness has to play into producing less on center hits.

Dan's Custom Golf Shop
True Length Technology TM
Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
True Frequency Technology TM
- Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
- Master
Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
- Advanced / Professional
Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
- Class 'A'

Phone : 905-263-8510