Winter Weight Loss

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Winter Weight Loss

Originally posted by petvan View Post
    Honestly think refined sugar is the big thing to avoid if you can. Nasty on the insulin response and I believe highly addictive.

Yep, unfortunately food is big business.

I want to read the book in the link, heard the author on the radio and it was quite interesting.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
    Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
    Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
    Ping G400 4H - 22*
    Ping G400 5 - UW
    Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
    Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
    Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
    Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Honestly think refined sugar is the big thing to avoid if you can. Nasty on the insulin response and I believe highly addictive.
      Why? Because it is refined/processed? I think it would be more accurate to say that avoiding EXCESS sugar is a good idea. Refined sugar makes that extremely difficult to do.

As for addiction, it is probably as addictive as any other foods that give you pleasure when you eat them. I have a problem with peppers developing
      Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
        Two questions:

1 - Why?

2 - What is considered processed to you?
        1. To avoid diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, inflammation and all the other disorders caused by it..

2. Food made with any combination of sugar, wheat, soy, canola, corn and things that clearly aren't food.
        TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
        TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
        TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
        Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
        Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
        100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Why? Because it is refined/processed? I think it would be more accurate to say that avoiding EXCESS sugar is a good idea. Refined sugar makes that extremely difficult to do.

As for addiction, it is probably as addictive as any other foods that give you pleasure when you eat them. I have a problem with peppers developing
          I figured it out, you work for Redpath.

Comment

Originally posted by 51Phantom View Post
            I figured it out, you work for Redpath.
            Actually, the confusion you were trying to "figure out" was your own brainwashing.

Refining sugar doesn't somehow make it toxic. That is asinine.

Do you guys believe that refined salt is toxic? If you do, you need to seek a psychiatrist to wipe out the brainwashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
              1. To avoid diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer's, inflammation and all the other disorders caused by it..
              That is f'n ridiculous LOL!! You have proof of all this?

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
              2. Food made with any combination of sugar, wheat, soy, canola, corn and things that clearly aren't food.
              So you mean FOOD then

I think I'll stick to my dogma rather that your asinine version. Below is a reminder

Comment

Actually, the confusion you were trying to "figure out" was your own brainwashing.

Do you guys believe that refined salt is toxic? If you do, you need to seek a psychiatrist to wipe out the brainwashing.
                yes I am brainwashed.
                I never mentioned anything about salt. The idea that salt is causing high BP and Heart problems has been debunked for the most part as well, but circling back to sugar and processed food as the cause. There is plenty of legitimate studies that are showing the effects of sugar and processed foods have. The sugar lobby (yes there is such a thing) has been fighting it for years.
                Last edited by 51Phantom; Oct 27, 2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I only mentioned the refined variety as it is typically far more concentrated. You have to eat a lot of fruit to ingest mega sugar related calories, but not so much spoons of refined sugar.

Just an easier way to consume high dosages of something that is very caloric.

Also do believe you body will adjust to the dosages and tune itself to expect those doses to continue and drive a craving which perpetuates more consumption, but I'm no Dr. ;-)

P

Comment

I only mentioned the refined variety as it is typically far more concentrated. You have to eat a lot of fruit to ingest mega sugar related calories, but not so much spoons of refined sugar.

Just an easier way to consume high dosages of something that is very caloric. P
                    100% agree with that explanation. Excess is the problem and not toxicity as some suggest.

Comment

How's everyone's winter program coming along? After a Christmas season (plus a few weeks) of serious overeating, I started back at the gym in the last week of January with a program called StrongLifts 5x5. My main goal was to get functionally stronger to make my day-to-day routines easier to manage. My two small kids require a lot of bending and lifting, plus my son has all of his equipment like wheelchairs, walkers, standers, etc. These range from about 35-60lbs and need to be lifted on a regular basis. Since I hit my mid 40's I noticed a dramatic decrease in my all around strength, making everything so much tougher.

Now 8 weeks into a 12 week commitment (may go longer) and the results have been fantastic. It uses 5 basic compound lifts with an alternating Workout A and Workout B. If you complete all sets and reps, you add 5lbs to each of the weights next time. It starts with easy weights so you can focus on solid form. You work out every second day, which is necessary once you start to hit the heavier weights. If you miss any lifts you dial it back a bit and work back up. So far I haven't missed any but I see it coming in the next week or two.

Lots of people do this program to put on weight and muscle, so they tend to do it along with a high calorie diet to help maximize strength gains. I'm trying to lose weight so eating low calorie, but fully realize this will probably cap my gains a bit. I didn't change my diet until mid-Feb and so far have dropped 10lbs. The changes to my body have been pretty dramatic - much slimmer and stronger overall.

The program is a free app which is very easy to use and makes for a nice concise plan when I walk into the gym. BTW if you don't like doing back squats then this program is definitely not for you!
                      We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                      Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                      Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                      Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                      Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                      Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                      Srixon Star XV
                      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

well, I've not lost any weight, nor have I gained any. The good news is I have put on more muscle and lost some fat. Been doing weights 4-5x a week and cardio about the same with a good mix of running, biking, skating and cross country skiing. Feel great which is the most important thing but would really like to shed 10 pounds of fat. Eating has been pretty good since new years but work travel is taking it's toll.
                        MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

No meaningful weight loss yet. I was down 5+ last week but it came back over the weekend. Could just be a bit of bloat though.

But I am doing lots of workouts.

Bike Trainer 5 - 7 times per week.

Push-ups - Almost daily - Up to 3 x 15 reps now.

Usually try to throw in an Abs set post-bike workout too.

Gym with my PT once a week for an hour (plus I warm up 30 min on a bike)

Hockey 3 x per week though that will be down to 1 after Thursday as 1 team eliminated in playoffs last night and same expected for team 2 on Thurs. The other hockey is a year round shinny so that stays.

While I have not lost weight I can see changes. My shoulders are getting bigger and more defined. For me the mark that I am making progress is that I can do 45 full push-ups! I used to suck at them so I avoided them. Now I want to do them. My PT has noticed a difference since I started the push-ups too. I'm lifting a lot more weight when I am with him.

So presumably I have lost some fat. I have been pretty careful with the diet but still need to tune it up a bit more.

Comment

Just started being able to get back at it in the gym lately. I still feel leery about doing and leg work for fear of loading my spine...never wish to go through what I went through last year again. I find that when I'm working out regularly, it's way easier to eat well too. Diet is 99% of it IMO.

Comment

I too have been pretty steady with my weight. I lost roughly 20lbs almost 16 months ago and have managed to keep it off. I do bing once in a blue and have no problem tacking on 5+lbs over a weekend, but I manage to drop it again.

Because my work schedule is all over the map, my gym workouts vary. Sometimes I can manage 3-4 times a week, other weeks I barely get there twice.

For those in the know..would a push/pull routine benefit a busy schedule?

I haven't even heard of a push/pull routine, til a guy a work mentioned it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                                Push-ups - Almost daily - Up to 3 x 15 reps now.
                                Ask your trainer but I wouldn't recommend doing any single focused exercise daily once you start hitting 3 x 10 successfully. Your muscles need time to rest and rebuild. I would switch this to alternating with your ab workouts every other day. Despite the lower frequency, don't be surprised if you gain strength and endurance faster.

I do 200-250 "Perfect" push-ups (remember those things advertised on TV that spin as you raise and lower) about once a week with 3 days before and after chest weights in the gym. Any sooner than that and I am too sore.

What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                                TM Rescue 17*
                                TM M2 4-AW
                                TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                                Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse