Collapse

Toe Droop?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toe Droop?

I like to play my clubs so I can feel the clubhead. If I'm building a hybrid, to say 38 inches, with a softer tipped shaft (like a Wishon GI335 R or an SK Fiber TT80)...Is it possible to estimate how much toe droop will I encounter? 1* ???

Re: Toe Droop?

Originally posted by TORAIDER
    I like to play my clubs so I can feel the clubhead. If I'm building a hybrid, to say 38 inches, with a softer tipped shaft (like a Wishon GI335 R or an SK Fiber TT80)...Is it possible to estimate how much toe droop will I encounter? 1* ???
    Al,

I am no expert on this subject but here is my take on toe droop

one of the reason that you do a dynamic fitting with clubs and dont just have the person stand statically and fit the lie angle is due to toe droop that occurs in the swing.

I would have to say that the amount of toe droop cannot specifically as you ask but should be minimal ......

the longer the club the more potential for toe droop...some companies account for this in the std lies they make the irons but as we know there is alot more to it.

you also need to consider the clubhead design, the swing( speed and release point) and the shaft.

a longer ( heel toe) clubhead will have the C of G further away from the shaft axis in that plane...the further away it is the more toe droop.

an aggressive swing and more specifically a hard hitting mid to late release of the wrists in the down swing the more inpact that physics will have on the shaft bend and more toe droop.

as for the shaft....we have discussed longer but the tip stiffness also impacts toe droop amd forward bending of the shaft in the golf swing.

wood shafts have a smaller tip diamater so less material so almost always softer tipped than an iron shaft.

all said and done due to the nature of the golf swing I believe that the amount of toe droop will anyways be less than the the amount of forward bend of a shaft which averages say about 1.8* or so for a wood shaft depending on a host of factors

The GI 335 is a 335 tipped shaft but designed by Wishon to with stand the weight and rigors of a hybrid head ......I use the stiff without any problems in my hybrids and you have seen my woodchopper swing.

the TT80 comes in a wood shaft ( .335) and an iron shaft ( .370)

I do not recommend using wood shafts in hybrids,,,,,they are not designed for them and wont generally be effective.

the .370 TT80 shaft in a .370 hybrid head would be a far better choice than using theor wood shaft

so...if I were to try and quantify the toe droop for your swing I would definitely say under 1* so insignificant

also keep in mind that woods and hybrids are designed differently .....sole design and leading edge to not dig...and unlike irons are not blade like so do not have the same tendency to dig or catch and as a result

hope that helps

P
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I look at my irons and they appear a little upright at address but when I hit them on a lie board the lie angle is just right.
      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
      Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
      Ping G400 4H - 22*
      Ping G400 5 - UW
      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan
        Al,

the .370 TT80 shaft in a .370 hybrid head would be a far better choice than using theor wood shaft

so...if I were to try and quantify the toe droop for your swing I would definitely say under 1* so insignificant

also keep in mind that woods and hybrids are designed differently .....sole design and leading edge to not dig...and unlike irons are not blade like so do not have the same tendency to dig or catch and as a result

P
        Al,

I concure with Peter. Stay away from the .335 HB shafts. With your current swing, I cannot see you getting that much top droop right now. But if we can get you more confident in your game, that may change. Your swing is getting really solid now. Just need to get you a little more agressive with your move. Increase the club head speed a bit more.

Jeff
        WITB:

Stage 2 Tour / Accra CB 55 M4
        Stage 2 Tour 16.5 / Accra Tour Z LS 65 M4
        Adams A12 Tour 3,4 / Accra Dymatch RT S3 M4
        Miura 501 CB / Accra Hybrex M4
        Titleist TVD Wedgeworks
        Scotty Cameron Tour Rat
        Scotty Cameron Knuckelhead
        Ball: Lethal

Comment

I want to toss this in for consideration.
          I have questioned toe droop for many years or at least what the definition is? I have had discussions with many great builders (including Tom Wishon) about toe droop.

First a bit of history
          Some past clubmakers have questioned the shaft orientation, and if 1 position vrs. another will change the amount of toe droop.
          Many felt that with drivers - put the strong spine at 12 to keep the head from drooping - great theory, but what happens when you swing this 45 inch stick?
          The answer is - the center of gravity inside the head will align with the shaft axis up near the hands. This is why a driver at contact is bent down and forward. The COG is aligning itself due to the centrifical force of the swing. It does not go past this point nor fall short of it. It does align.
          So does shaft orientation aid in toe droop - no - The COG will simply get in line. This is why when you look at a driver in a static address position - the toe is well up. Swing it and it flattens but only to the point of COG alignment.

Hybrids have the same theory (as do irons). Should the toe be up as high as the driver in static - no, but it will still need to be 3 -5 degrees up, where irons are 2 - 3 degrees up (at static). Why, because the COG of hybrids and irons are no where near as far back and away as a driver. When you swing a hybrid and an iron - they too will flatten, but only until the COG is in line.

So Al, 1 degree is not correct - more like 3-5 depending on the design of the head. If it is a hybrid with a very long face it will droop more. The COG will align if you use a .335 and it will align if you use a .370
          The only varience is if you cannot load the shaft (way too stiff) This is the only thing that will not allow alignment.
          Regards
          Dan

True Length Technology TM
          Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
          True Frequency Technology TM
          - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
          - Master
          Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
          - Advanced / Professional
          Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
          - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by swaaain
            Al,

I concure with Peter. Stay away from the .335 HB shafts. With your current swing, I cannot see you getting that much top droop right now. But if we can get you more confident in your game, that may change. Your swing is getting really solid now. Just need to get you a little more agressive with your move. Increase the club head speed a bit more.

Jeff
            Jeff, for hybrids do you think a head design with 335 or 370 tip diameter is better and why
            From your experience, can you elorable on what happens to both distance and accuracy?
            Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
            Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
            Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Harry, I'll take a shot at this, although there is some defence for the .335
              Many builders do use the .335 shaft to get more tip action - hence - allowing the potential for higher ball flight, greater spin - which is a game improvement feature. The softer tip will allow the ball to get up quicker.

Personally, the hybrids I have liked were all .370 tip - My thought being I am replacing an iron and still look at a hybrid as an iron replacement, so feel and length pushed me to this.

Would I like the softer tip, as this truly is a transition club?
              Perhaps, but common feel is very important to me.

Currently I have removed all hybrids from my bag as they all tend to be draw / hook machines to me. A softer tip would even be more discouraging. Why do I hook them? - because almost all hybrids are designed too toe up for my liking. Many are designed around a 60 degree lie, but are replacing a 56 and 57 degree lie club. - causing the hook if built to the club replacement length.

Are hybrids as popular as when they first came out? Not for me. I'm back to playing a 4 iron then a 7 wood

Originally posted by TourIQ
              Jeff, for hybrids do you think a head design with 335 or 370 tip diameter is better and why
              From your experience, can you elorable on what happens to both distance and accuracy?
              Regards
              Dan

True Length Technology TM
              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
              True Frequency Technology TM
              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
              - Master
              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
              - Advanced / Professional
              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
              - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop
                Many are designed around a 60 degree lie, but are replacing a 56 and 57 degree lie club. - causing the hook if built to the club replacement length.
                The Wishon 585HI mix well with the 560s Dan, they are able to adjust the lie angle....as are the new Wishon 331H hybrid. Both are worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop
                  Harry, I'll take a shot at this, although there is some defence for the .335
                  Many builders do use the .335 shaft to get more tip action - hence - allowing the potential for higher ball flight, greater spin - which is a game improvement feature. The softer tip will allow the ball to get up quicker.
                  Personally, the hybrids I have liked were all .370 tip - My thought being I am replacing an iron and still look at a hybrid as an iron replacement, so feel and length pushed me to this. Would I like the softer tip, as this truly is a transition club?
                  Yes Dan an iron replacement so I too feel more comfortable with a 370 shaft over the 335. My guess without any hard data is the 370 tip would be more stable and hence provide an extra level of accuracy over its 335 counterpart. My son 'fb' tried a Wishon 335 tip and hated it, then fell in love with the 370 Genex 3DX. The 335 would probably have a higher launch but the head is designed to 'get it up' anyway, so I do not feel the need to drop down to 335. I know the Nickent when they first come out were 370 what the boys and I play today and it was a favorite for many of the Nationwide tour guys with no endorsement money. For the more accomplished players I match the 370 hybrid shaft to their iron and wedge set, so the only variable is the head itself. Works for me
                  Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                  Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                  Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X