Winter Weight Loss

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Winter Weight Loss

Originally posted by P25 View Post
    Most definitely (by changes, I meant mainly to diet - your needs to affect change at 240lbs were different from your needs at 220lbs).
    not 100% true. the basics are that you should never drop below 1200 calories per day. if my math is correct to maintain that weight I should take in 2200 calories per day. if I want to lose the weight then I should aim for about 1800 calories per day. if I were to go back to weight training and wanted muscle build, I would increase the calory cpuntto 3500 for 2 months for a solid 10 lbs gain.

the needs might change if you exercise. your water intake shoild increase. at 220 lbs I should be drinking about a metric gallon per day to keep propely hydrated. this range fluctuates with the intensity of the workout. ive trained sseveral years with these guys and learned a ton. though I am not expert in the field I believe in what I was taught. dr bernstein is a quack with his 800calory diet and vitamin b12 injections. you could buy that freaken bottle at shoppers for less than 20 $

Comment

Originally posted by dimitrib View Post
      very true. right now I am trying to learn how to eat propely this is the key to long term success. many former bodybuilding buddies always said 70% of their success came from food, 20% comes from exercise, and 10% resting.
      My experience is weight is mostly - like 85% - controlled by calorie consumption against your BMR - ie what you burn a day. Maintain a slight 300-500 cal deficit and you will lose weight.

Exercise is more about physical fitness and body composition. Ideally you get both right, but just getting your intake right will let you drop decent pounds.

I'm a big fan of the Paleo style of eating. Hard to find calorically dense options within it, yet you can still eat well and enjoy tasty food.

P

Comment

not 100% true. the basics are that you should never drop below 1200 calories per day. if my math is correct to maintain that weight I should take in 2200 calories per day. if I want to lose the weight then I should aim for about 1800 calories per day. if I were to go back to weight training and wanted muscle build, I would increase the calory cpuntto 3500 for 2 months for a solid 10 lbs gain.
        Not much chance you can build 10lb of muscle in 2 months though probably this wansn't your pt. 1lb a month maybe 2 if you are fresh at it might be the most. You could put 10lb's on those easy enough ;-)
        Last edited by petvan; Feb 25, 2014, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
          i'm a little fed up with gps for running. i've had a garmin and used my BB with endomondo and mapmyrun.

the problem is that i do 90% of my running downtown with tall buildings around (back and forth to work) or up near my ski chalet where reception is sketchy. i'll get back from what i felt was a great run and find that the gps kept cutting in and out and my results are all messed up. i'd rather map it out ahead of time and then time it using a regular watch. i wish they worked for me, i just haven't had a lot of success
          yes, that would suck. i run in open areas so its never a problem and really helps me but the buildings would mess things up for sure. my pet peeve is when i rent rental cars,plug in my gps and its usually in a parking garage at the airport or downtown somewhere and the gps takes forever to find the satellites - i usually have to start driving somewhere in order to get it to work.
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
            Not much chance you can build 10lb of muscle in 2 months though probably this wansn't your pt. 1lb a month maybe 2 if you are fresh at it might be the most. You could put 10lb's on those easy enough ;-)
            Yep. Very easy to gain or lose weight. More difficult is to gain lean mass or lose fat.

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
              Yep. Very easy to gain or lose weight. More difficult is to gain lean mass or lose fat.
              tell me about it. i'm a classic ectomorph. playing competitive rugby in school, i was working out every day for gains. over 3 years i managed to go from 175 to 200lbs (6'3") with about 6-7% body fat. once i quit playing i went back to 3-4 workouts a week, not eating a high-protein 4000 calorie-a-day diet but keeping up my cardio with regular running, biking, ultimate frisbee etc. i dropped 25lbs of muscle in just over a year. now i have to work really hard to keep above 185.
              What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
              TM Rescue 17*
              TM M2 4-AW
              TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
              Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Ive been as high as 250lbs, now down around 220. I have completely change my nutrition, and I swear that my body just don't like being below 220. I don't look "fat", but I need to drop at least another 20, maybe 40. It's a struggle everyday.

I fantasize about food, golf, food at a golf course, etc.

I understand the nutrition thing as I am a PhD biochemist. Ive started to track my food again, and the biggest things I've learned are actually quite diametrically opposed:

1. Eating a healthy 2000 calories is a lot of food, and getting the right amount of protein for my body is like eating 200 grams of protein a day. 200 grams of protein a day is bordering on a full pound of protein per day.

2. Eating 2000 calories by going out to restaurants to eat is really freakin' easy. So easy to slam down close to 1000-1200 calories when going out for dinner.

If you're trying to lose weight, eat at home and count your intake. I have 2 months to lose some more weight, including gym training, as I don't see golf season really starting much before may this year given the stupid polar vortex spinning around our continent.

Mother nature is a $#@$#

Comment

Personally, I have never had success on a typical diet. Reducing calories just reduces your set point.

Lately, I have been doing the 5/2 fast and, while the first couple of weeks were tough it has gotten easier. Having some decent success so far. To mix it up and keep the body confused I sometimes go 4 or 6 or 7 days/2. Going to go Paleo for a few of the regular 5 day periods.

Years of serious weight training taught me ya gotta confuse that body.
                  I like big putts and I cannot lie
                  You other putters can't deny
                  That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                  You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

My experience is weight is mostly - like 85% - controlled by calorie consumption against your BMR - ie what you burn a day. Maintain a slight 300-500 cal deficit and you will lose weight.

Exercise is more about physical fitness and body composition. Ideally you get both right, but just getting your intake right will let you drop decent pounds.

I'm a big fan of the Paleo style of eating. Hard to find calorically dense options within it, yet you can still eat well and enjoy tasty food.

P

Just to clarify my comments on eating properly. yes I have removed some of the bad food items from my diet like colas and snacks (candy bars, potato chips). now as far as the food is concerned, I'm trying to relearn how to properly cook my meals and infuse taste into my food without adding a ton of seasoning. cooking healthier and making it taste great! for example, I love hamburgers. now I opt for extra lean beef from the chuck (shoulder) which is about 80-85% lean. aside from the obvious, I pick a whole wheat bun, salad instead of fries, and avoid stuff like sweat relish. now, I enjoy slow cooking the meat in the oven (when possible) and now I'm trying add various spices to add to the overall taste to the meat.

Comment

and avoid stuff like sweat relish.
                      mmmmm...sweat relish. don't know how you could give that up
                      What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
                      TM Rescue 17*
                      TM M2 4-AW
                      TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
                      Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Just to clarify my comments on eating properly. yes I have removed some of the bad food items from my diet like colas and snacks (candy bars, potato chips). now as far as the food is concerned, I'm trying to relearn how to properly cook my meals and infuse taste into my food without adding a ton of seasoning. cooking healthier and making it taste great! for example, I love hamburgers. now I opt for extra lean beef from the chuck (shoulder) which is about 80-85% lean. aside from the obvious, I pick a whole wheat bun, salad instead of fries, and avoid stuff like sweat relish. now, I enjoy slow cooking the meat in the oven (when possible) and now I'm trying add various spices to add to the overall taste to the meat.
                        go for full fat grass fed beef and dump the bun!

last night we had a couple flank steaks pretty much braised with onions, red pepper, green olives, lime and cilantro + bit of salt + pepper in a beef stock. 2-3 hour cook and meet was falling apart. very paleo, very easy to cook and bursting with flavor.

Comment

go for full fat grass fed beef and dump the bun!

last night we had a couple flank steaks pretty much braised with onions, red pepper, green olives, lime and cilantro + bit of salt + pepper in a beef stock. 2-3 hour cook and meet was falling apart. very paleo, very easy to cook and bursting with flavor.
                          That sounds very good.

It's difficult but everyone should try giving up grains for 30 days and see what happens.
                          Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
                          Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
                          Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
                          Ping G400 4H - 22*
                          Ping G400 5 - UW
                          Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                          Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                          Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                          Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

down 19lbs now, a little slower to lose these last 8 pounds due to work travel and the fact I have been doing some weight training. Goal is to lose those 8 by the end of the month, though the last two weeks I am travelling so it will be tough.
                            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Didn't like where my weight was going after the Christmas break so started using the myfitnesspal app to track intake and exercise. Since beginning of January I'm down 15 lbs and aiming to get down another 11, then I'll decide between more loss and maintenance.

Just being aware has made a huge difference for me - I'm not always eating healthy, but it is certainly helping to keep me on track so I don't follow a bad day with another bad day.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5*
                              Adams Tight Lies 16*
                              Adams Idea Pro Gold 20*, 23*
                              Adams Idea Pro Gold 5 - PW
                              Titleist Vokeys 52*, 56*, 60*
                              Odyssey 9

Garmin Approach G6

Comment

Started taking diet seriously about 5 weeks ago, current macros are 144 carb, 230 protein, 89 fat. Weight has been all over the place due to inconsistency in weighing times, water intake, etc. Anywhere from 223 to 238. BF% tested at 21.5% 2 weeks ago, looking to get to 12%. Seen some pretty impressive results just in terms of weight lifting in the past 5 weeks due to diet change, basically living off chicken, avacados, rice, eggs and whey. I was stuck at a plateau for my bench press at 225 for a while, finally powered through it and accomplished 245x5 and 275x2, good motivation to see those results. As far as physical appearance, seeing some loss in my upper body, traps becoming more defined and veins in the shoulder are becoming more visible. Abdomen is flatter and I'm feeling better. A big part of it I think is running 20m a day, 6 time a week vs my sporadic cardio i did before. I'd like to hit 1000lbs combined for my big 3 by summer, maybe a 300lb bench, 350 squat and deadlift.

+1 for MFP, really lets you visualize how good/bad some foods are for you
                                Rip it and Sip it

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X