Collapse

Chunking Irons - "Spinning Out"

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chunking Irons - "Spinning Out"

Please advise if you have any tips for this (has anyone ever had this problem?).

I'm lefthanded and 6"4 (although maybe neither is relevant).

With any iron lower than an 8, I have a huge chunking problem. It's so bad that I deliberately set myself up for approach shots with a five wood, even it means hitting being awkwardly short off the tee.

My hips/body starts to come forward ahead of my hands - such that I'm "spinning out" my body ahead of my swing. The club sort of drags behind, and chunks the ball about half the distance it should. Sometimes, it gets so bad that the ball dribbles 10 yards. In the best case, I make more solid contact and get a slice.

I was told by a low-handicapper that I'm not making a complete weight shift to my back foot on the backswing. By not shifting enough weight back, my body gets a "head start" going forward and gets way ahead of my arms leading to the chunk.

I've tried to force myself to put the weight back but I can't seem to do it.
    Any tips? Why is it so much easier to master the weight shift with a 9 iron than a 5?

Re: Chunking Irons - "Spinning Out"

try playing your ball further back in your stance
    I'm not a pro, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last night

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
    X