Ready Golf??? For Better or For Worse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ready Golf??? For Better or For Worse

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post

The image above and the guidance below come from the R&A Pace of Play Manual

“Ready golf” should not be confused with being ready to play.

The term “ready golf” has been adopted by many as a catch-all phrase for a number of actions that separately and collectively can improve pace of play. There is no official definition of the term, but examples of “ready golf” in action are:
    • Hitting a shot when safe to do so if a player farther away faces a challenging shot and is taking time to assess their options
    • Shorter hitters playing first from the tee or fairway if longer hitters have to wait
    • Hitting a tee shot if the person with the honour is delayed in being ready to play
    • Hitting a shot before helping someone to look for a lost ball
    • Putting out even if it means standing close to someone else’s line
    • Hitting a shot if a person who has just played from a greenside bunker is still farthest from the hole but is delayed due to raking the bunker
    • When a player’s ball has gone over the back of a green, any player closer to the hole but chipping from the front of the green should play while the other player is having to walk to their ball and assess their shot
    • Marking scores upon immediate arrival at the next tee, except that the first player to tee off marks their card immediately after teeing off

Of all the points raised above my favourite is
    "When not playing your shot, you should be preparing to play your shot."
    In each of the examples listed there is an explanation or excuse for the player whose turn it is to not be the person to play next. Some are iffy in my mind, but mostly they are all just common sense to which no one would object. However, the objection to what is broadly included by some in the catch-all term "ready golf" is being paired with some jackrabbit who wants to rush to every tee or shot while announcing on virtually every shot that he/she likes to play ready golf. Or goes ahead and plays while the player whose turn it is sizing up a shot well within acceptable time. My two least favorite terms in golf are "Ready Golf" and "Grow the Game". Both are constantly being used to justify abuses to the Game I grew up with and love.
    People who lose faith in golf commonly convert to Catholicism, because the rules are easier to live with.

Golf: - The Agony and the Ecstasy

Comment

Originally posted by A Man Called Papa View Post
      In each of the examples listed there is an explanation or excuse for the player whose turn it is to not be the person to play next. Some are iffy in my mind, but mostly they are all just common sense to which no one would object. However, the objection to what is broadly included by some in the catch-all term "ready golf" is being paired with some jackrabbit who wants to rush to every tee or shot while announcing on virtually every shot that he/she likes to play ready golf. Or goes ahead and plays while the player whose turn it is sizing up a shot well within acceptable time. My two least favorite terms in golf are "Ready Golf" and "Grow the Game". Both are constantly being used to justify abuses to the Game I grew up with and love.
      I get your point, and I think we're in agreement.

Under normal circumstances the guy farthest away should be ready to play and does. It's being aware of and taking advantage of abnormal situations that helps move things along.

Generally, we'll ask "should I go ahead?" just to be clear. If someone wants to take an extra minute before getting ready to hit and doesn't want to let others go first, that would result in some discussion, preferably with plenty of colour.

I'm not keen on looking up to see someone 25 yds in front of me standing over his ball while I'm in my backswing....

It all just seems so obvious to me.

I think some responses are coloured as people read things in to each others posts and see them in the most negative possible light.
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
        I get your point, and I think we're in agreement.
        It all just seems so obvious to me.
        I wish it were obvious to everyone.

First one - common sense isn't that common in that everyone has their own sense of what is right and wrong and that can often be at odds with other people. So, occasionally it's nice to state what many may see as common sense so those who think differently - aka those with no sense - can attempt to see things from another's point of view. [That's not aimed at you at all Papa - only at those who don't see how the suggestions are common sense.]

A rabbit pushing hard on pace of the can be very annoying. I agree, mostly. A tortoise looks fast to a snail; so, sometimes a person playing at a 4:30 pace can actually seem to be annoyingly fast to a group. In some - rare - circumstances playing ahead may be the only way to point out the slowness of the group, but that's hardly the point of ready golf. It's not there for some arse to walk 50 yards ahead, hit first, then stand at the edge of the green glaring at players who have the audacity to line up a putt.

I think "grow the game" is really "don't let it shrink too much" in a more alliterative and palatable fashion. It was created by companies and associations who are terrified of the post-Tiger-era correction. That said, some of the ideas brought forward under the guise of "grow the game" and "ready golf" are an attempt to adapt the game to fit in with modern trends and modern life. The game you grew up with is likely very different than the game of someone who grew up 50 years before you. Golf has survived not by its intransigence but by evolving throughout the centuries. It's no longer a game played by only the wealthy hitting gutties with mashies and niblicks. We must gaurd against sounding like the nike commercial below or grandpa Simpson.

In the bag:
        R15 12° PXV 6.0
        SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
        Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
        Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
        Vokey SM5 54, 58
        Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Next you are going to be telling me that I am just going to have to accept people wearing their hats backwards on the course.
          People who lose faith in golf commonly convert to Catholicism, because the rules are easier to live with.

Golf: - The Agony and the Ecstasy

Comment

Next you are going to be telling me that I am just going to have to accept people wearing their hats backwards on the course.
            Some courses even allow denim.

I've even heard that some courses allow women not only to play, but to join!

Ok, joking aside, there will always be some courses that don't fold to certain fashion such as not wearing a jacket and tie in the clubhouse, not wearing knee socks with shorts, and wearing a hat with the brim pointed other than forward. I think many will give in to attract a younger crowd as the older crowd thins out. Still, the old pics of guys playing in a jacket and tie are cool.
            In the bag:
            R15 12° PXV 6.0
            SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
            Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
            Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
            Vokey SM5 54, 58
            Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

good post!

Comment

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post

The image above and the guidance below come from the R&A Pace of Play Manual

“Ready golf” should not be confused with being ready to play.

The term “ready golf” has been adopted by many as a catch-all phrase for a number of actions that separately and collectively can improve pace of play. There is no official definition of the term, but examples of “ready golf” in action are:
                • Hitting a shot when safe to do so if a player farther away faces a challenging shot and is taking time to assess their options
                • Shorter hitters playing first from the tee or fairway if longer hitters have to wait
                • Hitting a tee shot if the person with the honour is delayed in being ready to play
                • Hitting a shot before helping someone to look for a lost ball
                • Putting out even if it means standing close to someone else’s line
                • Hitting a shot if a person who has just played from a greenside bunker is still farthest from the hole but is delayed due to raking the bunker
                • When a player’s ball has gone over the back of a green, any player closer to the hole but chipping from the front of the green should play while the other player is having to walk to their ball and assess their shot
                • Marking scores upon immediate arrival at the next tee, except that the first player to tee off marks their card immediately after teeing off

Of all the points raised above my favourite is
                "When not playing your shot, you should be preparing to play your shot."
                Helpful and informative, posts like this are the reason I joined here.
                Thank you.
                NSST golf
                Never the same swing twice!!

Comment

This website is for sale! sprint6golf.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sprint6golf.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                  Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

if you played yesterday you had to wear your hats backwards depending o wind direction or expect it to fly away

Comment

Ready golf is much easier when you play with the same people. It's hard with strangers, because you don't have a rhythm.

When I was a member of a club before I moved, I generally played with about the same 8 guys or so. We all walked, all took the game seriously but tried to stay on the move. Their was kind of an unspoken understanding of when you could play out of turn. Sometimes a player would be away and say "go ahead and hit, I'm not sure what my shot is."

I do agree that someone racing to play out of turn can be a problem, because it can just disrupt the flow. A good friend used to do this and I snapped at him that he might as well play on his own because there was no courtesy in how he played. He understood after that.

Ready golf on the tee box is a timesaver. Some guys seem to want to relax at the teeing ground - water, chat, whatever. If they have honour you can easily lose 45 seconds. It all adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                        You lost me a few times but "ready golf", when done properly can save a lot of time over the course of a round.

I can't understand what problems you're having with it.
                        Agreed. Next time your group leaves a green and heads to the next tee watch how long it takes for someone to tee it. I think thats where most time is spent/wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by BunkerKiller View Post
                          From what I saw, my playing partners should go first is always not ready, because of the ready golf concept. The supposed cure is became the source. Looking for a solution here, might be should be just tell him play faster.
                          Others have explained the concept of ready golf better than I can.

Let's just say that your playing partner is not 'ready' if he is still taking time lining up his putt.

Comment

I often play as a two-some and when we get paired up with another two-some no one plays ready golf (the other two-some). They always wait at the furthest back shot to be hit, and usually wait fairly close to the shot. I don;t like this way of playing golf, adds unneeded pressure and slows down the game. If everyone is spread out, left to right and close in distance then we should all approach our own ball, not all go to the furthest shot and wait. Really the only time you shouldn't be going to your ball is if its directly in front of someone else and you would impede their shot. If you are no where near someone else, then go to your own ball and get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                              Agreed. Next time your group leaves a green and heads to the next tee watch how long it takes for someone to tee it. I think thats where most time is spent/wasted.
                              Two weeks ago I watched a three-some finish up on a par-3. Two of the guys finished and then stood ten feet away from the last to putt. He putted, and then walked about twenty feet (in a direction away from the next tee) to pick up the flag and put it back in the hole. Saw the same thing on the next par-3 as well.
                              Since when does it make sense for the last guy putting to also be responsible to replace the flagstick?

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                                Two weeks ago I watched a three-some finish up on a par-3. Two of the guys finished and then stood ten feet away from the last to putt. He putted, and then walked about twenty feet (in a direction away from the next tee) to pick up the flag and put it back in the hole. Saw the same thing on the next par-3 as well.
                                Since when does it make sense for the last guy putting to also be responsible to replace the flagstick?

Closest to the pin, pulls the stick.
                                First one in replaces it.
                                Always park your cart/bag/trolley near the walk off area to the next tee.
                                Replace your divots.
                                Fix your ball mark plus one more.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X