Collapse

Any Nut in the Survey Business?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Nut in the Survey Business?

I have just bought a house in Saint Catharines and would be interested to know if there is a survey of the property. Can anyone who is in the business tell me if there is some sort of registry of surveys? and how I can access it? Do I have to go through a survey firm or is there a direct way. Note it is an old area of town so the property may be pre WWII if that makes a difference.

Thanks in Advance

Patrick

Re: Any Nut in the Survey Business?

I used to. Engineering / Geodetic survey mostly, "retired" 17 yrs ago. I had plenty of opportunity to deal with cadastral surveys for property line locations and worked with few OLSs. Not grand expert but I know enough of these basic questions. There are few ways you can go about it.

As opposed to old school Registry / Land Titles office, you can do it online now:
    https://www.ontario.ca/page/search-l...operty-records

Given you mentioned that is on an old neighborhood, the old survey plan (if any) will be ancient and hard to read (I can give it a shot if you PM me). What is there with the deed of the house? There got to be a legal description of the property.

Best bet is to find a local surveyor down there. Go to the site for Association of Ontario Land Surveyors. http://www.aols.org/find_a_surveyor
    OR
    the big listing: http://www.aols.org/members-directory/SurveyOffices

There has to be some local outfits that know the area. A lot of these small town shops are small so the $$ cost could be fairly cheap. Something that old they will likely have to go to the records of now retired surveyors. Call the association maybe.

You need to know which piece of the property is yours.

Read the info here: http://www.aols.org/boundaries/boundaries-and-your-land
    http://www.aols.org/sites/default/fi...tyReport_0.pdf

There is this free site but you will need to pay if you want a clear copy. It doesn't have everything. I cannot find my house but neighbor's house is there. https://www.landsurveyrecords.com/findMain.asp

PM me if you want privacy.
    Last edited by SingleWalking; May 23, 2017, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hamiltonhacker View Post
      I have just bought a house in Saint Catharines and would be interested to know if there is a survey of the property. Can anyone who is in the business tell me if there is some sort of registry of surveys? and how I can access it? Do I have to go through a survey firm or is there a direct way. Note it is an old area of town so the property may be pre WWII if that makes a difference.

Thanks in Advance

Patrick

There is yes. Try this one if your address comes up. If not there is another

Its not free

Comment

Originally posted by Frorose View Post
        There is yes. Try this one if your address comes up. If not there is another

Its not free
        Just tried my house in North York. Built in 1988 and I have seen the Plan of Survey with the house deed before. The plan on that site is from 1973 and 1940.

Comment

Originally posted by SingleWalking View Post
          Just tried my house in North York. Built in 1988 and I have seen the Plan of Survey with the house deed before. The plan on that site is from 1973 and 1940.

here is another one. I use this one more than the other but couldn't remember the link off the top of my head. Now that dinner is done....

https://www.landsurveyrecords.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frorose View Post
            here is another one. I use this one more than the other but couldn't remember the link off the top of my head. Now that dinner is done....

https://www.landsurveyrecords.com/
            I gave him that one already.

It all depends what the OP needs. For these old properties you never know where the property lines are, existing R.O.W., and any encroachment. If I am in that case I will call up the local small outfit and see how much for a survey plan or Surveyors Real Property Report.

That "Kirkup Mascoe Ure Surveying Ltd." from the AOLS Directory (see my links) looks like it is the surveyor's own bungalow. Fairly common in OLS business. Low operation costs = cheap price.

Comment

I played family feud once.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

That "Kirkup Mascoe Ure Surveying Ltd." goes back a century and have old field notes of previous surveyors down there. The original survey plan could have been done by one of those previous partners of the firm. There even have an online price estimate. No harm to fill up the form from the link below and see what quote they give you.

http://www.kirkupure.com/online-estimate

This other place is also run http://www.larocquegroup.ca/aboutus.html by the family for nearly have a century. Father and son are both OLS, I heard about those type of relationships before.

You don't want to find out later the old fence you see is not on your property at all. Or the city come to dig up your property to access some trunk sewer line.
                  Last edited by SingleWalking; May 24, 2017, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Check with your neighbours. Very often, especially many years ago, there were multiple homes on the same survey.

Comment

OK so I went to the offer to purchase and the legal description simply says CP 6 Lot111. Huh?

Thanks

Comment

OK so I went to the offer to purchase and the legal description simply says CP 6 Lot111. Huh?

Thanks
                        PM me the address and I'll look up the proper description.

Comment

Thanks Dave

Comment

This is resurrecting a thread I started. I asked my agent to ask about a survey and the response was "oh yeah we have an old survey, but it doesn't show the garage." "Old" is 1986!!! Well DOH don't you think a purchaser would be interested in the exact dimensions of the lot?

So they have sent me a scan of the survey. It is from 1986 and is described as a "Building Location Survey".

It begs more questions than it answers. Is this an accurate survey of the lot boundaries? There is reference to a 110' by 8' right of way in favour of lot 111 (my place is lot 110) without really defining what the right of way is.

The survey firm is still in business. Can I get a copy from them? Rather than read from this blurry scan?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

This is resurrecting a thread I started. I asked my agent to ask about a survey and the response was "oh yeah we have an old survey, but it doesn't show the garage." "Old" is 1986!!! Well DOH don't you think a purchaser would be interested in the exact dimensions of the lot?

So they have sent me a scan of the survey. It is from 1986 and is described as a "Building Location Survey".

It begs more questions than it answers. Is this an accurate survey of the lot boundaries? There is reference to a 110' by 8' right of way in favour of lot 111 (my place is lot 110) without really defining what the right of way is.

The survey firm is still in business. Can I get a copy from them? Rather than read from this blurry scan?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
                              Ouch! Spend the money for a proper survey,many older properties had shared driveways.

right of way -would imply you and him share a driveway, from the road to your respective garages at the back of the lot, from my understanding.
                              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X