Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum  

Go Back   Toronto Golf Nuts - Greater Toronto Area Golf Forum > Golf Discussion Forum > Golf Instruction
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:17 AM   #1
Jasonp
Club Pro

Default Lessons for absolute beginner? Worth it?

So my wife has expressed interest in learning golf and is even willing to take lessons.

The question I have is. She's probably swung a club a handful of times. (She has a petite lady's strata set) I've taken her to the range twice and she's been out on a course like once.

Is it worth it to get her some lessons yet or should I just keep taking her to the range a few more times and get her more comfortable first? Or are lessons still beneficial even though she still barely knows how to setup and bold a club?
3H-------Cobra King F6 (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.4"
DHY------Adams Super DHY (21) Matrix White Tie S 39.75"
Irons------Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW C Taper S
Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) C Taper S/KBS 610 Wedge S
Putter-----Ping Cadence TR Sheah H w/ Flatso 1.0
TLT'D @ Dans Custom Golf
Jasonp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Element
Scratch Golfer

Default Re: Lessons for absolute beginner? Worth it?

Why don't you just teach her?
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Jeffc
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Why don't you just teach her?
are you a divorce lawyer by chance?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:29 AM   #4
Jeffc
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonp View Post
So my wife has expressed interest in learning golf and is even willing to take lessons.

The question I have is. She's probably swung a club a handful of times. (She has a petite lady's strata set) I've taken her to the range twice and she's been out on a course like once.

Is it worth it to get her some lessons yet or should I just keep taking her to the range a few more times and get her more comfortable first? Or are lessons still beneficial even though she still barely knows how to setup and bold a club?
I'd get her a couple, at least to learn the basics - grip, stance, posture, etc.. Sometimes instructions are better served coming from a pro than a close relative. Also, there are a lot of parts to the game so irons, driver, putting, chipping are all things that people need a basic idea about to get started.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Hope469
Low Handicapper

Quote:

This is a tough one. I think you should continue with the range and some 9 hole outings for a little while. Teach her the basics, grip, posture, and weight transfer. If she truly enjoys hitting golf balls and playing on the course then lessons could be an option. You might want to try a ladies clinic for her? Its a great place to find out if she enjoys the game and she will learn the social aspect of golf also. I have been trying to get my wife to play for years. Shes actually pretty decent, but lacks the urge to play or practice. GL Cheers
Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
TA Tru-Milled 303SS
Hope469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:46 AM   #6
shizzngiggls
Low Handicapper

You should absolutely start with a lesson or two. The better teachers have taken some time to learn how to say the same thing 8 different ways until it clicks with their student, something most people don't have the knowledge or patience to do. ANY new player will benefit from lessons on fundamentals from an established teacher.
shizzngiggls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:54 AM   #7
TopofYourGame
Sponsor

In my opinion this is the best time to partake in lessons. The fundamentals mentioned above, Grip, Posture, Weight transfer, Alignment ect ect absolutely never leave us even as professionals. My thoughts are these are the most important aspects to be taught by a professional, and although we may all feel capable of teaching someone these concepts, most of us are years removed from when we learned them and could be relaying false or inaccurate information.

The simple truth is not every golfer understands the grip to the extent they think they do. There is a immense amount more depth in these topics when talking to a Pro as they understand how everything ties into the big picture, and ultimately every single thing you do comes together to create the big picture.

If you know she has the interest I would get her started off on the right foot and get some lessons on the basics !

Connect with us here:
www.topofyourgame.ca
www.facebook.com/topofyourgame
www.ryancorbingolf.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfl2LsJ8hg
TopofYourGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:34 PM   #8
davepratt
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffc View Post
are you a divorce lawyer by chance?
Now THAT is funny!
davepratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:51 PM   #9
Hope469
Low Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopofYourGame View Post
In my opinion this is the best time to partake in lessons. The fundamentals mentioned above, Grip, Posture, Weight transfer, Alignment ect ect absolutely never leave us even as professionals. My thoughts are these are the most important aspects to be taught by a professional, and although we may all feel capable of teaching someone these concepts, most of us are years removed from when we learned them and could be relaying false or inaccurate information.

The simple truth is not every golfer understands the grip to the extent they think they do. There is a immense amount more depth in these topics when talking to a Pro as they understand how everything ties into the big picture, and ultimately every single thing you do comes together to create the big picture.

If you know she has the interest I would get her started off on the right foot and get some lessons on the basics !
Well of course the pros understand how the basics contribute to the big picture. Having the beginner enjoy the atmosphere of golf would be most important before the endless tips and drills and lessons to endure. A beginner will have no idea how to understand the big picture, because there is no big picture, just an interest. Bring your wife to the range, split a bucket, tell her she has a great swing, then bring her out for a drink and an app at your local watering hole.. after a few range outings with her, you will know if golf is something she will have fun with. If she shows more interest and you notice she really wants to get better, thats the time to sign her up for a Ladies clinic. Then, private lessons if she is still really interested. I wouldnt put too much pressure on her right away, sometimes lessons can do that. She will expect to be "good" after a couple lessons.. we all know this is impossible. Make it social to begin with, just my opinion
Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
TA Tru-Milled 303SS
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:54 PM   #10
goshawk
Tour Pro

I agree with Ryan. There are numerous reasons why lessons would benefit your wife, one of the most prevalent is a trained set of eyes to help her get on the right track from the beginning. In my experience, getting lessons from a close relative/spouse is a definite challenge, primarily due to familiarity.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 01:55 PM   #11
nearace
Tour Pro

Not worth it imo,range time with your better half is time we'll spent and will reap rewards
nearace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 02:15 PM   #12
4underthru9
Tour Pro

Quote:
So my wife has expressed interest in learning golf and is even willing to take lessons. The question I have is. She's probably swung a club a handful of times. (She has a petite lady's strata set) I've taken her to the range twice and she's been out on a course like once.
Definitely yes, and a very good place for her to start would be with Dave Johnston be Bloomington Downs in Aurora, a very good beginners instructor.
Check him out here: https://twitter.com/golfswingrepair

Or if she would prefer a lady and wants to get an early start she could try Clara Cho at the
Markham Dome, http://www.markhamgolfdome.com/rates.php

She is new there, so not listed on their website yet, choclara77@gmail.com; she will also maybe be back at Thornhill GC in the Summer:
4underthru9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 02:49 PM   #13
Element
Scratch Golfer

If you do get her lessons... I suggest you don't...

If you do, make sure you pick an instructor that you know and trust.

Put her with the wrong person and fill her head with nonsense and you risk loosing a playing partner forever.

I assume she's not a Golf Nut, just a wife of one. She's not going to work on her grip for hours while watching the Golf Channel.

Just show her how to hit the ball in the air towards. Ish the target, if you're not comfortable with your skill level to do that, make sure you find the right guy/girl.
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 03:40 PM   #14
TopofYourGame
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope469 View Post
Well of course the pros understand how the basics contribute to the big picture. Having the beginner enjoy the atmosphere of golf would be most important before the endless tips and drills and lessons to endure. A beginner will have no idea how to understand the big picture, because there is no big picture, just an interest. Bring your wife to the range, split a bucket, tell her she has a great swing, then bring her out for a drink and an app at your local watering hole.. after a few range outings with her, you will know if golf is something she will have fun with. If she shows more interest and you notice she really wants to get better, thats the time to sign her up for a Ladies clinic. Then, private lessons if she is still really interested. I wouldnt put too much pressure on her right away, sometimes lessons can do that. She will expect to be "good" after a couple lessons.. we all know this is impossible. Make it social to begin with, just my opinion
Hope469, Upon review I think your correct. I reread the original post and for whatever reason while writing this had the idea his wife had already expressed interest beyond what she had. I will agree with you there is no point in getting instruction unless the pupil is committed to playing the game and has the desire to improve. As soon as the desire to improve is there, I still feel it is best to receive instruction from a Professional. I have witness all to many "lessons" from friends or family.

For now though.... Driving Range and a few cocktails

Connect with us here:
www.topofyourgame.ca
www.facebook.com/topofyourgame
www.ryancorbingolf.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flfl2LsJ8hg
TopofYourGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2017, 04:39 AM   #15
Hope469
Low Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopofYourGame View Post
Hope469, Upon review I think your correct. I reread the original post and for whatever reason while writing this had the idea his wife had already expressed interest beyond what she had. I will agree with you there is no point in getting instruction unless the pupil is committed to playing the game and has the desire to improve. As soon as the desire to improve is there, I still feel it is best to receive instruction from a Professional. I have witness all to many "lessons" from friends or family.

For now though.... Driving Range and a few cocktails
Absolutely, yes sir, golf must be taught by a professional no doubt. The ability to convey information smoothly and strategically to the student is paramount. It is the most important and most difficult aspect of teaching. Learning the students personality and way of thinking all while trying to teach a very difficult body movement and ideal can be very demanding to say the least. It is definitely very rewarding for both when all works out and results are positive. Cheers and thanks for the kind reply
Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
TA Tru-Milled 303SS
Old Feb 24, 2017, 07:08 AM   #16
4wedges
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
I agree with Ryan. There are numerous reasons why lessons would benefit your wife, one of the most prevalent is a trained set of eyes to help her get on the right track from the beginning. In my experience, getting lessons from a close relative/spouse is a definite challenge, primarily due to familiarity.
I echo these points.
4wedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2017, 07:51 AM   #17
dmcdam
Tour Pro

I'd say try 2 or 3 lessons. Pros are used to working with beginners that need a bit of early success to be motivated further into the game. If all you ever do is go to the range and hit the same bad shots over and over, how long would you stick with it before you became frustrated and put down the clubs for good? At minimum they'll impart some of the fundamentals of grip / setup / posture. Who couldn't use that advice early on?

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
Srixon Star XV
Ogio Grom bag
dmcdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 04:05 PM   #18
shizzngiggls
Low Handicapper

One lesson. One lesson with a pro that I'm sure you'll be allowed to share. If you've got a pro hammering a first timer with details you've got the wrong guy. It should be a simple...here's how u hold it, here's how u stand, turn your shoulders and pose at the end.....
shizzngiggls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2017, 08:57 AM   #19
bronc072
Low Handicapper

I'd take her to the driving range and get her to try hitting one solid shot. It doesn't matter where it goes as long as she makes solid contact. At least then she'll have experienced what it feels like to hit a golf ball before she gets caught up in lessons. I'd also take her to the putting green to practise some putts and chips not only to get a feel for the short game but for you to gauge her interest level as well. Physically, even a beginner can putt so you will quickly see if she's really that interested in playing before you start spending money on lessons, clubs, and clothes (don't forget clothes; they're a perk for women of all playing levels .
bronc072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:32 AM   #20
3 off the tee
Scratch Golfer

When my wife expressed interest in taking up golf, I bought her a 3-pack of lessons at Golftown (a few years back when they were still in the instruction game). After the first lesson, she said she wasn't going back. She hated the instructor. Fortunately, I was able to transfer the two remaining lessons into a GT store credit.

Since then, we've gone to the range a few times together, and she will allow me to give one or two suggestions per range session but anymore than that and she feels overwhelmed and is no longer having fun.

Next step for us is to get out on the course. The plan is a couple of spring range sessions this year, and then an easy 9 holes somewhere in the early summer (suggestions for good beginner courses are welcome).

I would agree with the general sentiment that the first priority should be to develop an enjoyment of the sport, and a general idea of how to get around a course. From personal experience, it seems that jumping right into lessons might not be the best approach, and the biggest factor is probably finding an instructor that your wife will respond to positively.

I wish you the best of luck getting your wife involved in the sport, and hope that you guys get to enjoy some time together on the course!
3 off the tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:17 AM   #21
4underthru9
Tour Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 off the tee View Post
When my wife expressed interest in taking up golf, I bought her a 3-pack of lessons at Golftown (a few years back when they were still in the instruction game). After the first lesson, she said she wasn't going back. She hated the instructor. Fortunately, I was able to transfer the two remaining lessons into a GT store credit.
Since then, we've gone to the range a few times together, and she will allow me to give one or two suggestions per range session but anymore than that and she feels overwhelmed and is no longer having fun.
Next step for us is to get out on the course. The plan is a couple of spring range sessions this year, and then an easy 9 holes somewhere in the early summer (suggestions for good beginner courses are welcome).
I would agree with the general sentiment that the first priority should be to develop an enjoyment of the sport, and a general idea of how to get around a course. From personal experience, it seems that jumping right into lessons might not be the best approach, and the biggest factor is probably finding an instructor that your wife will respond to positively.
I wish you the best of luck getting your wife involved in the sport, and hope that you guys get to enjoy some time together on the course!
Centennial Park Golf Centre,
550 Centennial Park Blvd, Etobicoke,
would seem to be ideal for you, Range, Miniputt, and relatively easy golf course.

http://centennialparkgolfcentre.com/
Old Apr 17, 2017, 08:39 AM   #22
blazex2
Duffer

absolutely get her lessons. I've lost count of how many times I've seen husbands try to teach their wives at the range with the worst tips and advice. Throwing a million things at them at once, without even nailing the basics like setup and grip right. And why does everyone insist on having people use a driver right away? Despite it being on a tee, hitting a driver is ridiculously difficult for a beginner and bad results will only dissuade someone from picking up a club again. Start with a wedge. Get grip right, do some chipping. Work her way up to a full swing.

Also, you may be a decent golfer, but that doesn't necessarily mean you know how to teach the game. Golf gets unnecessarily complicated and a good instructor will cut through all the noise.
blazex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 08:09 AM   #23
SmoothBomber
Duffer

IF you get lessons. I recommend a gravity swing teacher as women greatly benefit from physics-perfect swings which give them fluidity and effortless power.

And please make sure it is a good instructor who will put the why/how together for her and not just the what. As in... information on setup and grip can be found in 5-10min youtube videos. The reason you go pay for a coach is that the coach can help you understand how to get into those positions naturally so you can swing naturally instead of as a disjointed robot trying to muscle everything. Unfortunately only good teachers do this and there is no shortage of hacks stealing hourly fees while offering no more than a free youtube vid. Research your coach. Or just hire me lol.
SmoothBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 10:10 AM   #24
Benz
Tour Pro

Quote:
Was in the same position myself many years ago. My wife found lessons with a teaching pro to be a little intimidating. So, they're not for everyone, at least not at the beginning.

FWIW, before any lessons, let her get familiar with her own 'swing' by just experimenting at the short-game area and perhaps on the putting green. Even if she is only chipping, it's a start that will give he some success in hitting the ball. Also, chipping and putting don't involve a full swing, so it doesn't take a lot of athletic skill.

You can help her with a simple grip, but just let her get started with something that she finds comfortable. You can always refine it later.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2017, 11:11 AM   #25
4underthru9
Tour Pro

Interesting that OP posted in February and it appears we have not heard anything since or is there something between the lines that I missed.