/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Advice Needed – quit, time off, or stick with it?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice Needed – quit, time off, or stick with it?

I played so bad yesterday I wanted to quit also,playing to quick,kept lifting my head,it was sad.I played an extra 9 and rembered the basics ,back at it today

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
      Sorry to hear that. I am kind of in the same boat, I've played 9 holes in 2 1/2 weeks, plus a couple of practice rounds. Yet I don't feel a great desire to play.
      I will get out this weekend, but likely for a casual round or two where I don't keep score. Hopefully I will get my game and my mojo back.
      I hope yours comes back.
      Yup that's what I expect I will do until season end. Play 9 with no score if things are going well go into back.
      In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
      Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
      Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
      Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
      Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
      Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
      Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
      --------
      Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Originally posted by chrish8 View Post
        Thank you very much Smitty, yes certainly not going to get ahead of myself as I know where I have been for the last 2 months. 1 shot at a time and im going to let the clubs move the ball for me rather than me trying to move the ball with the club.

Now back to you ............ take that break/time off for a week or so to clear the cob-webs. Offer is still open to you to come out to Sleepy just to hit the ball around and have fun.

I.E no score, no penalty shots, tee it up in the middle of the fairway if you want....just lets get you back to enjoying the game.
        Thanks Chris. I've actually been (mostly) playing a bit better lately although, to paraphrase Gilda Radner, there's always something. Tuesday, mid round, couldn't hit my 5W - I mean couldn't get it off the ground - usually my favorite club and I hit several really well earlier in the round. WTF?

Sorry to hear you've slipped back again. You may have put some pressure on yourself because it was league play. Your idea of sticking with casual play, no score, no penalties, etc, may be the best cure. I played a few weeks ago with my son's brother-in-law (his wife's sister's husband so no relation to me that I can see). Anyway, he shot an 88 for NINE holes and probably had more fun than the rest of us; laughing and just enjoying knocking a ball around. Not saying any of us want to hack around like that but we could maybe benefit from not taking things too seriously sometimes. Whenever I leave to play golf or go to the range my wife says "Have fun". I always respond, "Its golf, there is nothing fun about it."

Comment

I've been on a slump myself of late shooting considerably worse than my HCI (which has been pretty steady for 2 years minimum).

Today went to Bunker Hill for 18 with friends (we played the front 6 2x). I was playing DB golf through 11 holes when all of a sudden on 12 I hit a solid hybrid that found the green but left a long putt. Had a good line but too firm and rolled by the hole a good 10 - 12 ft. But made that putt coming back for my first par of the day.

Then back to the 1st tee and went Bogey, Par, Par, Bogey, Par, DB on the final 6 for a 22 (+4). After taking 30 to play the same 6 in the morning this was a huge relief! Should have scored better on the last hole but never thought I could hit an 8 iron to a 175 yard middle pin, dead on line and be THROUGH the green (downwind, 3 clubs I guess?) and the chip from the rough was too heavy and I chunked it.

So the golf Gods bring me back for more....

Comment

I played a relaxed 9 yesterday and hit the ball well. My back has been acting up so I had to swing easy, which likely helped. Even though my short game was quite rusty I didn't care as I was on or near the fairways, and around the greens all 9. Even my (approximate) triple on the last hole didn't take away from the enjoyment I had.
            While walking between shots I was thinking how nice a day it was and how long I've been playing this game, and how I was enjoying myself. All I focused on was making a good swing. Nothing more.
            Unfortunately my back isn't allowing me to play today.
            Last edited by 4wedges; Sep 5, 2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Well today, I've hit the wall of golf funk! I was playing pretty well but had to go away for a couple weeks to do some work and by the time i got back, It was about 3.5wks since I swung a club!

My first round since I got back was Friday at Royal Woodbine. My short game which has been a lifesaver was non-existant. I'm fluffing chips and pitches when I'd normally put the ball within 6 feet of the pin and putts I'd leave super short or race them by. Irons I'm starting to chunk. Only thing working is driver and 3wood. I shot a 99!!

Today, I played Westview and shot 97! I have no clue where my game went so if anyone happens to find it lying around somewhere, please return it. I usually shoot in the mid-80s.

After today's round I was ready to hang up the sticks.... Ughhh. Love this stupid, frustrating game...

Comment

Since the last week of August I have done some of my own experiments.

I am convinced it is my mind set and the course layout that just does not fit my eye/game. My last few rounds at Sleepy I seriously struggled to break a 100 with my best round being a 92.

During the same period I played Wooden Sticks, Cherry Downs, Wyndance, Emerald Hills, Oak Ridge and my highest score was an 85 and lowest a 79.

With the above, pitiful food, terrible greens and guest $hitting on the course I think I may need to look elsewhere for next season.............

While I think the course is an amazing setup and love the members at Sleepy, it is just not fun to play for me, it makes no sense to hit an ok shot and be OB, or in a hazard, while at another track you will be in good shape just off the fairway or in the rough.
                Last edited by chrish8; Sep 11, 2016, 08:51 PM.
                In the Bag

--------
                Home Course - Clublink

Comment

I am convinced it is my mind set and the course layout that just does not fit my eye/game. My last few rounds at Sleepy I seriously struggled to break a 100 with my best round being a 92.

During the same period I played Wooden Sticks, Cherry Downs, Wyndance, Emerald Hills, Oak Ridge and my highest score was an 85 and lowest a 79.

With the above, pitiful food, terrible greens and guest $hitting on the course I think I may need to look elsewhere for next season.............

While I think the course is an amazing setup and love the members at Sleepy, it is just not fun to play for me, it makes no sense to hit an ok shot and be OB, or in a hazard, while at another track you will be in good shape just off the fairway or in the rough.
                  Come and join Cedar Brae, I can show you how to 3 putt from 10' and in, I have lost all confidence this year with the putter, so many thoughts in my head when I stand over a putt, it's been the worse putting year I have had for a long time, the worse thing I have done is kept on changing my putter and so I have lost feel for anything.

The game from tee to green is fine and I do have a few great putting rounds but overall big time yips, such a mental thing this year with that stupid stick!!
                  Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                  Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                  Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                  Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                  Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                  Pro V1x Left Dash
                  Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                  Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Originally posted by hannah View Post
                    Come and join Cedar Brae, I can show you how to 3 putt from 10' and in, I have lost all confidence this year with the putter, so many thoughts in my head when I stand over a putt, it's been the worse putting year I have had for a long time, the worse thing I have done is kept on changing my putter and so I have lost feel for anything.

The game from tee to green is fine and I do have a few great putting rounds but overall big time yips, such a mental thing this year with that stupid stick!!
                    Welcome to the group.... Sorry to hear. Putting just kills me. Everyone shakes their head at my stroke and a few times this year I thought I had overcome it, but not the case yet.

I just worry about good ballstriking and cross my fingers when it comes to putting.

Comment

• Re: Advice Needed – quit, time off, or stick with it?

I was going to PM and ask how it was going when I saw your post this AM.

Glad to hear you're doing better even though its not at your home course. Those are all good tracks so clearly your game is OK but there must be something about Sleepy that's not working for you; funny it should happen all of sudden though, as it sounds like you played pretty well there in the past. Tough decision to walk from a club after paying initiation, etc.

Good luck and let us know where you land.

Comment

I'm glad to hear you've been playing and putting up some solid scores. You might be right, sometimes there are courses that simply don't fit our games.

Comment

Go to the range and practice half shots with your 5 or 6 iron.

Fix that and everything else should fall into place!

Comment

Originally posted by gotogolf View Post
                            Welcome to the group.... Sorry to hear. Putting just kills me. Everyone shakes their head at my stroke and a few times this year I thought I had overcome it, but not the case yet.

I just worry about good ballstriking and cross my fingers when it comes to putting.
                            Ball striking for the most part is good!!, but the putting is terrible, it's all in the head and this year has been the type of putting where I have come close to seeing how far I can throw my putter after 3 putting from 10' and in, on in 2 and I 3 putt, par 5 on in 3 and 3 putt,
                            Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                            Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                            Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                            Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                            Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                            Pro V1x Left Dash
                            Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                            Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                              I was going to PM and ask how it was going when I saw your post this AM.
                              Tough decision to walk from a club after paying initiation, etc.
                              Cheers, how about your game?

The initiation part does suck but wasn't that bad as we got a discount since both my wife and I joined at the same time. I would just factor that into the into the annuals and justify it as the cost of golfing.

The toughest part would be leaving the membership. I can say Sleepy has some of the best members I have met anywhere. Many of them have become very close friends to my wife and me and I would miss the last minute call/txt to get out and play a quick round.

Outside of the course fitting my eye and the green conditions, there were some other issues I had this year which is making the call to leave VERY easy. And I am now thinking that might be why I was not playing well there as I did not want to be there.... Who knows
                              In the Bag

--------
                              Home Course - Clublink

Comment

And I am now thinking that might be why I was not playing well there as I did not want to be there.... Who knows
                                Could be. I know that when I have one foot out the door of anything I'm doing, whether its work, leisure or personal, I have a lot of trouble caring.

My game's been quite a bit better of late although it seems like something is always a bit off. A couple of rounds ago I started duffing every shot of less 30 yards to the point where I resorted to playing bump and run just to avoid wasting 2 or 3 more shots. Had a rough outing at Cherry Downs as a result; hit the ball well, kept it in play, putted not badly once it got there, but couldn't get a ball on the green to save my life. Worked on it at the range and things seem to be better but I won't know for sure until I get on a course - hopefully tomorrow.

Glad its going better for you. Hopefully you'll find a new home soon as well. Lots to choose from in the area.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X