Collapse

rules on balls, pins, and ball in hole

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rules on balls, pins, and ball in hole

long story short, i was playing with a group of women the other day and 2 situations came up which caused a bit of a conundrum concerning rules.

situation 1. par 3hole. golfer hit off tee, the pin had not been placed properly in hole by group ahead of us and her ball, had the pin been placed properly, would have gone in for a hole in one, but stopped dead because pin was laying against that side of the hole. (hole in one or no?) we told her that she should class it as a hole in one, because when the pin was rolled slightly to the side, to see if the ball would indeed fall in, it did.

2nd situation par 5, (although par of hole does not matter), golfer hit ball up on to the green and into the hole, for a par. the rest of the group, chiped up onto the green, 1st ball and pin were still in hole and a ball was putted into hole and bounced back out. (does this count as a penalty to the person who left the ball in the hole while others were putting, or does it count as a penalty to one who putted in second?

anyone know the rulings on these two situations.

Re: rules on balls, pins, and ball in hole

Originally posted by golfmama View Post
    long story short, i was playing with a group of women the other day and 2 situations came up which caused a bit of a conundrum concerning rules.

situation 1. par 3hole. golfer hit off tee, the pin had not been placed properly in hole by group ahead of us and her ball, had the pin been placed properly, would have gone in for a hole in one, but stopped dead because pin was laying against that side of the hole. (hole in one or no?) we told her that she should class it as a hole in one, because when the pin was rolled slightly to the side, to see if the ball would indeed fall in, it did.

2nd situation par 5, (although par of hole does not matter), golfer hit ball up on to the green and into the hole, for a par. the rest of the group, chiped up onto the green, 1st ball and pin were still in hole and a ball was putted into hole and bounced back out. (does this count as a penalty to the person who left the ball in the hole while others were putting, or does it count as a penalty to one who putted in second?

anyone know the rulings on these two situations.
    Situation 1:
    Rule 17-4. Ball Resting Against Flagstick
    When a player's ball rests against the flagstick in the hole and the ball is not holed, the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick, and if the ball falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, if moved, must be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

Situation 2:
    Rule 17-3. Ball Striking Flagstick or Attendant
    The player's ball must not strike:
    a. The flagstick when it is attended, removed or held up;
    b. The person attending or holding up the flagstick or anything carried by him; or
    c. The flagstick in the hole, unattended, when the stroke has been made on the putting green.

It didn't matter that the other ball is in the hole when the putt was stroked, it cannot strike the flagstick
    U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
      Situation 1:
      Rule 17-4. Ball Resting Against Flagstick
      When a player's ball rests against the flagstick in the hole and the ball is not holed, the player or another person authorized by him may move or remove the flagstick, and if the ball falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke; otherwise, the ball, if moved, must be placed on the lip of the hole, without penalty.

Situation 2:
      Rule 17-3. Ball Striking Flagstick or Attendant
      The player's ball must not strike:
      a. The flagstick when it is attended, removed or held up;
      b. The person attending or holding up the flagstick or anything carried by him; or
      c. The flagstick in the hole, unattended, when the stroke has been made on the putting green.

It didn't matter that the other ball is in the hole when the putt was stroked, it cannot strike the flagstick
      great answers

Comment

Goshawk...

Situation two:

I haven't checked the rule book on this one but I thought there is a penalty to the person who holed out if there was a ball already in the hole?
        What's In The Bag:
        Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 9*
        3 Wood: Callaway Paradym 15*
        Utility(s): Ping G410 18*
        Irons: PXG 0311 Gen6 Dark 4-GW
        Wedge: PXG 0311 Forged 58*
        Putter: Scotty Detour Custom

WITB FLA:
        Same as Above

Comment

Originally posted by just123123 View Post
          Goshawk...

Situation two:

I haven't checked the rule book on this one but I thought there is a penalty to the person who holed out if there was a ball already in the hole?
          Don't bother, there is no such rule.
          Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
            Don't bother, there is no such rule.
            Of course not. That would be like penalizing someone for getting an ace right after another in the group already had one. You can't expect them to run up there to take the ball out prior to another golfer hitting, just in case.
            U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk View Post
              Of course not. That would be like penalizing someone for getting an ace right after another in the group already had one. You can't expect them to run up there to take the ball out prior to another golfer hitting, just in case.

There may not be a rule I haven't checked, but my question would only be considered if you were putting on the green and there was a ball in the hole, not hitting on to the green. But as per OP's situation2, the flagstick was in the hole therefore the putting player would be penalized.

There is a definite rule to cover an ace etc if a ball is coming from a shot off the green and deflected by a ball already on the green. (either from a ball already in the hole or just on the green)

Another question for you guys, what would you think would happen if there was a ball already in the hole (no flagstick) and a second ball landed in the hole and bounced out?
              Last edited by just123123; May 10, 2009, 05:56 AM.
              What's In The Bag:
              Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 9*
              3 Wood: Callaway Paradym 15*
              Utility(s): Ping G410 18*
              Irons: PXG 0311 Gen6 Dark 4-GW
              Wedge: PXG 0311 Forged 58*
              Putter: Scotty Detour Custom

WITB FLA:
              Same as Above

Comment

There may not be a rule I haven't checked, but my question would only be considered if you were putting on the green and there was a ball in the hole, not hitting on to the green. But as per OP's situation2, the flagstick was in the hole therefore the putting player would be penalized.

There is a definite rule to cover an ace etc if a ball is coming from a shot off the green and deflected by a ball already on the green. (either from a ball already in the hole or just on the green)

Another question for you guys, what would you think would happen if there was a ball already in the hole (no flagstick) and a second ball landed in the hole and bounced out?
                A ball is holed when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole and all of it is below the lip of the hole.

If a player is dumb enough to leave someone else's ball in the hole when he plays and the ball bounces out, he deserves to lose the resulting stroke.

Comment

Since the hole is supposed to be 4" deep, and the ball is supposed to be 1.68" in circumference, it is conceiveable that 2 balls should fit into the hole together. However, if I'm putting and someone before me holes his putt and leaves the ball in there, you can bet I'm going to ask them to get the ball out of the hole. If my ball bounces out of the hole because that ball was still in there, I'm going to be pretty pi$$ed.
                  U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I'd like to hear the answer to this one too. Player A gets an ace, then Player B hits one into the cup on the fly and it bounces out.

If the first ball wasn't in the hole I believe Player B would be allowed to place the ball where it made contact with the other ball ... which would be in the hole.

OTOH, balls on the fly have been known to hit the bottom of the cup and bounce out anyway.

What say the rules mavens? You know who you are.

Comment

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that a ball in motion that strikes another ball (regardless whether it's in the cup or not) is the "rub of the green", and it's "play it as it lies". In other words, "hellova shot, now is my ball marker in your putting line?"
                      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

You're most likely right. (I don't know what I was thinking when I asked the question. The ball that was stationary is the one that gets replaced as it was.)
                        Last edited by landlord; May 10, 2009, 09:10 AM. Reason: Senior brain cramp

Comment

There may not be a rule I haven't checked,
                          Please be assured that there isn't.
                          Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                          - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X