Collapse

Garage Door Advice

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Door Advice

Looking for advice on replacement garage doors. We have a two car garage which is served by two separate doors. The existing doors are very old, very thick wooden doors. The track they are on and the openers appear to be quite new.

Question, is there a big difference in door quality? If you buy your doors from Home Depot instead of through a garage door company, is there really a big difference. I'm quite certain that things like rollers would be of higher quality if bought through a dealer, but is it worth paying double in order to have the best level of quality?

Thanks.

Re: Garage Door Advice

Send me a PM and I can provide contact name.
    Replaced both garage doors and his price was fair and quality of work excellent.
    You can reuse the openers but you should replace the track.
    Last edited by WhiteWalker; Mar 24, 2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

don't scrimp. Nothing worse than a sticky door on a cold winter morning.
      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Nothing wrong with Home Depot doors as they have a very wide range of prices amd quality. Fibreglass doors are pretty much maintenance free.

Comment

Installed insulated garage doors - way less racket/noise opening and a noticeable difference with the ambient temperature, especially during cold months (which the Harley likes )

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
            Installed insulated garage doors - way less racket/noise opening and a noticeable difference with the ambient temperature, especially during cold months (which the Harley likes )
            This is what I was thinking also!!!
            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by ginrin View Post
              Nothing wrong with Home Depot doors as they have a very wide range of prices amd quality. Fibreglass doors are pretty much maintenance free.
              didn't know about the fiberglass doors,they would definitely take abuse better.

Comment

Originally posted by ginrin View Post
                are there doors that require maintenance? We've got whatever our house came with 11 years ago, never done a thing to it other than lubricate the hinges, etc.
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                  are there doors that require maintenance? We've got whatever our house came with 11 years ago, never done a thing to it other than lubricate the hinges, etc.
                  Wooden doors might require some painting . . . beside that pretty easy to take care of. Like you said a bit of lubrication once in a while.
                  If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

HD will also source other options. I've never used them, everyone in the family has always used a local overhead door business.
                    "It took me 17 years to get 3000 hits. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."
                    --Hank Aaron

Comment

I replaced our double door this year. Went with a steel insulated unit. Had a local place (JR) in Mississauga do it.

Replaced the whole show - door, track, opener etc.

Happy. Warmer garage all winter, and quiet opener (belt) vs the 20 year old chain drive piece it replaced.
                      Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
                      Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
                      Nike 23 degree hybrid
                      Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
                      Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
                      Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse