Collapse

Not lifting up during your swing

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not lifting up during your swing

This is one of those things that I had figured out a few years ago and for some reason it crept back into my swing. By lifting up in my follow thru I add too much fade and lose distance. Then in the wind my ball will start spinning and it can really end up right. 5 rounds ago I finally figured out that's what has been happening again.

I'm hitting it so much straighter again and have gained a lot of distance. The only problem is I've been missing some greens to the left because I'm used to starting my ball out a bit left so it will fade in. I've started to fix that now and even in the wind I'm controlling my ball so much better staying down in my swing.

Re: Not lifting up during your swing

I too have just recently fixed this in my own swing. After a couple of years just grinding it out I finally had a friend take some video of my swing. I was losing my posture/spine angle at impact and it was causing a lot of inconsistency. I think this is a really common issue because honestly its difficult to maintain that angle through impact. Physically it feels quite unnatural and takes time to ingrain the muscle memory and flexibility to execute, (for me anyway).
    It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling. - Mark Twain

Driver: Ping G10 9º DBB63S
    3wd: Cleveland 15º Fuji S
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18 VS Proto 80S
    Irons: 5-pw Ping E1 Modus 3 S
    Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 50º
    Putter: TM-880

Comment

Originally posted by Snoman View Post
      I too have just recently fixed this in my own swing. After a couple of years just grinding it out I finally had a friend take some video of my swing. I was losing my posture/spine angle at impact and it was causing a lot of inconsistency. I think this is a really common issue because honestly its difficult to maintain that angle through impact. Physically it feels quite unnatural and takes time to ingrain the muscle memory and flexibility to execute, (for me anyway).
      Exactly - we used to call this coming off the ball...
      Straighten your spine, rotate around it, don't peek and lift your head up to look - your body will follow.

Comment

I agree staying down during your swing doesn't feel natural and lifting up does. The results speak for themselves though, what a difference!

Comment

Try putting your back foot backwards a little, 6 inches or more...to prevent your body from swaying, swinging, or lifting or dipping. !

Comment

My short game and precision shots were bang on today allowing my head move a fraction lateral. However my long game and flop shots sucked It was better when I keep my head and neck braced and set at angle with my spine and rotating and not letting my head sway

Comment

Originally posted by blftotoo View Post
              Exactly - we used to call this coming off the ball...
              Straighten your spine, rotate around it, don't peek and lift your head up to look - your body will follow.
              Like Annika and Duval?😜

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                Like Annika and Duval?😜
                Had exactly the same thought, lol. Maybe add Stenson to your list, no ?
                Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                  Had exactly the same thought, lol. Maybe add Stenson to your list, no ?
                  Cheers !
                  If you have perfect timing you can stay behind the ball while following it with your head like Annika. For most mortals, me included, that is impossible!

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                    Like Annika and Duval?😜
                    Watch Sörenstam and Duval at impact - they both maintain their spine angle until after the ball is gone.

Comment

Some good tips here. One thing I'd like to offer is that while swing technique/mechanics as describe is very important, your own body's physical limitations may also be a contributing factor to a loss of posture during your swing. If your were to draw a triple posture line from the center of the head to the hip, then from the hip to the knee, then from the knee to the ankle you can see various forms of loss of posture including early extension or flat shoulder plane. The ability to stay on those line is affected by:

- Asymmetries and general joint stiffness in the lower body (hip flexors, ankles, hamstrings)
                      - Poor disassociation of the upper and lower body (lat length, reduced spinal mobility)
                      - Poor mobility in the shoulders

All these can be corrected via mobility and flexibility exercises - it would certainly alleviate that "unnatural feeling" that one of the above posters describe.

Some food for thought.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X