No announcement yet.
Collapse

SUPER SHORT BACK SWINGS at Farmer's ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SUPER SHORT BACK SWINGS at Farmer's ???

JB Holmes also comes to mind - short backswing but he can crush it. Think it's about storing energy n releasing through/past the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope469 View Post
      Nice Bruce Lee analogy I found one of the toughest drills on the range was to take the club back just above the knees and try to activate as much power as possible to try and hit a golf shot. If anybody wants to work on core power this is the drill. Cheers
      JasonP stole my thunder, I was going to post B.Lee’s punch video. Great analogy.

The 9-3 drill can surprise with power, accuracy and efficiency. 20% of my range bucket is used with this drill. Great for any handicapper, especially beginners.

Dan Whittaker’s take on backswing length.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htl7V_sLSvc

Comment

Originally posted by ndrpar View Post
        JasonP stole my thunder, I was going to post B.Lee’s punch video. Great analogy.

The 9-3 drill can surprise with power, accuracy and efficiency. 20% of my range bucket is used with this drill. Great for any handicapper, especially beginners.

Dan Whittaker’s take on backswing length.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htl7V_sLSvc
        My Kung fu is strong!

Comment

It's that crazy bowed wrist that helps these guys creat crazy power and lag.
          Quite the opposite of my supinated wrist which gives me no power and an open face!
          Fortunately my 7 year old daughter has a crazy bowed wrist and hits a powerful draw and will be outdriving me shortly!
          Killer21
          M2 Oban Devotion 6S
          Adams XTD 3, 5 wood Matrix Red Tie 7S
          Adams Pro 20* Hybrid Aldila Tour Red R
          Adams Pro DHY 24* Hybrid Aldila Tour Blue R
          Adams XTD Irons KBS C-Taper Lite R
          Titeleist SM4 Vokey 54*
          Titleist SM5 5Vokey 58* W DG Spinner
          Macgregor Bobby Grace 6.4 K Putter
          Bridgestone RXS

Comment

Originally posted by Killer21 View Post
            It's that crazy bowed wrist that helps these guys creat crazy power and lag.
            Quite the opposite of my supinated wrist which gives me no power and an open face!
            Fortunately my 7 year old daughter has a crazy bowed wrist and hits a powerful draw and will be outdriving me shortly!
            Hey
            I found your post sooo interesting and intriguing a bit.
            And AAMOF, i have been experimenting/swinging in my back yard for the last couple of weeks (no balls involved and thus, no broken windows on the neighboring houses, lol) trying both, the bowed and cupped left wrist, and i just cannot make up my mind which is better ???
            But the "feeling" is so drastically different between the two.
            Maybe you should start a new thread on this topic
            ATB and cheers !

Comment

A cupped left wrist is bad if super cupped.

Slight cup is manageable. Flat to bowed is ok. Not many of us can do the DJ super bowed wrist.

Comment

My short backswing was influenced by Moe Norman. It improved my game a lot because unless your swing back and down really travels all the way along the arc, you aren't gaining anything and in some cases, like mine, a long backswing leads to a loss of balance. Moe's swing accelerates from the club parallel to the ground so if that's where he's generating his clubhead speed, why take a long backswing. If you have Sam Snead's smooth swing, then the longer the club head travels along the swing arc, the more power you can generate. Otherwise, it's best to remember that the few inches in front and the few inches behind the ball are where clubhead speed really matters the most.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                  Thanks for your reply - appreciated, but, WHERE IS THE POWER COMING FROM ???
                  In my opinion, true power comes from the proper kinetic sequence or chain of events. . .a culmination of many parts and movements if you will.

Others in this thread have touched on it already in more or less words.

If you have a proper sequencing, a short swing can be both powerful and effortless.
                  The sole purpose of the golf swing is to create a correct impact. How that is done is of no consequence, so long as the method employed allows you to repeat it - John Jacobs

Comment

Here's Kostis Analysis of Rahms swing. I'm guessing that Holmes does the same that they have insane lower body rotation down and through the downswing.

Comment

Originally posted by mizzyboy View Post
                      Here's Kostis Analysis of Rahms swing. I'm guessing that Holmes does the same that they have insane lower body rotation down and through the downswing.
                      http://www.pgatour.com/video/2016/08...travelers.html
                      Only IMHO, and Tony Lutzak's expert opinion, the lower body DOES NOT provide power, IT'S THE RIGHT ARM that does. The body, only provides STABILITY, POSITION, AND BALANCE for the right arm to fire down and thru.

Comment

Only IMHO, and Tony Lutzak's expert opinion, the lower body DOES NOT provide power, IT'S THE RIGHT ARM that does. The body, only provides STABILITY, POSITION, AND BALANCE for the right arm to fire down and thru.
                        and I can tell you thats not accurate. Id say it takes more of a powerful core/lower body then it does a right arm to generate good speed.

again using the punch analogy. You can have the strongest arms in the world and yet the weakest punch.

Have a nice strong core with fast twitch muscles and wet noodles for arms...that punch gonna hurt a hell of a lot more then the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                          and I can tell you thats not accurate. Id say it takes more of a powerful core/lower body then it does a right arm to generate good speed.

again using the punch analogy. You can have the strongest arms in the world and yet the weakest punch.

Have a nice strong core with fast twitch muscles and wet noodles for arms...that punch gonna hurt a hell of a lot more then the first.
                          VO, I also agree with JasonP. There are many ways to swing the golf club, and what instructors say can be misinterpreted.

My comments are:
                          1) Take any kind of athletic activity, whether it's throwing a ball, swinging a bat, or punching, and power is generated from the ground up using the lower body. Golf isn't somehow different. Think of tossing a 10-lb weight using a golf swing... are you going to generate power with your arms or your legs?

2) I never heard of Tony Lutzak, but decided to check him out, and while I only watched one video, I think you may be misinterpreting some of what he says.

I do not like how he describes and explains some things (it's not the way that connects with me), but fundamentally, I don't see him saying anything different. And there are many ways to swing the club, but all ways involve the lower body.

I think the main point is that Lutzak doesn't like to think of "driving" with the hips in a rotational way, but he likes to think of the hips going up. This means the power is generated by pushing into the ground, which means the main source of power is the lower body. Larry has described this in his thread on front foot stability in which Larry does a drill that Lutzak also uses (Stork).

Golf is not something completely different from other athletic motions, where it's is clear that the power comes from the ground up.
                          Last edited by multimut; Feb 16, 2017, 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X