Collapse

Fairway wood with flat lie angle

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairway wood with flat lie angle

Hey guys, i've got a question for anyone knowledgable on the subject. I feel as though my current 3 wood has too uptight a lie for me. What would be some of the flatter fairway wood heads on the market ?

Thanks
    Titleist 913D2 10.5*
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15*
    Titliest 913h 19*
    Cleveland 588 CB forged 4-pw
    Cleveland 588 rtx 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Studio Select
    Ball: whatever's on sale

Re: Fairway wood with flat lie angle

Can't you adjust it?
    Titleist 910F fairway woods, released in 2011, features a pear shaped head design with a deep CG for easier launch off the turf and straighter more consistent ball flight.

Better Fit

Patented, innovative, dual-angle SureFit Tour hosel technology allows you to set loft and lie independently to optimize ball flight - higher or lower, and for more draw or fade - for increased distance and improved shot control. Interchangeable shaft connection and rear weight screw provide enhanced fitting options.

Comment

^^^ i would second the question, as well. For the life of me, i do not understand why are the drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids made so upright (and on top of that, their ever increasing shaft length makes it even worse, no ?), as compared to irons.
      cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
        ^^^ i would second the question, as well. For the life of me, i do not understand why are the drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids made so upright (and on top of that, their ever increasing shaft length makes it even worse, no ?), as compared to irons.
        cheers !
        If the OP still games the Titleist 910 as in his WITB the lie angle is set at 57* which to me is not very upright at all

Comment

cheers !
          As I understand it, they're made that way because the club head is shafted at the heel and as the clubhead moves through impact, the clubhead flattens out. The shaft "droops" (flexes) as the toe weight of the of the clubhead pulls away due to centrifugal force.

All your full swing clubs will be a little toe up at address, progressively more for the longer clubs.

If you're worried, draw a vertical line on your ball with a dry erase marker or even a sharpie. After you hit the ball, if the mark isn't vertical or nearly vertical on the clubface, post a photo or go see a professional.

Comment

The Ping G lays flat and seems to have a flatter lie angle.
            TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
            TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
            TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
            Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
            Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
            100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

New M2 tour is 56degrees

Comment

Not sure if you were looking for something newer, but Callaway XR Pro (2015) fairway woods were a little bit flatter (14 at 55 degrees, 16 at 55.5 degrees). For comparison the non-pro XR 3 wood from that year had a 57 degree lie angle. Based on that I did get an XR Pro 4 wood.

Comment

Originally posted by tdeveyra View Post
                  Not sure if you were looking for something newer, but Callaway XR Pro (2015) fairway woods were a little bit flatter (14 at 55 degrees, 16 at 55.5 degrees). For comparison the non-pro XR 3 wood from that year had a 57 degree lie angle. Based on that I did get an XR Pro 4 wood.
                  If you can't tell from my signature I'm a big fan of older clubs. LOL. I'll look into those. I have heard the x2 hot pro are quite flat as well.
                  Titleist 913D2 10.5*
                  Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15*
                  Titliest 913h 19*
                  Cleveland 588 CB forged 4-pw
                  Cleveland 588 rtx 52, 56, 60
                  Scotty Studio Select
                  Ball: whatever's on sale

Comment

cheers !
                    yes the toe up( upright )lie angle would exacerbate contacting the sweet-spot, and a miss would be towards the toe, or the heel.
                    Ideally, the lie of any club should be configured, accounting for shaft flex toe droop,so that the grooves are parallel to the ground at impact.

The combination of an upright and a longer shaft would in a best case scenario in a misshit predispose a toe impact. That, combined with the gear effect, would create a mini-draw ball flight.

This is were Dan's corrective True Length approach would be a problem solver for some.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                      yes the toe up( upright )lie angle would exacerbate contacting the sweet-spot, and a miss would be towards the toe, or the heel.
                      Ideally, the lie of any club should be configured, accounting for shaft flex toe droop,so that the grooves are parallel to the ground at impact.

The combination of an upright and a longer shaft would in a best case scenario in a misshit predispose a toe impact. That, combined with the gear effect, would create a mini-draw ball flight.

This is were Dan's corrective True Length approach would be a problem solver for some.
                      As not all lie angles can be adjusted, and with that, you are correct - that a TLT retrofit is often the next correct solution. By reverse engineering relative to the actual lie, my charts will specify a corrected length - rather than lie. This will bring the toe down by shortening. Today's fairway woods are getting longer and seems more upright. Must be their attempt at fixing everyone's slice again??

This is sometimes the only route to go. A little added head weight may be required to keep the swing weight feel that the player desires.
                      Regards
                      Dan

True Length Technology TM
                      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                      True Frequency Technology TM
                      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                      - Master
                      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                      - Advanced / Professional
                      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                      - Class 'A'