Collapse

St. Andrew's - what's the diff?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Andrew's - what's the diff?

so what's the difference between the two courses in the GTA: St. Andrew's Valley and St. Andrew's East? which is better? Anyone got a website for the East one?

Re: St. Andrew's - what's the diff?

Mok,

St. Andrews East is a private club so I've never played there. I've played St. Andrews Valley quite a few times though. Great course. From the back tees, it might be one of the toughest courses in all of Ontario. Also, listed in the Top 50 public/semi private.
    Last edited by Special_K; Mar 6, 2005, 01:42 AM.
    WITB:
    Driver: Cleveland Classic 290(Miyazaki)
    3W: Callaway XR Pro 3 Deep 14* (Diamana 70 I'Lima)
    2H: Adams Pro Gold(Matrix Ozik Altus)
    4-PW: Callaway X-Prototype (Aerotech Steelfiber I95)
    56: Callaway X-Forged (Dynamic Gold)
    60: Callaway X-Forged (Rifle Spinner)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Comment

St. Andrews East is private, I have not played it but have heard goods things from a couple of members I have met.
      As for St. Andrews Valley, it is very challenging, certainly in my top 5 (public) for difficult courses in the GTA. It has several really good holes that make you think off the tee. Seems to be a creek in play close to your landing area on many holes. A few holes I can't say I cared for, number 9 is contrived, the routing around the creek and through the trees is not great, confusing is one of the more charitable descriptions I have heard.
      They have a pretty good membership or package deal as well. If you play alot of rounds the costs come down significantly. It is also a pretty healthy walk, lots of ups and downs.
      The after 2:00 pm deals are pretty reasonable.I would probably play it more but the other members of my foursome do not like it as much as I do.
      Cheers.

Comment

thanks guys...i wanted to know because i only recently discovered there are two st. andrew's in the GTA.

Comment

St. Andrew's East is a private club with fewer than 1000 members. Members need to pay an annual fee of $55,000 a year (not including tax). As of the course, it looks beautiful, but I haven't played there before.

Comment

Melissa,
            $55000 is perhaps the initiation fee, but not the annual dues. That would make St Andrew's East one of the most expensive golf clubs in the world. I have met a couple of members and I know a couple of things. One, the guys I know don't pay $55K per year for golf and secondly St Andrew's Valley is not worth that much.
            The National, widely considered one of Canada's greatest clubs is only $68-75K to join with annuals under $10K.
            Melissa, are sure you did not mean $5000.00 annually?
            As for the number of members, most private courses in this area try to keep primary membership under 500. Any more than that and it becomes difficult to get tee-times. Scarborough, Cedarbrae, Weston, Islington, National are all below that number.
            Pud.

Comment

Like everyone else, I've never played the East cause its private but St. Andrew's Valley is a great course!! Definate must play. Very busy but friendly helpful staff. The back 9 is much more difficult than the front and in better condition too. Grab the 2 for 1 coupon in the Golf Access book and its an even better deal.
              "Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
              Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober."
              Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by pudubny
                Melissa,
                $55000 is perhaps the initiation fee, but not the annual dues. That would make St Andrew's East one of the most expensive golf clubs in the world. I have met a couple of members and I know a couple of things.

The National, widely considered one of Canada's greatest clubs is only $68-75K to join with annuals under $10K.
                Melissa, are sure you did not mean $5000.00 annually?
                If that's so, I'm sure the $55K is the initiation fee. Not sure what the annual is, but I'll find out .

Comment

I played St. Andrew's Valley today and it was great. The course was in decent condition given the time of year, and the layout was quite appealing, with a number of wicked old trees lording over the course. The 9th and 10th holes were a bit quirky, if not outright nasty, but otherwise I was quite impressed. A long walk though. Quite a bit of distance between greens and the next tee. I'll definitely play there again...
                  http://jesse.openflows.org

Comment

which St. Andrew's did you go to? hehe...

Originally posted by openflows
                    I played St. Andrew's Valley today and it was great.
                    Michael

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X