Modern Golf vs Golf Town fitting - my thoughts

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Modern Golf vs Golf Town fitting - my thoughts

Originally posted by Golden Domer View Post
    Fair enough and thanks for the reply. The one thing I am not doing is putting anyone down. Golf Town is great and it would be sad to see them close more stores or close down completely. I have always received wonderful service and product from GT. In terms of Modern, all they do is fit and build so I just find it a bit of an unfair comparison. Track man although designed for outdoors was used by the Callaway Rep in store and obviously modern uses Track Man in house so I was just trying to compare apples to apples on how thorough each of my diagnostics were. All in all, both are needed and necessary in our city. All we need now is 12 months of golf weather. Happy to chime in on a convo at anytime.
    Hey, completely agree. Didn't sense any hostility whatsoever in your post. What I was referring to was maybe why you saw the differences in the end product; why the Cally rep went sub zero with a stock shaft versus Jeff going standard Epic with a low spin/low launch combo. There's always more than one way to skin a dead cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Domer View Post
      Fair enough and thanks for the reply. The one thing I am not doing is putting anyone down. Golf Town is great and it would be sad to see them close more stores or close down completely. I have always received wonderful service and product from GT. In terms of Modern, all they do is fit and build so I just find it a bit of an unfair comparison. Track man although designed for outdoors was used by the Callaway Rep in store and obviously modern uses Track Man in house so I was just trying to compare apples to apples on how thorough each of my diagnostics were. All in all, both are needed and necessary in our city. All we need now is 12 months of golf weather. Happy to chime in on a convo at anytime.
      For sure! The way I saw your message I didn't think you were putting anyone down too. I just wanted to make sure people don't get the wrong idea that Trackman is better than Foresight, they each have their pros and cons, but in my opinion, Foresight offers more pros than cons =P
      Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
        There's always more than one way to skin a dead cat.
        Better be dead

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
          There's always more than one way to skin a dead cat.
          Better be dead

Comment

I'm a newbie to this website as of today, so bare with me... I did a Google search on GT golf fitting vs Modern Golf and found this website and decided to join it and learn from your comments & experiences.

I attended the Toronto Golf Show on the weekend (now I remember why I haven't attended in the last 15 years). However, 2 interesting things occured while I was there. Modern Golf had a booth and my buddy and I chatted with the rep. We have both talked about replacing our irons this year and were intrigued by what the Modern Golf rep discussed. They had an interesting offer - 50% off the posted fitting rates. The regular iron fee is $150, so it would be $75. We hummed and hawed and decided to think about it.

As most of you know if you've attended the show, there aren't many manufacturers present. Fortunately, PING was there. Since I play the PING S59's (about 10-12 years old), I decided to sample one of the irons. I asked for the G, and the Ping rep handed me a stock steel shaft (I told him I play the S59's, steel shaft) with a 7 iron head. After hitting about a dozen shots, I wasn't happy with the feel or sound and could tell I wasn't getting the distance I normally do. I'm 57 yrs old and a 14 handicap and thought I might need to go to a club like the Ping G which is considered a "game improvement" club. The rep looked at the Trackman results and indicated that my launch angle was much too high (25 degrees) and my ball spin rate was very high. He then switched the head to the i200 (considered a players iron). WOW, what a difference!! My spin rate came down quite a bit (I can't recall the numbers), and my distance was about 7 yards longer, with less dispersion. The feel of the ball coming off the club was hugely different. He did indicate that my launch angle was still about the same, and that needed to be corrected. He mentioned that a proper fitting would get it down to something more appropriate.

After experiencing this, my buddy and I marched back to Modern Golf and booked ourselves a iron fitting. I will also say that after reading many of the other posts, I will book an iron fitting at GT as well (only $60). Too much info can't hurt, can it?? I live in Ancaster and there's a GT 5 mins from my home.

I used to belong to a private club and have had fitted clubs (from driver to irons) and would NEVER buy anything without a proper fitting. The MG offer sounded reasonable and hopefully its worth it. I will either buy my iron there or GT depending on price and what the data says.

On another note, I have noticed my yardage drop off in the last 12-18 months. Specifically, I used my 8 iron exclusively for 150 yds. I was finding that in the last year I noticed I had to pull out my 7 iron for the same distance. This was confirmed by the data from Trackman at the Ping booth. They were measuring an avg of 148 yds for the i200 7-iron I was using.

I like the idea of getting the right shaft in my hand, then trying the varioius club heads to ultimately find out what is best for me...

Comment

Just an update to the Trackman vs Foresight conversation in this thread...for those who don't follow TXG on instagram, they posted a picture of their soon to be open Toronto location with Foresight GCQuads
              Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by BOZI007 View Post
                I'm a newbie to this website as of today, so bare with me... I did a Google search on GT golf fitting vs Modern Golf and found this website and decided to join it and learn from your comments & experiences.

I attended the Toronto Golf Show on the weekend (now I remember why I haven't attended in the last 15 years). However, 2 interesting things occured while I was there. Modern Golf had a booth and my buddy and I chatted with the rep. We have both talked about replacing our irons this year and were intrigued by what the Modern Golf rep discussed. They had an interesting offer - 50% off the posted fitting rates. The regular iron fee is $150, so it would be $75. We hummed and hawed and decided to think about it.

As most of you know if you've attended the show, there aren't many manufacturers present. Fortunately, PING was there. Since I play the PING S59's (about 10-12 years old), I decided to sample one of the irons. I asked for the G, and the Ping rep handed me a stock steel shaft (I told him I play the S59's, steel shaft) with a 7 iron head. After hitting about a dozen shots, I wasn't happy with the feel or sound and could tell I wasn't getting the distance I normally do. I'm 57 yrs old and a 14 handicap and thought I might need to go to a club like the Ping G which is considered a "game improvement" club. The rep looked at the Trackman results and indicated that my launch angle was much too high (25 degrees) and my ball spin rate was very high. He then switched the head to the i200 (considered a players iron). WOW, what a difference!! My spin rate came down quite a bit (I can't recall the numbers), and my distance was about 7 yards longer, with less dispersion. The feel of the ball coming off the club was hugely different. He did indicate that my launch angle was still about the same, and that needed to be corrected. He mentioned that a proper fitting would get it down to something more appropriate.

After experiencing this, my buddy and I marched back to Modern Golf and booked ourselves a iron fitting. I will also say that after reading many of the other posts, I will book an iron fitting at GT as well (only $60). Too much info can't hurt, can it?? I live in Ancaster and there's a GT 5 mins from my home.

I used to belong to a private club and have had fitted clubs (from driver to irons) and would NEVER buy anything without a proper fitting. The MG offer sounded reasonable and hopefully its worth it. I will either buy my iron there or GT depending on price and what the data says.

On another note, I have noticed my yardage drop off in the last 12-18 months. Specifically, I used my 8 iron exclusively for 150 yds. I was finding that in the last year I noticed I had to pull out my 7 iron for the same distance. This was confirmed by the data from Trackman at the Ping booth. They were measuring an avg of 148 yds for the i200 7-iron I was using.

I like the idea of getting the right shaft in my hand, then trying the varioius club heads to ultimately find out what is best for me...
                Welcome to the site. I am one of the fitting leads at the Ancaster store. If you have any questions, please PM me on here and I can discuss some things with you. I am sure between your two fits you will find something that is going to work.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by LarryCheung View Post
                  Just an update to the Trackman vs Foresight conversation in this thread...for those who don't follow TXG on instagram, they posted a picture of their soon to be open Toronto location with Foresight GCQuads
                  Fowler also switched from Trackman to Foresight...I'm sure more will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by racmbs View Post
                    Fowler also switched from Trackman to Foresight...I'm sure more will follow.
                    Good number of Foresight users on tour and definitely more to come =)
                    Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

Is there a foresight device that sits behind the golfer (like trackman)? I doesn't look to friendly to switch from left handed to right handed.

Comment

No, the device sits to the side as the cameras view the club and ball versus behind you like a TM. Talk to Larry and maybe he'll cut you a 2 Fore 1 on two GC Quads eh Larry? Huh?
                        What's in the bag?
                        TM M2
                        Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                        PING Sigma G Putter
                        Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Welcome to the site. I am one of the fitting leads at the Ancaster store. If you have any questions, please PM me on here and I can discuss some things with you. I am sure between your two fits you will find something that is going to work.

Chris
                          Thx Chris.... I'll do that in the next couple of weeks... what's the best time/day for fittings? I prefer an evening when it tends to be slower (ie Mon, Tues or Wed evenings?)

Comment

Originally posted by BOZI007 View Post
                            Thx Chris.... I'll do that in the next couple of weeks... what's the best time/day for fittings? I prefer an evening when it tends to be slower (ie Mon, Tues or Wed evenings?)
                            It's tough to predict as we sometimes get inexplicable waves of customers, but typically early evenings between about 4:30-6:30 tend to slow down. Seems to be a dinner time lull.

Comment

Originally posted by Slickstick78 View Post
                              Is there a foresight device that sits behind the golfer (like trackman)? I doesn't look to friendly to switch from left handed to right handed.
                              Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
                              No, the device sits to the side as the cameras view the club and ball versus behind you like a TM. Talk to Larry and maybe he'll cut you a 2 Fore 1 on two GC Quads eh Larry? Huh?
                              Giller is bang on, the device sits to the side as it's a camera unit, the Foresight unit can actually see how the club comes into impact and impact, as opposed to guessing. If we put the device behind the golfer, it'd be guessing

The device is super easy to switch from left handed to right handed, all you do is grab it and put it on the other side of the mat =)
                              Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

A lot of interesting info in this thread, from fitting to lessons and also the discussion about which monitor is best.

I too have been thinking about a driver fitting for a long while, I've also done a lot of research on my swing and swing flaws, have adjusted myself to swing more in to out and fixed early extension which was causing me to hit the ball off the low heal. I did all this with the simple V1 video app on my cell phone and have positive results.
                                However 1 problem persists and that is my 4000 backspin, even with a solid strike which tells me my "spin loft" is too large at impact...

I just don't think a fitting can cure this!? and although a fitting would be great, I don't think its good for me until I start hitting the ball the way I expect of myself.

now does GT also offer lessons?
                                In the bag:
                                -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
                                -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
                                -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
                                -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
                                -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...