Collapse

New laptop needed. Help

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New laptop needed. Help

my son just upgraded his iPad and shipped us his old ipad2 so we can Facetime over the holidays. He's in Alberta. I'm just learning to swipe my way through and amazed at what this Pad can do. Downside is I need glasses.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
      Bruce, I buy new PCs and Laptops for clients all the time and immediately clone to an SSD. I remove the factory hard drive, and use another PC for the cloning operation to an SSD. I use a TrueImage boot CD for cloning. I'll contact you directly and we'll get you sorted out.

The performance penalty of running a spinning disk hard drive is far too great these days. .
      What a ridiculous statement.

You make it sound like a pc / laptop is unusable with a "spinning hard drive".

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
        I remove the factory hard drive, and use another PC for the cloning operation to an SSD.
        Just a quick question. Does the Windows Licence get affected with this change in hardware ?
        Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post
          What a ridiculous statement.

You make it sound like a pc / laptop is unusable with a "spinning hard drive".
          Unusable no. Slower yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
            Unusable no. Slower yes.
            Like an Indy car is slower than a F1 ?

Comment

Honestly, an SSD drive made a huge difference on my older Mac.

Comment

For read/write speeds an SSD can speed things up quite a lot over a regular HD. A spinning HD is often the bottleneck that limits what a computer can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                  Honestly, an SSD drive made a huge difference on my older Mac.
                  I've got an older macbook pro and I think RAM is my bottleneck.

I guess it all depends on what you're using it for.

Are you running some sort of heavy duty photoshop or games or something that's more IO intensive?

I'm primarily surfing, email, some code editing and testing, and Word and excel. I usually have about 6 things open all day, with a dozen tabs in Chrome.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Honestly, if an ssd is like an F1 car, then a 5400 rpm laptop hdd is like a moped.

Comment

I certainly will NOT buy another computer without SSD for my operating system.....you can get ones that have BOTH (use the HDD for storage)
                      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

For those who have gone over to the SSD side, they'll never go back to the regular HDD.
                        I know the benefits of SSD, but I am still holding out since my Acer with i5 is still going strong enough for my mostly casual use after 4 years.

I just got my wife a Dell laptop from Microsoft's sale for $500.

6th gen i5
                        8GB RAM
                        1TB HDD
                        15.6" touch screen IPS at 1080P
                        backlit keyboard (big deal for us) and full-sized left shift key (US layout)

Great thing is that it's a 'signature' edition, which is free of bloatware.
                        In the SM C-130 cart bag:
                        Driver:
                        TM Aeroburner 9.5* Grafalloy Blackbird Stiff
                        Fairway Metals:
                        TM R9 15* 3W Stock
                        TM R9 19* 5W Stock
                        Hybrid:
                        TM Aeroburner 4H
                        Irons:
                        TM R9 5-GW
                        Wedge(s):
                        CG 588 56|08
                        CG 588 60|12
                        Putter - Odyssey 2Ball
                        Balls - NXT Tour

Comment

Originally posted by ice1124 View Post
                          For those who have gone over to the SSD side, they'll never go back to the regular HDD.
                          I know the benefits of SSD, but I am still holding out since my Acer with i5 is still going strong enough for my mostly casual use after 4 years.

6th gen i5
                          8GB RAM
                          1TB HDD

Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like a very good "starting point" machine, which I'd like to swap a 500 GB SSD into.
                          WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by smc66 View Post
                            Honestly, if an ssd is like an F1 car, then a 5400 rpm laptop hdd is like a moped.
                            ^^^ This
                            A regular 2.5" 5400/7200rpm is so slow in comparison, I guarantee you will NEVER go back once you have an SSD.

Sure it is not a necessity, but an SSD is the best money you will spend.
                            Functionally, I would take an i3 with SSD over an i7 without SSD.

If you keep your media somewhere else, than a 120GB SSD ( $55-$65 ) is all you need for Windows, your programs, and lots of breathing room.

That Microsoft-Dell laptop deal mentioned above is great buy.
                            I may direct a client to go grab a few for his expanding sales force.
                            🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                            Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                            Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                            Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                            Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                            Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                            Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Give me a caps lock light any day over a wtf is that "beep".

as for SSD, the recommended backup is to Cloud or external old school HD.
                              We know your digital life is important to you — all those apps, files, photos, and music. But here's the 50-million-dollar question: Is a solid-state drive (SSD) or a hard disk drive (HDD) the right technology for the job? What is an SSD, exactly? Read on to find out!

reminiscent of the CD vs vinyl debate, with reel2reel for backup.
                              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by ice1124 View Post

6th gen i5
                                8GB RAM
                                1TB HDD

I don't even need a computer and I'm struggling not to order one of these.....

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X