Collapse

Cabo Del Sol Golf Club - Los Cabos, Mexico

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabo Del Sol Golf Club - Los Cabos, Mexico

Pictures are at the bottom for those too lazy to read.

The last round of my trip was played at Cabo Del Sol Golf Club which consists of two 18 hole Jack Nicklaus designs. The two courses are Desert and Ocean in which I played the more famous of the two, the Ocean course. US Golf Digest had it at #70 in the top 100 of the World and for that I have some disappointing opinions.

This was my splurge course and it was between Quivira Golf Club and Cabo Del Sol Ocean Course, but after reading many reviews and due to the fact Quivira wasnt able to accommodate a tee time that worked for me, I booked Cabo Del Sol. I had a 12:50 PM tee time booked directly through the club ($220 USD). I got to the club around 12:00 PM and check in was simple and efficient. Very grand clubhouse, the most grand out of the three courses I played. Bag guy unloaded my clubs from the van and loaded it onto the cart and cleaned my clubs. Went to the range for about 25 minutes before heading off. Ended up getting paired with a really nice Father/Son combo from Virginia.

Pace was really good despite it being a pretty busy, and definitely the most busy out of all the courses I played. Regardless, as a threesome we still finished the round in 4 Hours 15 Minutes despite taking the time to take lots of photos. The course was very strict on their 4 Hour 30 Minute playing time rule and we did see marshals all over.

Found the course to be fairly challenging in part because I played from the golds, which I would not normally have done. Similar to Palmilla, a fair amount of forced carries, narrower fairways and more risk reward shot options. Wind was also a big factor as this course had the most holes on the Ocean.

For a World top 100 Course, this is my only nitpick: The course was in very mediocre condition IMO, especially in comparison to Palmilla and Puerto Los Cabos. I can understand that it probably gets the most play out of all the courses I played, but the fairways had many patches of dry spots, the tee boxes were covered in divots (albeit filled with sand) and were also very dry and crumbly and the greens had some form of left over punch marks despite it being peak season (they still rolled well despite the occasional hop). To be fair none of this really affected play significantly, just you wouldnt take a clean divot off the fairway and some hits had more bounce than I would have liked, making me have to adapt my game. Balls did roll out further and play to the contours more which I understand some people would probably prefer (not myself).

Never the less the views and scenery without question made up for this. This was hands down the nicest property of all three courses with many holes actually on or along the ocean vs just having mostly Ocean views. A few of the holes, you were literally hitting over people on the beach and built into the dunes and rocks. Without question the most WOW course and I would love to play it again in peak condition and then I would feel it was worth the splurge. The last 3 holes were hands down the best 3 hole combo and the best 3 consecutive finishing holes that I have played to date.

Water was complimentary as well as Tacos at the turn, but the Carts did not have GPS. They do however have the comfy seats similar to the carts in Magna. Cart girl did pass by frequently.

For those looking to Golf in Cabo in the future, this would be my picks:

1. Cabo Del Sol - Ocean Course (Only if in better condition to justify the higher rate, views were absolutely stunning)
    2. Puerto Los Cabos (All around it was the best course and best value, would pick over Cabo Del Sol if Value is your thing and especially if Cabo Del Sol is in mediocre condition)
    3. Palmilla (Still a solid course, just not as wow or as good value as the other two)

Below are some of the pictures I took:

Entrance

Clubhouse

Driving Range

Ocean Course
    Hole #1
    View from the Tee

View from the Fairway

Hole #2
    View from the Fairway

Hole #3
    View from the Tee

Hole #4
    View from the Tee

View from the Fairway

Hole #5
    View from the Tee

View from the Fairway

View from the Green

Hole #6 (First hole fully on the Ocean and one of the most famous holes on the course)
    View from the Tee

Panoramic

View from the Green

Hole #7 (First "hitting over the beach hole")
    View from the Tee

Panoramic

Hole #8
    View from the Tee

Hole #9
    View from the Tee

View from the Fairway

Tacos from the Halfway House

Hole #10
    View from the Tee

View from the Fairway

Hole #11
    View from the Tee

Hole #14
    View from the Green

Hole #15
    View from the Tee

View from the Fairway

Hole #16
    View from the Tee

View from the Fairway

View from the Green

Panoramic

Hole #17 (We played this hole from the Black Tees and there were literally people on the beach tanning that we were hitting over)
    View from the Tee

Panoramic

View from the Green

Hole #18
    View from the Tee

View from the Fairway

View from the Green
    Last edited by Mellowg; Jan 1, 2017, 09:57 PM.
    Driver: Fubuki Z 60 x5ct S-Flex 10 Degree Taylormade SLDR.
    Woods: Fubuki Z 65 x5ct S-Flex 16.5 Degree Taylormade SLDR 3 Wood.
    Hybrids: Fujikura Speeder 82H S-Flex 19 Degree Taylormade SLDR 3 Hybrid.
    Irons: True Temper DG S300 Titleist AP2 712 4-9 Irons.
    Wedges: True Temper DG S300 Titleist AP2 712 PW, Titleist Vokey SM5 50 Degree F Grind GW, 56 Degree F Grind SW and 60 Degree M Grind LW.
    Putter: Odyssey Versa 2 Ball. Super Stroke "The Claw" Grip.

Member of Station Creek Golf Club

Re: Cabo Del Sol Golf Club - Los Cabos, Mexico

When did you play there? I was just in Los Cabos and thought it was in exceptional shape... better than the others you played for sure.
    http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Friday December 30th.

Wasnt even comparable to Puerto from a condition standpoint. Even from the pictures you can see a lot of the dry spots on both fairway and tee boxes.

When did you play it?
      Wedges: True Temper DG S300 Titleist AP2 712 PW, Titleist Vokey SM5 50 Degree F Grind GW, 56 Degree F Grind SW and 60 Degree M Grind LW.

Comment

Thank you for posting details and photos of your trip. Looks like fun. Wish I was there. Enjoy.

Comment

I was there a day earlier than you so we got the same thing. I never noticed the brown spots but found the way the course played was great.... the fairways actually ran and allowed for shots to run on to greens whereas Puerto and Palmilla played a fair bit softer. I guess we just like different conditions.
          http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheHumbleGolfer View Post
            I was there a day earlier than you so we got the same thing. I never noticed the brown spots but found the way the course played was great.... the fairways actually ran and allowed for shots to run on to greens whereas Puerto and Palmilla played a fair bit softer. I guess we just like different conditions.

Yea I mentioned that for those people who liked the ball to play the contours of the fairway they would have enjoyed the conditions as is (and it definitely helped me out playing from the golds as I'm not a long hitter), but I definitely prefer a softer, more lush fairway.

It's all preference. But regardless the condition of the fairways, the dead patches/punch marks on some of the greens and disintegrating tee boxes was definitely not what I was expecting after playing the other courses and definitely not what I was expecting from a $200+ world top 100.

Comment

Great pics - thanks for taking the time to share...

....was a dreamy reprieve for those of us stuck in Ontario !

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X