X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TM New SLDR Driver

Originally posted by BirdieNumNum View Post
    Didn't Mizuno has created the exact same driver technology like 7 years ago
    Yup, not exactly the same though, but see post 4 in this thread for a pic...
    WITB
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha / Fubuki zt Tour / S / 9
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro FW / Aldila Tour Green / S / 13.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid / Aldila Tour Green / S / 18
    Callaway Apex Pro 4 - PW / UST Recoil 110 / F4
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Wedges / DG S300 / 52, 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura X

Comment

What I'm now truly wondering with this new sliding weight technology; does it actually work? Did they get the robot machine to hit it at each and every setting and verify/confirm that each setting actually made a difference?

After asking this question, now I'm wondering if they did the same for the R1 (with each loft, moveable weights); I doubt the face plate makes a difference at all since the robot won't ground the club; heh!

Comment

^ Mr Wishon did a test on all the different adjustable drivers and the results were messed up. When the loft on the club was changed it was usually not the same when measured. left and right tendancies were all over the place no matter what weights you changed. Some people think the testing was biased... some dont. Since we havent heard any legal troubles for Mr wishon from his report I would think at least the consistancy of the testing was the same for each driver to give an unbiased opinion.
        My personal opinion is in line with his report. I dont think the adjustments are even close to what the companies states, but I think if you tinker with the clubs enough you will find a setting that is best fit but not nessessary what is stated in the club.
        Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
        3W - Taylormade M4
        5 wood - Callaway X Hot
        4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
        Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
        Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
        Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

I will add that with a player that consistently makes solid contact with good club head speed (tour Players), all driver adjustments certainly alter launch conditions. These results diminish with less consistency and less club head speed. But then again same can be said about the cor in drivers and all the benefits of the top golf balls!

Comment

I would love to have Wishon explain to me me then why every loft setting on my R1 generates different data on a launch monitor.

I read that report. There's something about his test that nulls what the R1 does. Not sure.

But I can honestly tell you that on a proper launch monitor, and I've hit them all HD Sim, ForeSight, Trackman, FlightScope... There's huge differences between the 8 and 12 degree settings and all in between. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much time looking for the right setting.

Same goes for when we've fit customers.

Albeit, at a low swing speed, this R1 head is far too low spin for most golfers.

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
            ^ Mr Wishon did a test on all the different adjustable drivers and the results were messed up. When the loft on the club was changed it was usually not the same when measured. left and right tendancies were all over the place no matter what weights you changed. Some people think the testing was biased... some dont. Since we havent heard any legal troubles for Mr wishon from his report I would think at least the consistancy of the testing was the same for each driver to give an unbiased opinion.
            My personal opinion is in line with his report. I dont think the adjustments are even close to what the companies states, but I think if you tinker with the clubs enough you will find a setting that is best fit but not nessessary what is stated in the club.

Comment

Originally posted by FATZ View Post
              I would love to have Wishon explain to me me then why every loft setting on my R1 generates different data on a launch monitor.

I read that report. There's something about his test that nulls what the R1 does. Not sure.

But I can honestly tell you that on a proper launch monitor, and I've hit them all HD Sim, ForeSight, Trackman, FlightScope... There's huge differences between the 8 and 12 degree settings and all in between. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent so much time looking for the right setting.

Same goes for when we've fit customers.

Albeit, at a low swing speed, this R1 head is far too low spin for most golfers.
              from what I saw his data did state that something changed but the majority of the time it wasnt anywhere close to what the manufacturer suggests.
              3W - Taylormade M4
              5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
                from what I saw his data did state that something changed but the majority of the time it wasnt anywhere close to what the manufacturer suggests.
                In the article, Tom Wishon writes: 'I believe that it is simply not possible to change the loft through a hosel device which operates on the principle of changing the angle of the shaft into the clubhead.'

Far from being an expert, I read the article as: If the club face angle is measured according to industry standards (according to T. Wishon) after placing the sole in correct lie angle and its "natural rest position", the loft doesn't change substantially.

But practically, since the R1 hosel (and others) changes the angle of the shaft into the clubhead, I think most players will set up with the shaft the same way as they normally do, and thereby effectively change the loft of the club face. I know that I do, as neither the ground at the range nor at most tee decks are perfectly flat.

I think the difference here is between the definition of loft used by T. Wishon and the definition used by OEMs in their specifications.
                Last edited by TEn71; Aug 1, 2013, 01:04 PM. Reason: Unclear and being corrected ;-)

Comment

I take Wishon with a grain of salt these days...

He has his fan boys at wrx, but sells his products too.

Some of his articles have some head scratchers that have left me with my opinion of him.

There was a shaft report where he made some outrageous claims as well that I pretty much since gave up on his word.

To each their own. But I assure you in the R1's case, there was a big difference between the 8 and the 12 and everything in between.

His report showed loft measurements in a green machine, which I think it's been pointed out in other threads at WRX and here that it may skew the results of what the hozel is even doing.

Comment

I was just pointing out the article lol. I dont have enough experience, skill or consistancy to come up with my own conclusions. What I do know is I have RBZ tour and I have tried it in every position by changing the hosel adjustments and I keep going back to neutral as it seems to be the most comfortable for me. So I could care less what report says because for me its first hand experience that matters.
                    3W - Taylormade M4
                    5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

To each their own. But I assure you in the R1's case, there was a big difference between the 8 and the 12 and everything in between.

His report showed loft measurements in a green machine, which I think it's been pointed out in other threads at WRX and here that it may skew the results of what the hozel is even doing.
                      I don't disagree with you at all in there being (big) differences between the hosel settings; I bag the R1 myself. But I also know that the club head lies slightly differently on the ground if I make a loft change in the hosel and set up the shaft in the same position as I normally do.

I was basically just trying to provide my interpretation of the difference between T. Wishon's measurements and the OEM specifications. I guess I was influenced by T. Wishon's use of the term "industry standard", which I found by further research, is not necessarily the one and only truth. (And I will correct the above post accordingly.)

I will lookup the threads at WRX and here regarding the green machine; don't think I've seen/read those.

Comment

in stock at golftown Missisauga on Vega today
                        Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

^ should be in stock everywhere today as I think Aug 8th is the release date.
                          3W - Taylormade M4
                          5 wood - Callaway X Hot

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                            Here's a peek at the new TM SLDR Driver, more complications to adjust to, courtesy WRX.
                            Nice to see they went back to black club heads

Comment

Originally posted by TourM View Post
                              Nice to see they went back to black club heads
                              The SLDR is dark grey.
                              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                              Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
                                It's awesome and the best sound & feel I've had with any driver - with low spin!
                                too me taylormade drivers have always felt hard off the face,,,like hitting rocks, compared to nike,titliest,cobra drivers. is the new slder and softer feeling off the face

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X