Collapse

TM New SLDR Driver

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TM New SLDR Driver

I actually had a SLDR out on the course yesterday. As compared to my 913 D2, I actually found it was consistently producing longer drives, just a little more erratic in terms of dispersion. I will say that in my opinion, it's the nicest looking driver TM has produced in a long time, and I also like the sound and feel much more than the R1.

My biggest question, at the risk of further flogging an old topic even more to death, is how it will sell? With the R1 and RBZ Stage 2 already released this year, will there be enough people in the market for new TMaG gear? The R1 black already seemed to be the compromise for those who found th R1 and Stage 2 crown graphics too busy. Having said that, the SLDR seems to be a marketing hit so far, getting picked up on tour with both those contracted to use TaylorMade gear and some who are not, and I was also impressed with the performance too.
    WITB
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha / Fubuki zt Tour / S / 9
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro FW / Aldila Tour Green / S / 13.5
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid / Aldila Tour Green / S / 18
    Callaway Apex Pro 4 - PW / UST Recoil 110 / F4
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Wedges / DG S300 / 52, 60
    Scotty Cameron Futura X

Comment

The stat I saw was there are something like 15 million golfers in NA. And about 300,000 R1's were sold last year. So plenty of people available to buy the SLDR.

Comment

I concur - I dropped by GT on Sat to check out the SLDR - I found I liked my R1 slightly better - I didn't notice any difference in distance.

Originally posted by 5wedges
        I hit this today and found i really didnt like it compared to my R1 couldnt get the ball up in the air at all. o well still love my r1 when she listens

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
          It's awesome and the best sound & feel I've had with any driver - with low spin!
          Hit one today on the range...found the sound to be quite muted but a very nice club to hit.

Comment

Well, after hearing Charles Howell III's disqualification because of this driver, I just had to try it out at GT.

I got over the gimmicky slider pretty quick when I saw no improvement over my existing driver. I don't know if people are unaware but lead tape exists for $5 a roll and is far more flexible.
            In the Ping DLX:
            Ping K15 9.5* w/ PL Red
            Ping G20 20*, 23* (VTS 85 silver)

Ping i20 KBS 5-PW
            Tour Edge Bazooka Jmax carbon steel 52* & 60*

Scotty Golo
            Srixon Z-Star yellow

Comment

Originally posted by hammy1983 View Post
              ^ should be in stock everywhere today as I think Aug 8th is the release date.
              Was in Barrie GT Saturday but they had no stock yet as the guy he said maybe this week

Comment

I was expecting much but wow, finally a TM driver to replace my old Snedeker Burner. Now I know why he switched as well

For anyone who doesn't find success with it at first, play around with the dial. I found it felt horrible at first, but once I got the right setting it was really long but most of all, insanely forgiving. Can't wait to try it on the course.

Also, I tried a 9.5 head and it was spinning insanely low, I definitely will try the 10.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Rorange View Post
                  I was expecting much but wow, finally a TM driver to replace my old Snedeker Burner. Now I know why he switched as well

For anyone who doesn't find success with it at first, play around with the dial. I found it felt horrible at first, but once I got the right setting it was really long but most of all, insanely forgiving. Can't wait to try it on the course.

Also, I tried a 9.5 head and it was spinning insanely low, I definitely will try the 10.5.
                  THATS what I found too. Might be in my bag later this week.

Comment

So i tried the SLDR TP 10.5 x flex on tuesday and i must say i love the colour looking down at the dark grey was a nice change. Now that looks are out of the way lets talk about hitting. i found the sound of the club was nice, not that Bang! or shotgun sound of the r11s or r1 as for flight i had it set to neutral no tinkering around with the slide or the loft nice mid flight in to the screen, i saw my regular fade which was nice and the difference in yards wasn't much maybe 5-10 yards. cant wait to demo this outside see what it can do.

my over all i do not think my r11s is leaving my bag for a few years maybe with a new paint job. I think that the sldr is just the start just like the r7 was with the mwt so we will see a asp on the next club to come out i am sure of it
                    M1 460
                    SLDR 3HL
                    Rescue tp 09
                    R
                    SI
                    TP Forged 4-9
                    R EF 47, 51, 55, 60
                    Ghost Tour Daytona 12
                    TM Tour Preferred X

Comment

Originally posted by NestmanJ View Post
                      So i tried the SLDR TP 10.5 x flex on tuesday and i must say i love the colour looking down at the dark grey was a nice change. Now that looks are out of the way lets talk about hitting. i found the sound of the club was nice, not that Bang! or shotgun sound of the r11s or r1 as for flight i had it set to neutral no tinkering around with the slide or the loft nice mid flight in to the screen, i saw my regular fade which was nice and the difference in yards wasn't much maybe 5-10 yards. cant wait to demo this outside see what it can do.

my over all i do not think my r11s is leaving my bag for a few years maybe with a new paint job. I think that the sldr is just the start just like the r7 was with the mwt so we will see a asp on the next club to come out i am sure of it
                      I second that opinion. I only had the 11S for a couple of months and then the R1 came out. I found I hit the 11S with more control. I'm still tinkering with the R1 and it seems to be a hit and miss with that club.
                      Stephen

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 9.5 with Aldila RIP Gamma 60
                      3/5/Rescue Woods: TaylorMade R7
                      Irons: Titleist 716 AP2's Dynamic Gold S300 shafts
                      Wedges: Cleveland 52; PING 56; Titleist Vokay SM4 - 60-7 degree
                      Putter: Ping

Comment

I love my R1 again. Its typically 'love' or 'hate' with her! Hated her my last golf outing at Century Pines but loved her at Lake Joseph the week before! Reason I love her now was because I was hitting long and straight ones at the range yesterday; lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                          Here's a peek at the new TM SLDR Driver, more complications to adjust to, courtesy WRX.
                          I have a feeling the next TM driver will have SLDR technology but they'll somehow improve on/modify it, the loft sleeve will have ALL lofts again similar to the R1, and will come in either White or Black.

Comment

Shaft for shaft, the SLDR difference was minimal vs R1.

I had a bit less spin, sure... But my R1 was fitted with Kiyoshi White at a perfect spin rate.

Anything lower, the ball loses Carry.

There was no significant gain in yards or ballspeed.

Could the claims be based on stock shaft vs stock shaft?

Comment

Originally posted by FATZ View Post
                              Shaft for shaft, the SLDR difference was minimal vs R1.

I had a bit less spin, sure... But my R1 was fitted with Kiyoshi White at a perfect spin rate.

Anything lower, the ball loses Carry.

There was no significant gain in yards or ballspeed.

Could the claims be based on stock shaft vs stock shaft?
                              I'm assuming you mean: Aldila RIP Phenom 55 (R1) vs Fujikura Speeder 57 (SLDR)? I'm no club expert at all but I noticed that BOTH (in regular flexes) weighed exactly the same, had the same amount of tourque, and similar launch characteristics so would they basically perform exactly the same to one another?

Comment

I tried both the slider and R1 with many shafts at MG.

My dispersion was actually better with the R1. Distance was similar.

Therefore, I went for the cheaper (and better for me) R1.

Bladerunner

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X