What my TLT set looks like...

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What my TLT set looks like...

Originally posted by danscustomgolfshop View Post
    If the shafts are steel, then lead powder and a cork can be used - down the shaft and stays hidden. Jeff's set were graphite so there are less options.

You may need to replace the grips if they cannot be pulled / saved. This is at least cheaper than pulling the shaft and adding tip weights.
    This is what I use rather Than pulling or replacing the grips Dan

GolfWorks Canada is a fully stocked retail store specializing in golf club components, custom fittings and golf club repairs. We offer the largest selection of golf grips, shafts, heads and accessories in the industry.
    JIM
    Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
    TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
    Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

Yes I do have one of those Jim . Thanks for the reminder.

Originally posted by Kona Golf View Post
      This is what I use rather Than pulling or replacing the grips Dan

http://www.golfworks.ca/the-golfwork...saver/p/SAVER/
      Regards
      Dan

True Length Technology TM
      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
      True Frequency Technology TM
      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
      - Master
      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
      - Advanced / Professional
      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
      - Class 'A'

Comment

Just got my clubs back. So excited look and feel great! Stupid crappy weather stopping me from testing them.

A synopsis of what was done:
        Driver untouched
        3w cut down almost an inch (SW brought up)
        5w untouched
        3h cut down to 39.4" (was over 40.25 iirc)
        4i-58* redone.

4i went from 38.5" to 38.1"
        58* went from 35.2" to 36.35"

All wedges ( PW 52 and 58) all same length at 36.35" 9i is at 36.5"

SW progress from basically D2 (4i) upto a D4.5 at PW then D7 52 and E0 at 58.

Dans attention to detail is impeccable. Can't wait to try these out. Unfortunately all I could do was chip in the backyard and let me tell you the heavier and longer wedges are gonna be great (my back no longer kills from bending over so much to pitch it) chipping is the same except it feels heavier and promotes a smoother stroke!

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
          ...chipping is the same except it feels heavier and promotes a smoother stroke!
          Would be curious to learn your feedback when you attempt a full swing with your "heavy" wedges, especially if it comes after hitting one of your lighter irons ?
          Thanks and cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
            Would be curious to learn your feedback when you attempt a full swing with your "heavy" wedges, especially if it comes after hitting one of your lighter irons ?
            Thanks and cheers !
            Lighter irons wil increase speed, heavy,should slow you down. The heavy putter comes to mind some how.

Comment

I never did take full swings with my 58 before (would be just high 50y shots that sometimes i skull or hit fat) so I'll try now and advise how it is

My 52 I used to take full swings all the time was my 105y club. At D7 it's heavier but feels great taking swings in backyard. Very smooth. Haven't hit a ball yet.

Hopefully weather holds up and I can play next week thurs or Fridays

Comment

I never did take full swings with my 58 before (would be just high 50y shots that sometimes i skull or hit fat) so I'll try now and advise how it is
                My 52 I used to take full swings all the time was my 105y club. At D7 it's heavier but feels great taking swings in backyard. Very smooth. Haven't hit a ball yet.
                Hopefully weather holds up and I can play next week thurs or Fridays
                Thanks so much for all your feedback on your new clubs - very much appreciated. And yes, pls. report how did your full swing go.
                Cheers and best of luck
                Last edited by veryold; Oct 22, 2016, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I just got to the range and i must say Dans a genious.

I was much more comfortable over the ball with all clubs. As for the heavy wedges. I liked them. Made me have a nice smooth swing and longer was great. My chipping and pitching was the best it's ever been.

As for the clubs 3w-PW. TLT is no magic cure. You still need to put on a good swing. However it is definetly easier. I felt like I had maybe 3 swings instead of 10...

My 3w was much better shortened off the deck (much easier to get flush contact)
                  My 3h also got easier to flush. Less hooks too

The 4i and 5i felt much more comfortable over the ball and great to swing again needs a flush shot to go. Was flushing them more often.

6I to my PW was great. Literally felt like 1 swing only. Seeing as my 6i is 37.35 and my wedges are 36.35" so 1" only.

So essentially I felt like I had:
                  Driver swing
                  Wood/hybrid swing
                  Long iron (4/5i)
                  6i-58*

The amazing part was when I had a club in my hand I couldn't tell what it was (everything looked and felt the same. Even the 4i I felt like I had only 1 setup position for all irons)

My misses were much less severe (nothing super chunky or super thin unless a terrible swing)

My distances and dispersion I couldn't tell as it was 6* with a 45kph wind lol. Felt like I was hitting rocks while pissing into the wind.

TLT definetly does what it intends. Simplifies the swing (essentially similar to single length but not quite the same) me personally I Duno if I could do single length irons. Maybe 4i-PW only but even then I'd want wedges at 36.35 max.

Comment

There are a few who are talking about 'heavy wedges' when in fact - yes they are swing weight heavier than they were when they came to me, but the reality is - they were too light originally.

The last couple of sets I worked on had gap wedges at C9 - D1 or 2, which I consider to be extremely light. I personally could never play wedges at these specifications. After the retrofits they are up towards a D7 - which is where most people will find has a very good 'head' feel. Too light and you cannot sense where the head is during your backswing.

There are certainly times where I will have a sand wedge jump up into a low E swingweight, and this is often due to the combination of a heavy shaft and a heavy head - designed to be a 35 to 35 1/2 inch wedge -- which is simply too short for most players. But the reports back to me are 'no problem - I like the heavier head for a sand wedge and the club performs wonderfully'. Most of the guys who end up with longer sand wedges are big men - who express that the few grams (and that is all we are talking about) is absolutely no problem.

Not every TLT set will end up with 'long and heavier wedges'. This only happens when the players height is up near 6 feet or more. If you are less than 6 feet then chances are the fit will reveal that excessive length short clubs are not required. Remember that there are 16 adult fitting charts that fit the petite to the giant. Petite players will often end up with shorter than OEM standard wedges - but the trick here is to keep the lie flat - enabling the length to stay reasonable.

Jason, glad to hear things have the initial feel good - feel to them, but like I tell all my players - it will probably take 5 rounds to make everything feel natural - and consistent. As old habits and out of spec clubs are hard to break free from.
                    Regards
                    Dan

True Length Technology TM
                    Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
                    True Frequency Technology TM
                    - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
                    - Master
                    Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
                    - Advanced / Professional
                    Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
                    - Class 'A'

Comment

Yah by no stretch do I find any of my clubs heavy. My 52*@ D7 feels amazing as does my 58@ E0

They are "heavy" compared to Some OEM specs but realistically they aren't heavy at all.

And yes I can see it's gonna take some time to break free of habits. I never had a consistant swing to begin with however I can see how TLT will get me there easily.

Comment

Yah by no stretch do I find any of my clubs heavy. My 52*@ D7 feels amazing as does my 58@ E0

They are "heavy" compared to Some OEM specs but realistically they aren't heavy at all.

And yes I can see it's gonna take some time to break free of habits. I never had a consistant swing to begin with however I can see how TLT will get me there easily.
                        Remember that it's SWingweight, which is not a unit of weight or anything to do with actual club heaviness at all. It's only an alphanumeric code /indication of the distribution of weight in a club. Higher swingweight , more of the clubs weight distributed towards the head, low swingweight more towards the grip end.

A club with a swing weight of C2 can easily be a heavier club in actual total weight than one with a swingweight of E2. I can build a sledgehammer with a swingweight of C2 and an ultralight driver with one that is E5

That said, extending your wedges from 35.75 /36 to 36.5 can add a few grams to total weight as well but as a percentage of total weight it's insignificant IMO.

I agree with Dan, wedges with low head feel ( sw) D2 or less just downt play as well as heavier and heavier head feel wedges.
                        Last edited by Weirfan; Oct 22, 2016, 08:13 PM.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I just think dan is a genious when it comes to The concept of TLT.

The only thing I could see being better would be single length irons. However I'm not sure I could tolerate a 37" wedge. But having just 1 iron swing is huge.

However I feel that TLT still gives you that single iron swing or close to it.

I'm suprised more fitters don't use The TLT model.

I remember having a conversation with dan while I was there about other fitters and launch monitors. I agree that LM data can be pretty useless if you don't have a consistant swing. Sure the right head shaft and flex can help. However you still have almost 12 different swings. I could only imagine how amazing some ppl could get clubs Dialed in with a TLT fitting and then developing a consistant swing. Then getting on a LM

Comment

So, am i totally of base here in concluding:
                            Conventional: similar swing weights, varied lengths
                            TLT: similar lengths, varied swing weights
                            SL: same lengths, same swing weights.

Choices, choices
                            Last edited by veryold; Oct 24, 2016, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Honestly TLT is much more then just similar length and progressive SW.

My TLT set has just under 1.75" discrepancy. However his traditional model is closer to 3" most traditional sets are over 3.5"+ (38.5"+ long iron and a 35" wedge) I opted for the shorter long irons as they are not my strong suit.

TLT is Moreso about optimizing your lie angle in correspondence with a proper length progression.

As for progressive SW you have essentially an MOI matched set (although dan doesn't actually MOI match but the feel is very similar)

In my opinion traditional sets with SW matching is junk. 1) conventional length progression and lie angle progression don't match up. 2) SW is an arbitrary scale based on a 14" fulcrum point. D2 on a 46" driver feels very different then D2 on a 35" wedge.

So even though my SW vary from D1-D7 (I won't count my outlier 58*) my clubs all feel the same when swing.

All future clubs for me will be TLT or SL

Comment

Played my first TLT round today at Lowville, blue tees. I managed an 87. About 7 more than I should normally shoot there. I was a little concerned about hearing some of the first few inflated rounds with the new set-up. My swing was a bit off today. Too much technical crap bouncing around between the ears. I was too controlling with the swing.

Afterwards, I played another 7 on the front nine all by my lonesome before nightfall. Swing was back by just letting it go and trusting the longer irons. Kept dropping extra balls in the fairway to get an honest feel and was really grooving it.

The biggest challenge today was getting my 54/58° distances dialled in. I think another couple of rounds will do me well. So overall I’m pleased with my first TLT round. I will be using my 4i much more in the future. Thanks again Dan for your expertise. Will try and get out again this week.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X