Clear All

• 2016 at the Markland Wood Golf Club

Click image for larger version

Name:	No 1 walkers, cropped.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2482563

Dear TGN Members,

Please accept this short note as an introduction of our golf club to the TGN community.

Located on Bloor street, just west of the 427, the Markland Wood Golf Club is perfectly located for anyone who lives or works in the center, or west end of Toronto. Established in 1964, our club has long been an integral part of the Etobicoke and Mississauga golfing landscape.

For those entertaining membership options for the coming year, in addition to full shareholding membership, we offer the following programs:
    • Flexible Trial Membership
    • Intermediate Membership
    • Junior Membership
    • Corporate and Social Membership
    • Ladies League Programming

Being new to TGN, I will do my best to respond to inquiries through the website, but please feel free to connect with me at any time. If you're in the neighbourhood and would like to stop by, please feel free to set up a time with me to chat further. I look forward to hearing about your game!

Best regards,

Liam O'Neil, CPGA
    Membership & Marketing Manager
    Markland Wood Golf Club
    416 621 2260, ext 243
    membership@marklandwood.com

Re: 2016 at the Markland Wood Golf Club

Originally posted by MWGC1964 View Post
    [ATTACH]71482[/ATTACH]

Dear TGN Members,

Please accept this short note as an introduction of our golf club to the TGN community.

Located on Bloor street, just west of the 427, the Markland Wood Golf Club is perfectly located for anyone who lives or works in the center, or west end of Toronto. Established in 1964, our club has long been an integral part of the Etobicoke and Mississauga golfing landscape.

For those entertaining membership options for the coming year, in addition to full shareholding membership, we offer the following programs:
    • Flexible Trial Membership
    • Intermediate Membership
    • Junior Membership
    • Corporate and Social Membership
    • Ladies League Programming

Being new to TGN, I will do my best to respond to inquiries through the website, but please feel free to connect with me at any time. If you're in the neighbourhood and would like to stop by, please feel free to set up a time with me to chat further. I look forward to hearing about your game!

Best regards,

Liam O'Neil, CPGA
    Membership & Marketing Manager
    Markland Wood Golf Club
    416 621 2260, ext 243
    membership@marklandwood.com
    www.marklandwood.com
    Welcome to TGN. The club certainly has a great reputation among the members here
    What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
    TM Rescue 17*
    TM M2 4-AW
    TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
    Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Welcome Liam,

I'm a big fan of the course although it tends to get the better of me
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Liam,
        Welcome, it was a pleasure working with you in 2014!

Fellow GTN members, I can't stress enough how professional Liam is, and the layout @ Markland Wood is quite unique and beautiful.

It is a good test of skill and mind, with an amazing membership basis (this coming from someone on the service side).

If I was still in the golf business, I would still be @ Markland Wood.

Adam Coughlin
        Essex Golf & CC
        Ping G400 LST AD-DI 6S
        Titleist 915F 16.5 AD-DI 7S
        Titleist 915F 21 AD-DI 7S
        Nike VrProII 4-Pw KBStour S
        Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58M KBStour S
        Titleist Newport 2 Custom Shop
        ProV1X

Comment

Thanks Ace!

I hope your season gets off to a great start...

Best regards,

Liam
          MWGC

Comment

Thanks Weirfan!

The course can sure bite you if you're not careful! Folks learn a lot about their games playing Markland - they get a bit strategic in their approach.

Have an awesome start to 2016, WF!

Best,

Liam
            MWGC
            416 621 2260

Comment

AC!

Great to hear from you, sir! Thanks for the kind words, and I look forward to seeing you if you find yourself back in the neighbourhood this year...

Hope all's well!

Best,

Liam
              MWGC
              416 621 2260, ext 243

Comment

My colleague at work, Rick McCallum has nothing but great things to say about Markland Woods with great praises to the greens super.
                Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                3W - Taylormade M4
                5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by SoftDraw
                  Hi guys,Thinking about signing on at Markland Wood. Are there any members who can tell me a little more about the club atmosphere? I'll be joining as a single (not with any friends alongside me) and as an intermediate... Is the club a little bit cliquey or is it easy to find a tee-time with as a single?What is the age profile? Many intermediates?
                  How does the golf work at the weekend? Is it a competition or playing casual golf?What's the pace of play like?Are tee-times easy to get?With thanks,
                  SD.
                  Maybe some body will move this to a better place for you to get more responses than mine, as I have no clue about the place.
                  Also, you can use the search feature at the top of the main page and find a ton of information on the club.
                  Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Played it in a charity tournament last year and loved the course.

Comment

My father is a member so I have the pleasure of playing a few times every year. Words to describe the fairways, greens and bunkers would be outstanding, pristine and immaculate. I can't speak to the club atmosphere for an intermediate member but I have played on the GTAAM tour with an intermediate member and he raves about it.

The pro shop staff are friendly and outgoing.

They have a new state of the art training facility, it is awesome!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SoftDraw
                        Hi guys,

Thinking about signing on at Markland Wood.

Are there any members who can tell me a little more about the club atmosphere?

I'll be joining as a single (not with any friends alongside me) and as an intermediate... Is the club a little bit cliquey or is it easy to find a tee-time with as a single?

What is the age profile? Many intermediates?

How does the golf work at the weekend? Is it a competition or playing casual golf?

What's the pace of play like?

Are tee-times easy to get?

With thanks,

SD.
                        Hey Softdraw,
                        Approximately this time last year, I was you.
                        I signed up at Markland as a Trial member last winter.
                        And I pulled the trigger and joined as a full member.

I'll try to answer your questions.
                        I'll answer them here instead of a PM in case anyone else might have similar questions:

Atmosphere: Not snobby. Not at all. If you are like me at all you might be freaked out about a "Toronto Private Golf Club", and the attitudes. In short, there are none. Everyone is approachable. It is much more a Golf Club than a Country Club.

Tee times: Very easy to find times as a single. That's how I did a lot of my times at the start of last year. They actually leave one open time every hour for walk ons, including weekends. Everyone is very open to letting you join in with them. It's easy. And that's not lip service. It's really easy. Easier than I thought it was going to be.

Age profile is quite varied. There are quite a few intermediates. (I'm not one, but played with a bunch of them). You will not be the only under 40 guy in a sea of fossils.

On the weekends, there are a couple of groups that have a money game that are welcoming to new participants. But you don't have to play in them. And it's not huge groups of guys... easy to avoid if you want. There are a bunch of match play events, mens night events, etc, that are there if you want to scratch a competitive itch. But the majority of the golf/golfers are just there to enjoy their weekend rounds of golf.

In my opinion, the trial membership is a complete no brainer.

Here is the thread I put up last year that convinced me to give it a shot:
                        Chat about your favourite, best and worse Toronto golf courses. Share experiences or ask questions about Golf Courses and Country Clubs in the GTA, Ontario, Canada, or top golf travel destinations.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Edit: Forgot to mention pace of play. Most rounds are 3:45-4:00. I've had a couple that were slower, more than a couple that were faster. But the majority are in that range.
                        Last edited by Pubknight; Mar 14, 2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pubknight View Post
                          Hey Softdraw,
                          Approximately this time last year, I was you.
                          I signed up at Markland as a Trial member last winter.
                          And I pulled the trigger and joined as a full member.

I'll try to answer your questions.
                          I'll answer them here instead of a PM in case anyone else might have similar questions:

Atmosphere: Not snobby. Not at all. If you are like me at all you might be freaked out about a "Toronto Private Golf Club", and the attitudes. In short, there are none. Everyone is approachable. It is much more a Golf Club than a Country Club.

Tee times: Very easy to find times as a single. That's how I did a lot of my times at the start of last year. They actually leave one open time every hour for walk ons, including weekends. Everyone is very open to letting you join in with them. It's easy. And that's not lip service. It's really easy. Easier than I thought it was going to be.

Age profile is quite varied. There are quite a few intermediates. (I'm not one, but played with a bunch of them). You will not be the only under 40 guy in a sea of fossils.

On the weekends, there are a couple of groups that have a money game that are welcoming to new participants. But you don't have to play in them. And it's not huge groups of guys... easy to avoid if you want. There are a bunch of match play events, mens night events, etc, that are there if you want to scratch a competitive itch. But the majority of the golf/golfers are just there to enjoy their weekend rounds of golf.

In my opinion, the trial membership is a complete no brainer.

Here is the thread I put up last year that convinced me to give it a shot:
                          Chat about your favourite, best and worse Toronto golf courses. Share experiences or ask questions about Golf Courses and Country Clubs in the GTA, Ontario, Canada, or top golf travel destinations.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Edit: Forgot to mention pace of play. Most rounds are 3:45-4:00. I've had a couple that were slower, more than a couple that were faster. But the majority are in that range.
                          Thanks PubKnight, that was just the kind of member's insight I was looking for.

Excellent original thread too - I will be coming from Liberty Village/Queen West area so it was particularly relevant. Going to go down and meet them soon, and failing any surprises, I may see you out there.

Comment

Originally posted by SoftDraw View Post
                            Thanks PubKnight, that was just the kind of member's insight I was looking for.

Excellent original thread too - I will be coming from Liberty Village/Queen West area so it was particularly relevant. Going to go down and meet them soon, and failing any surprises, I may see you out there.
                            My pleasure.
                            I think you will be very happy with the decision to try it out.
                            My only regret was that I didn't do it a decade ago.

And the new practice facility is really nice, it opened during the 2016 season.
                            Liam, who you will speak with, is great for setting you up with some games if you wish.

They make it quite easy to feel at home there.

Comment

If I lived in the city, this would be on my list
                              My buddy is a social member there, we meet up for a beer and dinner every once in while in the clubhouse. Good beer, pretty good food ( at least better than what they pass off as food at mine ) and very reasonably priced

It seems every time we are there, the dining room is busy. Summer or winter. Varied age groups.

I get reciprocal at MWGC through the Private Club Network and always enjoy going over there to play.... Conditions are always good

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X