/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Strike Rule 14-4 Ball Struck More than Once?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strike Rule 14-4 Ball Struck More than Once?

Originally posted by rulie View Post
    Golf has 34 Rules; last time I looked, ice hockey (NHL) had 87 Rules, and it's also played in identical/controlled areas (excepting size in some rinks). Of course, the rules for hockey are not universal around the world (golf only has one set of rules worldwide).
    Ok, but like French grammar, every rule has multiple exceptions, and then there are exceptions to the exceptions....

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
      I am told that Lawn Tennis has more Rules than Golf.

But because the course and situations encountered are not so complex the are fewer decisions
      In tennis the double carry( similar to a double hit) rule has been amended

In platform tennis the rule has been amended:

That being said imho double carries and double hits are very poorly executed shots and should be penalised.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post

That being said imho double carries and double hits are very poorly executed shots and should be penalised.
        So every poorly exected shot should be penalized on top of the poor result? Double hits are flukes more than execution errors. If they are worth the extra stroke penalty, then so should skulls and shanks be penalized an added stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by Galted View Post
          So every poorly exected shot should be penalized on top of the poor result? Double hits are flukes more than execution errors. If they are worth the extra stroke penalty, then so should skulls and shanks be penalized an added stroke.
          A skulled and a shank usually end up either way away from the pin or into the woods or a water hasard behind the green. Hence there is no need to add a stroke What could have been par or bogey can easily turn into a 7.
          Don't get me wrong. I hate double hits but when they occur I know I've executed a very bad stroke.

Comment

A skull, shank, duck hook, wild slice, top, duff or the best shot you have ever played should go wherever it has been directed by your stroke without any further influence from you. That is fundamental to golf. If anything you are responsible for intervenes after your ball has been set in motion and changes where the ball will end up, you should not be allowed to gain any possible advantage from that intervention. That would be inequitable. As with other rules, the penalty stroke is not a punishment, but a balancing out to ensure fairness to other players. It's an extreme and no doubt improbable example, but it illustrates the point: would you think it equitable if a fellow competitor's double hit off the tee at a short par 3 was holed and counted as a hole in one?

Comment

Double hits are flukes more than execution errors. .
              Not a fluke. My playing partner double hits 10 to 12 times a year.
              His follow through is way too long as he tries to put the ball to the hole as he does when he is putting. Same as this guy

Comment

round 3, hole 18, second shot is a double hit. Notice how even after seeing the replay she still thinks it was not a double hit.Later the USGA applied the pe...

A chip like this for a three, is holed. Her score is 3?

Maybe time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG0qfI8syG0

A chip like this for a three, is holed. Her score is 3?

Maybe time to move on.
                  This isn't a good example IMO. She hits a poor shot and gets a great result. This would be the same as skulling it, having it hit the flag and drop into the hole. Or bouncing in off a tree near the green.

Your earlier (first?) example about multiple hits on the putting green is much better. That could be manipulated into essentially stick-handling the ball into the cup and should be disallowed.

From there, you can extend the rule to apply to any double hit for simplicity and convenience, but the argument that a bad stroke could get a lucky result doesn't hold.
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Is a shank a double-hit, once off the hosel and onto the clubface?

Comment

by the letter of the law, if it hits two parts of your club, would it not? Tough to prove or even determine without high def slow mo replay though.
                      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                        by the letter of the law, if it hits two parts of your club, would it not? Tough to prove or even determine without high def slow mo replay though.
                        But once it's shown to be true by high-def slomo studies, it could be applied every time with confidence.

Comment

But once it's shown to be true by high-def slomo studies, it could be applied every time with confidence.
                          yes and no. I think you can hit both the hosel and face simultaneously.

And further, it would be easy to test, the technology more than exists right now.

what happens here? It would appear it hits the hosel, then rolls across the club face. The ball never seems to lose contact with the clubface though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                            Wouldn't that only apply if the ball hits the face, releases from the face - no longer in contact, then hits the hosel? That sounds unlikely to me. It's more likely that the ball is in contact with both the hosel and the face at the same time - not a double hit, just a lousy one.
                            In the bag:
                            R15 12° PXV 6.0
                            SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
                            Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
                            Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
                            Vokey SM5 54, 58
                            Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Not sure it hits the clubface at all. Most clubs have a bit off offset i.e the hosel ahead of the club face. In a shank the hosel hits the ball first and usually travels a lot farther than a double hit

Comment

Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post
                                Wouldn't that only apply if the ball hits the face, releases from the face - no longer in contact, then hits the hosel? That sounds unlikely to me. It's more likely that the ball is in contact with both the hosel and the face at the same time - not a double hit, just a lousy one.
                                It could depend on how high up you hit the hosel. I have no idea but some scientists with some high speed cameras could certainly figure it out.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X