Collapse

Modern Golf vs Golf Town fitting - my thoughts

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Golf vs Golf Town fitting - my thoughts

Over the holidays, I went for a driver fitting at modern golf and then golf town (the next day) for reasons I will explain. Thought my observations could be useful to some people.

Firstly, modern golf.. My fitting was done by Matt Sim. He was a nice guy and patient, knew his stuff. The facilities are impeccable and very cool.
    My real complaint about MG is that their business model is built around selling custom order clubs that are only the latest and greatest. You will not be able to test against any older year models or shafts, really at all. For example, when I went on December 28 the 2016 m1 heads were no longer available as custom orders from taylormade and the 2017 models were also not out yet. Therefore they had no M drivers available to hit... It was explained to me that it didn't make business sense for them to demo things they can't custom build for you. I thought this was a bit silly as,the fittings are not free (150 plus tax) and it seems to me that if you are going to charge that much you should keep those options available.

In the end I was fit into a 917 driver with a speeder evo iii shaft. This is roughly an 900 dollar driver and shaft combo, which I am never spending tbh. Matt did tell me that the evo tour spec was similar to this shaft and widely available... However this shaft was not available to test (common theme). Also, there were no 915 driver heads to see if the prior model would do the trick just as well as the 917.

MG can't just keep every shaft and driver head ever made in Stock, so all of this is totally understandable - just know that whatever ends up being the best fit for you will be at minimum a full priced brand new driver which are pushing 600 bucks now even without an exotic shaft...

I would summarize MG as being a place for rich people or aspiring professional players etc. Who are willing to spend any amount to get performance. I am not this person... So...

The next day I went to Golf town whitby and was fit by Andre Leblanc. He was also awesome and my swing was pretty terrible on this particular day but he was very patient and accommodating. For comparison, this fitting ended up running almost as long as the MG fitting for only 40 dollars plus tax. The hitting bays at golf town are pedestrian compared to the glory of MG, but I found the numbers and data to be equally accurate and useful.

The real benefit of a golf town fitting is that you can hit absolutely anything in the store - demos, clearance, current models, etc. And I did find that they had many of the stock and no upcharge options available. They seemed to actually have the opposite problem, that they were waiting for the newest 2017 fitting stuff and thus had all last year's stuff... Which was great for me because I wanted to find something I could actually buy.

I ended up being fit into an M1 430 2016 model with kuro tini. The numbers from this driver were basically the same as the 917 with evo once everything was dialed in. The difference was, I could have bought this driver and walked out of golf town for 450 due to boxing week. But of course, I deal hoed on the interwebs and ended up building this driver for less than 300 bucks.

In summary, I would say that if you are just a regular guy who is a decent golfer and want to make sure you are buying the right driver, save 110 dollars and go to Golf town.

If you don't care about money or are an elite or wannabe elite golfer who wants to walk out with a 1000 dollar absolute best of the best club, go to modern golf.

Keep in mind that for the average golfer I really believe golf town can get you similar results using all the clubs available in a golf town store. You might find that something crazy on sale is actually the best fit for you.

Modern golf was a cool experience and I don't regret going to see it for myself, but what I learned in the end is I am just not ballin enough or skilled enough to benefit from modern golf's facilities and business philosophy.

Re: Modern Golf vs Golf Town fitting - my thoughts

Absolutely correct. I have never been to Modern Golf, however have been to GT a million times for a variety of reasons. GT can afford to have a guy spend an hour fitting somebody, or two hours for that matter. Most of the workers are just wandering around anyways and profits come from so many different products and services whereas MG could not afford to have the "tire kickers" coming in and out testing demos and older drivers only to buy them online or at GT. You said it, some places are not open for the average joe. Cheers
    M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
    M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
    Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
    Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
    TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Wait, you went to Golftown, used their time and expertise for $40 to find what you wanted, you claim to support them, then you went and bought the product elsewhere?

And we wonder why Golftown just went through bankruptcy and closed stores. Keep showing support like that and there will be no Golftown for you to go to.

Lastly, you had a driver in hand that worked for you then you went out and bought a different head and different shaft that I guarantee are not the same as the one you hit at Golftown despite what is stamped in the head and shaft.

Comment

Well said. Its also hard to believe a complete and legit M1 was purchased online for $300 all in. I guess it could have been used a couple seasons.. I find it hard to save any money at all online for good clubs. And to spend $200 on the fitting, one would assume the investment cost wouldn't be a huge issue. GT is great for finding what you want. They let you hit anything in the store, and for free! Many times I like to fit myself. i buy whatever feels, looks, and gives me the best numbers i see on the screen. Man its snowing. Golf is so far away.
        M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
        M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
        Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
        Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
        TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron View Post
          Wait, you went to Golftown, used their time and expertise for $40 to find what you wanted, you claim to support them, then you went and bought the product elsewhere?

And we wonder why Golftown just went through bankruptcy and closed stores. Keep showing support like that and there will be no Golftown for you to go to.

Lastly, you had a driver in hand that worked for you then you went out and bought a different head and different shaft that I guarantee are not the same as the one you hit at Golftown despite what is stamped in the head and shaft.
          At least he paid for the fitting. So much better than the guys that ho the sim for hours then buy online.

I agree with your point that whatever he buys off the web won't be the club that worked for him in the fitting. I'm a huge believer in taking the exact club that worked for you in the sim. No need to go to the rack and pick out a brand new one, you just don't know what you're going to get.

@OP: Thanks for the detailed reviews. I've toyed with the idea of going to MG but I think I'm not really in their target market, both in terms of skill and money.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
            @OP: Thanks for the detailed reviews. I've toyed with the idea of going to MG but I think I'm not really in their target market, both in terms of skill and money.
            Another factor to consider is that many OEMs now have no cost shaft upgrades at Golftown. Perhaps a high end shaft available at MG may be a bit better fit but the cost may certainly out weigh the minuscule benefits for many of us regular golfers.

Comment

I agree with this completely.

However the golftown I've been to don't have many of the no charge upgrade shafts in their demo carts.

I find GT demo carts great for irons but lacking for woods. Is there a specific GT uve been to that has a good selection?

Woodbridges selection is terrible and Auroras was even worse last I checked.

I purchase all of my stuff at golftown but sometimes I wish they had more options to try. Most of my stuff is a shot in the dark with the shaft and then I gotta Ho on here if it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                I agree with this completely.

However the golftown I've been to don't have many of the no charge upgrade shafts in their demo carts.

I find GT demo carts great for irons but lacking for woods. Is there a specific GT uve been to that has a good selection?

Woodbridges selection is terrible and Auroras was even worse last I checked.

I purchase all of my stuff at golftown but sometimes I wish they had more options to try. Most of my stuff is a shot in the dark with the shaft and then I gotta Ho on here if it doesn't work.
                I can't speak for the GTA locations, but the Kitchener Golf Town always seems to have the latest model drivers and a good selection of shafts. The fitters evaluating the numbers are also good too.
                10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

adjust your fitting venue to your playing ability. You can easily make a sow out of a silk purse if you don't.
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Just thought I'd respond to some of the comments:

1) the driver I did buy was from a store in Calgary called golftraders (who I learned about through the Internet) It is a 100 percent legit demo model that looks like it was hit almost never. It came with a headcover and full taylormade registered warranty for under 300 bucks. So although I didn't support golf town outside of paying for the fitting, I did support another Canadian retailer. Also I should say I have spent thousands of dollars at that same whitby golf town over the years on bags shoes balls putters irons etc... So the comment that implied I am the type of person putting golf town into bankruptcy is full of assumptions and just plain wrong.

2) I do see the point of some to buy the exact club working for you due to tolerances. But I guess I'm just not that picky.

3) also the MG fitting was a Christmas gift because I couldn't bring myself to spend 170 bucks for a fitting, but knew I would always wonder what MG was like/would recommend
                    Last edited by thedawson; Jan 28, 2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thedawson View Post

1) the driver I did buy was from a store in Calgary called golftraders (who I learned about through the Internet) It is a 100 percent legit demo model that looks like it was hit almost never. It came with a headcover and full taylormade registered warranty for under 300 bucks. So although I didn't support golf town outside of paying for the fitting, I did support another Canadian retailer. Also I should say I have spent thousands of dollars at that same whitby golf town over the years on bags shoes balls putters irons etc... So the comment that implied I am the type of person putting golf town into bankruptcy is full of assumptions and just plain wrong.

2) I do see the point of some to buy the exact club working for you due to tolerances. But I guess I'm just not that picky.

3) also the MG fitting was a Christmas gift because I couldn't bring myself to spend 170 bucks for a fitting, but knew I would always wonder what MG was like/would recommend
                      Golf Traders is owned by The Sweetspot Discount Golf, which is a Sask based business I would assume you are familiar with as well

Comment

Don't even think you need to defend anything, a business offered a fitting and you payed the price for the fitting.
                        Buying the product from them or some where else is a different story, consumers are in the market to get their needs with the least amount of money and businesses are in the market to make maximum profits even if buying or manufacturing offshore , or laying off employees to cut costs.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdieNumNum View Post
                          Don't even think you need to defend anything, a business offered a fitting and you payed the price for the fitting.
                          Buying the product from them or some where else is a different story, consumers are in the market to get their needs with the least amount of money and businesses are in the market to make maximum profits even if buying or manufacturing offshore , or laying off employees to cut costs.
                          Agree , the OP paid for both fittings . He did zero wrong and is under no obligation to purchase anything from either place. Both MG and GT were paid for the service they provided, end of story.
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Yes I agree some comments were uncalled for and probably due to boredom and a little sarcasm. We should have congratulated seeing as though you got an M1 for so cheap. (It is a demo however ) Cheers,
                            M1 430 9.5 Speeder 661 X
                            M1 3 H/L Speeder 757 X
                            Mizuno MP-4 3-PW
                            Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60
                            TA Tru-Milled 303SS

Comment

good read.. i have to say i agree with you summery
                              Epic 10.5 - Elements
                              Epic 3 wood - Elements
                              Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
                              King MB - Recoil Prototype
                              Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
                              Lamb Allendale
                              https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard