Collapse

Thundering Waters

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thundering Waters

I know the opinion of this course is varied. Is there enough decent holes to make the deal appealing. What about customer service and f&B? IMO its pretty good if you're already in the area but not so much for the 1.5 hour drive from Toronto.

https://www.underpar.com/courses/thundering-waters-golf-club
    Last edited by Bobogo; Apr 8, 2017, 10:40 AM.

Re: Thundering Waters

I have not played it but it has been on my radar for a little bit so take what I'm about to say in context. It sounds like most of the haters (term used loosely) have played it before it was shortened. Sounds like the shorter holes aren't bad but suck in comparison to the original version. The other problem is it changed from a good length to a bit of a shorter course. Having said that a couple years ago I emailed a few courses inquiring about birthday deal and while they do not offer one their reply was very gracious.

Again I have not played it but have been looking into the course for a while.
    I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

I've played this course many times being from the area. Definitely worth $50 a guy riding for 18. If you think it's too short, just play it from the tips. I know there's a lot of haters out there for the course but when I can get out there for $50 or less I will usually jump at it.

And if you're in the area you can always keep an eye out on GolfNow for either of the Legends courses (Usher's Creek or Battlefield) which usually have a few Hot Deals available for a good price. Or pop across the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge and hit up Hickory Sticks in Lewiston. Great track and can usually be had for $50-60US on GN.

Comment

I've only played it once and that was about 5 years ago but post shortening I think. My overall impression okay, but it had the feel of a course that had once been much better and that its best days were behind it.
        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
        Srixon Star XV
        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I absolutely love playing this course and anyone I've ever played with here loved it too. It's risk/reward for the low caps yet manageable and entertaining for the mid to high caps. There is A LOT going on with virtually every hole so it will play quite differently each time you play which keeps me coming back from Toronto. Plus it's only a 30 second drive to the falls for a breathtaking view.

Comment

Played it a few years ago for $30 with cart from Golfnow after it was shortened. A couple weak holes but definitely was worth that price. I also got the same vibe as dmcdam though I've only played it once- the course itself was pretty well maintained but with a couple of ground under repair spots. Seemed like it had potential to be a bit better.

What was the reasoning behind shortening some of the holes, pace of play? I'm pretty sure #1 was one of them and it was probably the weakest hole on the course.

edit - some information on why part of the course was moved/shortened http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/200...s-its-new-look
            Last edited by nubbie; Apr 8, 2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Used to be better, before they altered the Front 9, but the Back 9 was always superior anyway.

Made 1 of only 3 Eagles I've ever made at #18, so I'm not going to say I don't like the course.

Driving range you can't hit Driver on was always an oddity, since it was a "John Daly" course
              Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

I'd recommend it for $50 or less. Since they've shortened it, it's not quite as good. Once you get past the first hole though, it's more than tolerable. Will say that it's usually in very good condition.
                Bridgestone J715 10.5
                Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
                Adams Super LS 17d.
                Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
                Scratch 8620 53d.
                Callaway X-forged 58d.
                Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
                Srixon Q-star tour

Comment

$89 for 2 with cart, it is worth at least that much, intersting fun course to play

Comment

Originally posted by Bobogo View Post
                    I know the opinion of this course is varied. Is there enough decent holes to make the deal appealing. What about customer service and f&B? IMO its pretty good if you're already in the area but not so much for the 1.5 hour drive from Toronto.

https://www.underpar.com/courses/thu...ters-golf-club

It's back on underpar for 89 for two. So that's a great deal IMO. I'd say the service is pretty good in terms of proshop and starters are always willing to talk and tell you if a second or third round is possible. As for the food and beverage. The food...it's awful. The food in the club house is all microwaved burgers, hotdogs and fries. I think it's better at the Lion's Den which is sort of half way house thats situated at the crossing of 4 or 5 holes if memory services me right.

As for the course itself. The greens are fun, nothing spectacular but in good condition considering the number of rounds they get. Fairways in great shape and nothing wrong with the tee boxes. Pace of play is slower on weekend mornings but we always finish in around 4.5 hours. It just feels slower because there is ALWAYS a delay at the 3rd tee box. It's a long difficult par 3 that gets everyone bunched up. But it's followed by back to back par 5's so it opens up after that.

My person opinion on the course is that it's fun to play, because as someone else mentioned, it's very much a risk reward course. It's a par 72 but has 3 par 3's and 3 par 5's per 9. And if you play the correct tee boxes almost all the par 5's are reachable with solid drives. I never got to play it before it was shortened so I can't say if it's any better. But it looks like from the comments i've written it looks like it was better before it was shortened?

Comment

Get the first hole out of the way and not a bad course. I have played it a number of times. I would not pay rack for it but, betweeen coupons and online deals you can get decent rates.

Comment

Played last year and was not worth the price if you can get a deal around 50$ then it's not bad. We were in Niagara Falls for 4 days paid full price for 1st day second morning we book last minute a few hours before on tee it up and paid 30$ each for 18 and cart

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X