Collapse

Driving Iron/1 iron

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving Iron/1 iron

Been reading a bit about these and how they can really help out your game when you're not feeling the driver or for shots where you need that extra distance.

What are some of your thoughts on carrying this club? Does anyone use one, and if so what is the price range and some of the brands who make them?

Thanks

Re: Driving Iron/1 iron

that will take up a lot of valuable real-estate in your bag for the 1-2 holes you'll use it.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
      that will take up a lot of valuable real-estate in your bag for the 1-2 holes you'll use it.
      Agreed, considered getting a TM UDI early last year when my driver and 3 wood were giving me hassles...

I'm still one of the rarities that uses a 3 iron, and effectively for that matter, but just couldn't justify removing a club to accommodate the UDI unless I pulled the driver or the fairway, and I just couldn't do it...

Thankfully, my fairway started coming along late last summer and then the driver clicked.

UDI is a great idea, but somewhat like the 'mini-driver' idea just difficult to make it fit.

- Ian
      TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
      TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
      TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
      TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
      TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
      * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
      TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
      TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
      TM TP5 Golf Ball
      Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
      SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
      Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Picked up a mint Nike VR 2 Iron (17*) for $40 but really only to complete my set. I swap out the 5w for it sometimes for fun but that's it. Not a high impact club given my abilities though it's fun to throw in once in awhile.

The Titleist T-MB/712U go down to 18* lofts I believe and the Mizuno H5 has a 1 iron 16*. Taylormade has their UDI. Pricing wise they're not cheap and in the realm of hybrid pricing.

For me these clubs are too hot off the deck into Par 5's and off the tee I can crank my 5w or worst case hybrid much more reliably if the driver is not doing the job that round. Low mileage club for me.

Comment

Originally posted by lebrams View Post
          Been reading a bit about these and how they can really help out your game when you're not feeling the driver or for shots where you need that extra distance.

What are some of your thoughts on carrying this club? Does anyone use one, and if so what is the price range and some of the brands who make them?

Thanks
          Price varies from about $80 for an older Adams DHy to $170 for a Mizuno MPH5, and then on up for a Srixon 745U/765U/Taylormade UDI around $200, and then to the top of the realm at about $300 for a Ping Rapture/Crossover, Titleist 716TMB, and Callaway Apex Driving Iron. I am sure you can go up and above that too with some little known Japanese/boutique brands like Fourteen, Yonex, XXIO, Tour Stage, Miura, etc...and I've seen the chunkier PXG iron used as a driving iron in some tour bags, namely Patrick Reed.

To answer your second question, my thoughts are don't do it. If you are really struggling that poorly with a driver and fairway wood and your best option is truly using an iron for everything, go get some lessons. I can guarantee you that if you spend around the cost of the Mizuno, so around $150 in lessons, a GOOD CPGA pro should be able to help you get your woods figured out but probably help you in other facets of your game. As for hitting them off of the fairway/rough, they generally come out too low with not enough carry to make them viable options for most of the soggy parkland courses in North America that promote carry. If we lived in the UK, that'd be a different story.

Comment

i like driving irons however I find they are very limited in their uses. Also I dont think I would ever carry one with less then 18-19* loft.

They are great tee clubs for hitting low stingers but they can be a bit finicky off the ground (very dependant on lie and conditions)

I love my Adams Super DHY however i seldomly bag it as my 3 Hybrid can do everyting my Super DHY can to some degree and more.

The DHY is a bit easier to flight if needed but thats about it. However I am pretty good at flighting my hybrid.

Comment

Waiting on my wishon 321,1 iron in the mail

Comment

I have tried many many hybrids, yet keep reverting back to my 712U 2 Iron.

Comment

If you're not hitting the driver well, chances are you probably won't hit the driving iron well either.
                  10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
                  16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
                  20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
                  4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
                  Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

I have a UDI 1 iron. I have bagged it before when I am having trouble with the driver and exclusively used it off the tee. It is good for 240 carry for me. It is a tee'd up club only. If you struggle to hit your long irons or have a slow swing speed a driving iron really is not the right club. It is also a pretty waste of a spot in the bag, I replaced it when I finally found a 5 wood that I can hit 9/10 times very good, it goes the same yardage but can be used for so many different purposes and would actually stop on the green.

But who am I to preach...if you want to try a 1 iron out then go for it! It worked for me until I found a club that did it's purpose better and did more.
                    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott

Comment

I added a #2 T-MB to the bag at the end of last season. It's been a love/hate relationship more so hate at the end of the season when my swing went south. The only clubs I could hit was driver and 3wood.

Got new sticks in the bag for this season. Moving from blades back to cavity backs. Added a #2 hybrid (can't hit hybrids for some reason but my buddies keep telling me to try again) so we'll see if that replaces the T-MB.

Didn't Lee Trevino say that not even God can hit a 1iron? lol

Comment

I had a Tommy Armour Silver Scot blade 1 iron that I inherited from my dad about 8 years ago that was fun to have in the bag as the 15th club some days. I basically just hit it off the tee like a stinger/driving iron thing. My miss hits went about 180, my good strikes about 215-220 (17* loft, so basically a 5 wood). It was fun once and a while, but to permanently replace a 3w/4w/5w with one didn't make sense to me then, and still doesn't to me now. In most cases I was hitting 2 extra clubs into a hole that I didn't need to do so on, worst case scenario I was ending up in a position just as crooked as an errant drive but a good 50+ yards shorter than if I had a driver/3w instead.

Comment

The only time mine comes out is on windy days to replace the hybrid.

Comment

If you want an inexpensive, but still good quality driving iron to try, get the Dynacraft Driving iron.

Bettinardi BEBG-1501 Staff Bag (Riding 14 Clubs)
                            TRPX S-013 1W 9.5 | RomaRo Ray Type-R 5W+ 17 & UT 19 | United SBB1 Tour 3-PW & SBW2 53/57 | Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Honma CB-3202 Stand Bag (Walking 12 Clubs)
                            Baldo 8C Craft Brassy 2W 13 | George Spirit GTFW 5W 18 | Honma TW-U 21 & TW717M 4-PW | Romaro Alcobaca Stream Tour 58 | Bettinardi BB35

Comment

Originally posted by Carlton View Post
                              I added a #2 T-MB to the bag at the end of last season. It's been a love/hate relationship more so hate at the end of the season when my swing went south. The only clubs I could hit was driver and 3wood.

Got new sticks in the bag for this season. Moving from blades back to cavity backs. Added a #2 hybrid (can't hit hybrids for some reason but my buddies keep telling me to try again) so we'll see if that replaces the T-MB.

Didn't Lee Trevino say that not even God can hit a 1iron? lol
                              Hey Carlton - Similar to you, just don't hit a hybrid as consistently as my 3/4 irons...

I know most pundits would say in my handicap bracket, I should shelve the 3, 4 and even the 5 iron and it just doesn't ring true for me as off the deck, I can hit these clubs consistently 220, 200 and 185 with ease...

Stick with what works I say!
                              TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                              TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
                              TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
                              TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
                              TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
                              * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
                              TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
                              TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
                              TM TP5 Golf Ball
                              Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                              SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
                              Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X