Collapse

REVIEW: Nike Black Oz T130

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVIEW: Nike Black Oz T130

Here is the feature set for the putter itself. I will include MY REVIEW below the picture. Pls go easy on me on the grammar and speeling erors.
    The Nike OZ Black T130* oversized mallet putter has the highest MOI and resistance to twisting in the OZ putter line. This added stability is provided by two 65 gram tungsten weights that are positioned rearward in the extreme heel and toe of the clubhead. Moving weight rearward in the putter reduces skidding for a truer roll, while the polarity of the tungsten weights provides the stability on off-center hits that keeps putts on their intended line.
    Dual Density Weighting
    Combining a lightweight aluminum body (65% lighter than steel) with high-density tungsten weight plugs moves weight away from the clubface to reduce skidding on putts of all lengths.

Polymer Insert
    In addition to enhancing feel, the soft polymer insert keeps the ball in contact with the face longer to promote a truer roll. The ultra lightweight (63% lighter than aluminum) polymer also allows for more perimeter weighting, which increases clubhead stability.

Face Balanced
    All OZ Black putters are face balanced to promote a square face at impact.

Computer Numerically Controlled Milled Face
    Each putter face is milled flat to precise tolerances to enhance accuracy and predictability across the clubface.

Dual Site Lines
    The dual site lines facilitate squaring the clubface at address to keep putts on target.

Double Bend Stepless Steel Shaft by True Temper
    C-Thru Grip by Lamkin
    This soft, high-tack thermoplastic rubber paddle-style grip provides for a comfortable, solid feel.

Looks:
    I will be the first to admit it. If it wasn't for Michelle Wie playing this putter, I would've never picked it up. I'm not a big fan of oversize mallet style putters and centre shaft putters so please keep this in mind when reading this review. One thing I realize is that with the centre shaft, the symmetry of this putter is very nice. The matte black body and black insert gives the putter a very distinct look and a very welcomed change from the Blue chip putter. Other than the looks of the putter head, the grip was pretty cool too. Its a see through Lamkin grip and it was FREAKINGLISHLY tacky. More on that later. The two sightlines are a good idea. One on the top and one in the flange. Makes for very easy alignment. Also, as mentioned before, the nice symmetry makes for easy alignment as well in my opinion. My only wish was that they had not put the OZ emblem on the face. Oh well, can't win them all.

Feel:
    This putter has a very nice feel to it. You would think that for such a large body putter, it would be heavy. Not at all. If you read the body composition above the picture, then you'll understand why. The aluminum body makes the putter lighter than it looks for sure. As for the two tungsten weighting in the back, it definitely adds to MOI. More on that in the "Forgiveness" section. Taking the putter back and stroking it, this is more for the straight back and straight through stroke. The putter has a very FUTURA like feel to it. Unlike the 2ball or heavier putters, the putter does not domiate the putting stroke. It has a very nice pendulum like feel to it and it is not overbearing in terms of not being able to control it. Futura-like but much better looking. However, it sounds much more muted than the futura and it can be attributed to the polymer insert. However, if you catch the ball on the upswing and "blade" the putt, you will get a very distinct "Ping" sound. Kinda like a Ping Anser with a sound slot. This is very good in my opinion as it lets you know when you've mi**** a putt. With that in mind, lets go to forgiveness. Oh, one last thing before moving on, the feel of the grip is crazy tacky. If you were holding the putter and I tried to yank it out of your hands, it'll surely peel the skin along with it. CRAZY tacky. The combination of the muted sound and the soft grip makes this putter very "soft".

Forgiveness:
    Wow, 10/10. I believe this is one thing that most consumers overlook when purchasing a putter. Aside from a heel shafted blade putter (think Phil M's putter), I believe most golfers don't give forgiveness enough thought when purchasing a putter. Most think about weight, length, ease of alignment, feel. I seriously think most golfers should look at forgiveness on putters just as much as any other club. Unless of course, you're an excellent putter. Anyways, this is by far the most forgiving putter outside the Odyssey 3ball or Ping Doc 17. The only difference between the Nike vs Odyssey/Ping is that it's manageable to look at. LOL. On off center hits, it was rolling just as true-to-line as centre hits. This definitely can be attributed to the two massive back weighting and all the perimeter weighting. I also like to think the centre shaft playing a big role in it. It'll resist less twisting than say a heel shafted putter. The one great thing about this putter is that your mis-hits will sound a little different than centre hits so this gives excellent feedback on your stroke while you're not being punished by the result.

Performance:
    I was demoing this putter and made almost every single putt. Albeit not all went into the hole but almost 90% of the putts went exactly where I aimed and putted it. The other 10% can be attributed to human error (not a centre shaft fan). I purposedly missed on the toe on a few putts (ie. aligning the ball on the toe instead of cutting across) and it still went where I expect centre hits to go. This makes it a very forgving putter and very result friendly for the less fortunate golfers who are challenged with the flatstick. The ball came off the face very nicely and you almost get immediate feedback. Putting a good stroke on the ball yields the same result as flushing a Miura forged iron. It's an amazing feel. If I gave you some earplugs, you wouldn't even know you struck a ball. This is due to the extreme perimeter weighting.

Overall:
    With me being a Scotty fan, I'm still a heel toe blade style putter. It may be the ego/loyalist within me not letting go of the Scotty Cameron putter. The T130 Black Oz is by far one of the best "oversize" putters I've tried. The Callaway 3ball is pretty nice to putt with also but the looks of it is...well, quite big. I would not hesitate to recommend this to any of my friends but not to the guys I play against. I think if I was to pick up a putter other than a Scotty, this would be it.
    Last edited by westbeach; Mar 13, 2006, 03:57 PM.

Re: REVIEW: Nike Black Oz T130

It's funny that a review on this putter goes up today...

I tried this putter out at GT on the weekend and found it very much the same as Westbeach did. From about 20 feet away I only hit 10 or so putts with it, but they all bee-lined for the hole or stopped within 18 inches of it. I was impressed by its perfomance, but it's ugly as hell so I put it right back up on the shelf. I wonder what the MOI is on it?
    Cobra S2 10.5 - Stock Fuji
    Cobra Baffler TWS 20 - Aldila NVS
    Cobra Baffler TWS 23 - Aldila NVS
    5-PW Mizuno MX23 - DGS300
    Mizuno MP-R 52.07 - DGS300
    X-Forged MD 56 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
    X-Forged MD 60 - Rifle Spinner 5.5
    Odyssey Black Tour Design #9
    Titleist ProV1x

Comment

Originally posted by laxgolf
      I wonder what the MOI is on it?
      a lot, around 6700

Comment

Do you guys know how they calculate that?

Comment

I tried one of those recently too, not bad but very ugly on my eyes. It felt lighter than I expected, I liked the feel of the C thru grip, pretty sure I would not buy one though but somewhat of an improvement over previous Nike putters.

Comment

One of my bosses got it this year with his package....seems like it would do great things but wow is it ugly. I think the Ugl-e is better.
            WITB:
            SIM
            Stealth+
            MMC 4-P
            T4 52
            T22 56
            T22 60
            Spider S

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse