The "OFFICIAL" 2014 Ryder Cup thread

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "OFFICIAL" 2014 Ryder Cup thread

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
    No one is trying to argue here, discuss is a better term. In fact we are all looking for solutions. I am a fan of the GAO index and can't see why people (mostly OG'ers it would seem) would object to spending $30 on this considering how much we all spend on golf, equipment and this weekend alone. it's a drop in the bucket.
    Agree. 100%
    Epic 10.5 - Elements
    Epic 3 wood - Elements
    Mizuno JPX900 -22* Veylix Rome 988X
    King MB - Recoil Prototype
    Fourteen - 52/56/60PM -Recoil Prototype
    Lamb Allendale
    https://www.instagram.com/makerofputts/

Comment

Originally posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
      Its the fact I wouldn't use it for any other purpose than this event. I only play recreationally now, so I use free handicapping software. And in the past, it has been accepted from any handicap source.
      as do i for the most part. I played one event last year where i needed it and shelled out $30. No biggie and if it alleviates all this banter, its worth every penny.
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I only keep a GAO index for the purpose of this event because I needed one. I don't mind the $30 to keep a cap and support Golf Canada, as for the career round ending in a 1up match, I played someone who shot in the 60s as a 12 capper, match was over on hole 11........regardless of how the caps are done, I enjoy the weekend, I look forward to it and enjoy the time spent on the course, meeting new people and putting faces to names and avatars................OH and then there's Maddy! the real reason I keep coming back every year
        MEMBER OF THE 2008/2011/2014/2016TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Albatross View Post
          I only keep a GAO index for the purpose of this event because I needed one. I don't mind the $30 to keep a cap and support Golf Canada, as for the career round ending in a 1up match, I played someone who shot in the 60s as a 12 capper, match was over on hole 11
          Statistically damn near impossible. So rare that the USGA doesn't even post the odds of this happening. The USGA site publishes the odds of a 12 capper shooting a -10 differential (+2) as 1 in 84300. Believe this result was 5 shots better than that. Can't even imagine what the odds would be. I haven't played any GAO events, but I have to wonder how they'd handle it. I doubt they would let it slide.

It's things like this that has the TGN side looking for a more transparent solution. This was the most glaring occurrence, but not the only one.

Comment

Mike, you said that no solutions were offered. Here's one. Dump the players who don't track their caps accurately. Without addressing this concern head on the perceived problem would not be resolved even if all players had a GAO handicap card. Either you trust the people you're playing with and against, or you don't. If players believe that some competitors are padding or have padded their caps by fudging their scores, then those players should be identified and shown the door, if their deceit is established. Otherwise, the "problem" is merely papered over by ensuring that higher handicap players don't receive the strokes to which they would normally be entitled. This might level out the matches somewhat for those folks, if they are present, who have inflated their caps. This "solution", however, works a disadvantage on the higher handicapped player, who honestly track their scores.

My interest in this is not born out of a self-interest in seeing the team from the nation's capital win, but because I see it as being an unfair solution. Having said that, I will play under the terms that have already been agreed to by the captains. Good luck in the competition to all members of the TGN team.
            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

In all fairness, he did appologize. And I'm not going to lie, it was entertaining to watch....but I did get served

Comment

Originally posted by P25 View Post
                Statistically damn near impossible. So rare that the USGA doesn't even post the odds of this happening. The USGA site publishes the odds of a 12 capper shooting a -10 differential (+2) as 1 in 84300. Believe this result was 5 shots better than that. Can't even imagine what the odds would be. I haven't played any GAO events, but I have to wonder how they'd handle it. I doubt they would let it slide.

It's things like this that has the TGN side looking for a more transparent solution. This was the most glaring occurrence, but not the only one.

http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14410
                Come on guys. Let's stop digging up this dead body. It was 1 point, and you guys lost by more than 1 point that year. Time to move on.
                When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

Screw the golf, think you guys should just duke it out.

Comment

Manny, you're confusing golf with hockey.

Originally posted by MannyR View Post

Comment

Unfortunately being captain is not always a easy spot to chair, both sides can debate this to death and no one will be any farther ahead ,but I as one will show up to play, hopefully with being healthy for a change, have fun and hopefully contribute a point or two. Let the captains captain and the players bring the game and hope for once we have a sunny and warm weekend,
                      Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                      Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                      Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                      Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                      Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                      Pro V1x Left Dash
                      Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                      Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Forget that sunshine. We always have a day of rain or showers. It's tradition!

I hope that you're feeling well this June.

Originally posted by hannah View Post
                        Unfortunately being captain is not always a easy spot to chair, both sides can debate this to death and no one will be any farther ahead ,but I as one will show up to play, hopefully with being healthy for a change, have fun and hopefully contribute a point or two. Let the captains captain and the players bring the game and hope for once we have a sunny and warm weekend,

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                          Forget that sunshine. We always have a day of rain or showers. It's tradition!

I hope that you're feeling well this June.
                          Ya, can't fool with tradition, couldn't even bend to tie my shoes last yr , will pack the rain suit just in case...
                          Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                          Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                          Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                          Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                          Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                          Pro V1x Left Dash
                          Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                          Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Originally posted by LobWedge View Post
                            Come on guys. Let's stop digging up this dead body. It was 1 point, and you guys lost by more than 1 point that year. Time to move on.
                            It's one glaring match of many that have apparently had the same sort of feeling. As I've said before, I'm all for full handicaps. Really am. The competition is fun. I don't let these kinds of things bother me one bit quite honestly. It's unfortunate we even have to have this discussion.
                            Last edited by P25; Jan 24, 2014, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MannyR View Post
                              IN...lol

Comment

I'm in.
                                ----
                                Long Live the Patriarchy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays