Collapse

Again I ask about keepng an HC

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Again I ask about keepng an HC

To obtain a valid handicap, you must comply with the rules for obtaining one. If you have no interest in doing so, then you shouldn't be surprised that you can't obtain a legitimate cap. More to the point, if obtaining a legitimate handicap factor is of no interest to you, why would you raise this subject in a thread?

Originally posted by Under3 View Post
    Well when someone states that my HC is not legitimate, I need to ask and really wonder why it is such a big deal if I do any of these transgressions (i.e. try a shot over, practice putt after I missed, hit two balls and only count the first....).

As for Mule56, I guess I will stay out of any events next year (no skin off my teeth).
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Well when someone states that my HC is not legitimate, I need to ask and really wonder why it is such a big deal if I do any of these transgressions (i.e. try a shot over, practice putt after I missed, hit two balls and only count the first....).
      You have asked.. multiple times now. What makes you think the responses are going to change a few months later? I don't think anyone on here really gives a rats a$$ what you say your cap is in person since your game will speak for itself. But if your going to come on here and talk about shooting low scores or your cap is a 4 (arbitrary number.. I don't know what you claim to be) then people are going to have a problem with that based on your playing habits that you've openly shared over and over.

I don't really carry a cap as I don't play in tournaments or money games with people that follow the rules to a T. However, if I did and I was reading how your a 4 cap and I'm sitting here at a 7, I would probably take it the same way as when I shoot a legit 85 and my friend takes mulligans and foot wedges and tries to tell me he beat me with an 84.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
        To obtain a valid handicap, you must comply with the rules for obtaining one. If you have no interest in doing so, then you shouldn't be surprised that you can't obtain a legitimate cap. More to the point, if obtaining a legitimate handicap factor is of no interest to you, why would you raise this subject in a thread?
        That's a good question.

Golf has some rules.

If you want to swat a ball around a golf course and have fun - fill your boots.

But a handicap is a number based on scores based on rules.

If you want a handicap but don't want to follow the rules... that doesn't make a lot of sense.

In modern parenting and discourse we are taught to not disparage the person.

In that vein, I'm not going to call the OP an idiot. But his opionions, thoughts, statements, posts, etc. are all idiotic.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

I read another thread where again aaagc tells one and all that if you play ultiple shots, replay a shot, practice putt during a round...... that you technically can not log a score.

Ask questions about the proper golf etiquette to follow while on the course. Or discuss how to apply official rules and local course rules to your game.

Why should it matter to anyone how I play or what I put down as a score (if not affecting someone else's game) if for all intents and purposes I am a "reverse sandbagger", whereby I'm posting lower scores then I should (of course hypothetical)?

I plan on playing today late in the day and know for a fact I will play extra balls and keep score on the first one. If anything that should (if I play loose with the rules) result on a lower HC then I really should have.

As long as I play by the rules in a tournament, this should be an advantage to all my opponents.
          False cap decreases your chance for good net score and chance for medal but it could also be a drag for genuine division one guys to play with someone who is actually not necessarily a hack but not at the same level.

It is also a culture shock for one who doesn't normally play by the rules of golf and play in a tournament and play it down start to finish.
          All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fuji Atmos Red
          4-wood : Tour Edge Lift-Off AnyLie 16.5°
          3-PW : Nike Victory Red II ProCombo
          Wedges : Nike VRII 52-degree / 58-degree
          Putter : Odyssey White Ice #9

Comment

"The More I practice, the luckier I get" - Gary Player

910D2
            909H 15*
            AP2 710 3-5i
            710mb 6-PW
            BV 52*/4 56*/4
            All kinds of putters

http://instagram.com/normster

Comment

Originally posted by xrox View Post
              I have no problem with this. Play by the strict rules in any competition and then play however the hell you like recreationally.

I just don't see how or why anyone would have a problem with this??

If you are not following the rules, then your handicap is not a valid handicap. So why bother scoring those rounds or even keeping a handicap?
              Otherwise, as long as you are not slowing down play, knock your sox off and play all the balls that you want.

Comment

As for Mule56, I guess I will stay out of any events next year (no skin off my teeth).
                There are rules about handicapping. If you do not follow them, then your handicap isn't legitimate. Period. You may not like or understand the rules, but they are the rules. Follow them or don't, but don't complain about them.
                In the words of Barry Bonds, "next question".

Comment

Originally posted by sLuGo View Post

Comment

So I want to be 100% clear..... No one here who keeps a HC has ever once taken an extra putt, tried another shot over, practiced or tried the chip again, re-did their putt, or try a shot out of the bunker (like I usually try on the replica road hole or from a different deck on #17@ wooden sticks) to see what they may have missed or done incorrectly the first time or just for fun??? All of those would result in an improper HC (or an invalid score).

Again what I said is that I am scoring properly my original ball, but am hitting additional shots throughout the round.

My bad......

Comment

So I want to be 100% clear..... No one here who keeps a HC has ever once taken an extra putt, tried another shot over, practiced or tried the chip again, re-did their putt, or try a shot out of the bunker (like I usually try on the replica road hole or from a different deck on #17@ wooden sticks) to see what they may have missed or done incorrectly the first time or just for fun??? All of those would result in an improper HC (or an invalid score).

Again what I said is that I am scoring properly my original ball, but am hitting additional shots throughout the round.

My bad......
                      Nope.

Comment

My bad......
                        You are actually allowed, within the rules, to practice putt after you have holed out (rule 7-2 I think).
                        So, in that respect, yes, I've done that... within the rules... and not invalidated my handicap.
                        As for the rest of the antics. No.
                        If I'm taking multiple shots from anywhere, it's something I'm doing during a dusk practice round, and the score isn't getting posted.

On the plus side, it's nice to hear you are now putting the ball Anthony.

Comment

My bad......
                          ***bangs head against wall***

Comment

Playing two balls every hole is not permitted for handicap purposes, but the odd extra practice shot is. Think you could find the happy medium there?

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handi...l/Decision-05/

5-1a/5. Status of Scores Made when Two Balls Played Throughout Round

Q: A player frequently plays alone and plays two balls throughout the round. May the player return the score made with each ball for handicap purposes?

A: No. The player may not return the score made with either ball, as such scores are not made in accordance with the Rules of Golf - see Rule 7-2 of "The Rules of Golf."

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Handi...sion-04/#4-2/1

Q: What is meant by the phrase "in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf" in "The USGA Handicap System" manual?

A: The phrase "in accordance with the principles of the Rules of Golf " refers to situations where the player has played a hole in such a manner that the score would be sufficiently accurate to be used for handicap computation purposes. Occasionally, holes are not played strictly in accordance with the Rules of Golf. Thus, flexibility has been provided in the USGA Handicap System for a score to remain acceptable for handicap posting purposes in certain situations. This policy better ascertains the player's potential ability by attempting to capture more scores for handicap purposes than just those made in accordance with the Rules of Golf. For example, a player starting but not finishing a hole in stroke play (e.g., picking up before holing out) records the "most likely score" for handicap purposes (see Section 4-1).

Comment

You just can't get away from your old habits, no matter which handle you sign up under. Please don't search me out for any rounds at Sleepy, I enjoy playing stress free with the intention of scoring for HDCP purposes. Until you can fully grasp this concept, I encourage you to stay away from any member events as you will quickly find yourself under the microscope at any private course.

Comment

Under3, why not just call yours a Wendy Cap?
                                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X